Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Return of the S2000.....

#1 User is offline   ST270 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: 09-July 12
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Head of Honda R & D interview....

The S2000 will return (along with NSX, Type R & Beat)


http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=26811

#2 User is offline   MSC 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,032
  • Joined: 18-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Peak District, Derbyshire.
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Fingers crossed and please don't be a hybrid! Posted Image
**MSC*7*X*WDC**
Posted Image
PSN: JB_Player_1

#3 User is offline   ST270 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: 09-July 12
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

 MSC, on 11 December 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Fingers crossed and please don't be a hybrid! Posted Image


Nah Honda will be wanting a slice of the GT86 market I reckon - same recipe but they might do a coupe / folding tin top?

#4 User is online   unclefester 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 11,174
  • Joined: 28-June 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Herts some place
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Be awesome if they up the build quality without doubling the price too.
Posted Image



#5 User is offline   Nezquick 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 515
  • Joined: 26-November 09
  • Location:Preston

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

They might even use all those 08/09 engines from the S2000 which they still have left over in the factory! ;)

#6 User is offline   Dembo 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 9,849
  • Joined: 29-October 05
  • Location:Banbury, Oxfordshire

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

I always thought the lack of metal folding roof was one of the few things that really dates the S2000.

I reckon they'll do something small, folding roof, and FWD. Think Vauxhall Tigra.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   ST270 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: 09-July 12
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

 Dembo, on 11 December 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

I always thought the lack of metal folding roof was one of the few things that really dates the S2000.

I reckon they'll do something small, folding roof, and FWD. Think Vauxhall Tigra.


You may have a point but if it had a mechanical lsd with fwd then it wouldn't be a total loss.

We had a Lotus Elan M100 prior to our S2000 and it was the grippiest and most confidence inspiring car I have driven on UK roads! You could throw it into bends with total abandonment at silly speeds and it would just track round - granted not as rewarding as when you get a twisty just right in the S2 but fun all the same.

I really hope it is nothing like a Tigra - shame on you! haha

This post has been edited by ST270: 11 December 2012 - 10:27 AM


#8 User is offline   PhilipGB 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 814
  • Joined: 16-March 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

 Nezquick, on 11 December 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

They might even use all those 08/09 engines from the S2000 which they still have left over in the factory! ;)


Aren't they being saved for warranty replacements?

I'm going to make a leap and predict a KERS system. A 1.6 'F1' inspired turbo engine and still a rag top all to coincide with their return to F1 engine manufacturing.

#9 User is offline   s2k4tony 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,592
  • Joined: 22-November 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pieland
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:E90 330d M Sport

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

I do think it will return, looking pretty similar but obviously uglier (that's generally what happens!) with melted longer front lights, more nannying etc. No doubt something will be amiss, it will be a creation for the masses and not the purists (aka FN2). Honda these days think about emissions and their wallet, for the fun of it I think a Hybrid will get developed in a few years time, perhaps for the U.S market.
The 08/09 engines should be sold with a piece of glass, 4 legs, a set of coffee coasters and a mug tree :LOL:
The next version I reckon will have either some trick technology for economy, if the VTEC engine is re-designed with eco in mind. Otherwise a turbo charger could be on the cards.
Suck it and see eh.... :baby:

#10 User is offline   Dembo 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 9,849
  • Joined: 29-October 05
  • Location:Banbury, Oxfordshire

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

 PhilipGB, on 11 December 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

I'm going to make a leap and predict a KERS system. A 1.6 'F1' inspired turbo engine and still a rag top all to coincide with their return to F1 engine manufacturing.


Actually a 1.6 high-revving turbo V6 sounds quite good. :burnrubr:

#11 User is offline   earl's_f20c 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 2,489
  • Joined: 17-February 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicken Town
  • Country: Colombia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Good news :thumbup:

Also, fun reading the PH comments underneath, that place has gone to the dogs since I last checked it :smelly:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   MB 

  • Group: UK Moderator
  • Posts: 32,611
  • Joined: 15-April 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sunshine Coast - England UK
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

I couldn't even bear to click on the forum comments about this on PH, as it's far too predicatable and full of idiots.

Don't think the S2000 will be back in the next 2-3 years.

#13 User is offline   Toms1989 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,405
  • Joined: 24-May 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Bit like the old Calibra.... that was supposed to be making a comeback some 5 years ago... still waiting :LOL:

#14 User is offline   MSC 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,032
  • Joined: 18-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Peak District, Derbyshire.
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I gave up on PH, too many keyboard warriors who know it all. Not like this place though Posted Image Posted Image

If its convertible, which it should be, I hope its not a folding metal roof - they weigh a ton don't they? If they aren't going to build something lightish and focused back to basics, then dont bother. We don't want another SLK or TT!

#15 User is offline   SCZ4 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 660
  • Joined: 07-June 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeen
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

I like to think I've remained realistic as to the capabilities of the S2000, the great bits and the not so good bits. I think most of the views on PH are a fair reflection. We all know the great bits, engine, looks, gearbox, noise...... But without a doubt the lack of steering feel is definitely the cars biggest disappoinement and really makes for nervous driving at 9/10ths or 10/10ths. Gearing could also be improved, shorter ratios with a tall 6th would be better.

For me, it's hard to be optimistic that a new S2000 will be as good as the original. Every manufacturer, except for Porsche are going the wrong way, getting heavier and turbo engines... Such a shame.

This post has been edited by SCZ4: 11 December 2012 - 02:37 PM


#16 User is offline   j8mie 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 8,887
  • Joined: 02-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:There's no i in toast!
  • Country: Japan
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, games, movies

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

When I see one for sale at my local Honda dealer I will start to get excited. Honda have been full of hot air promises of late, so I'm not holding my breath.

#17 User is offline   minvo 

  • UK Events Co-ordinator
  • View gallery
  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Posts: 2,203
  • Joined: 02-August 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:www.Facebook.com/minvo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

I'm gonna be slightly more optimistic. Savings account opened already - LOL

Minvo.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MODS: K&N Fuel Injection Performace Kit (GenII), Spoon Strut Brace, J's Racing Radiator Cooling Plate, Crome 4 Wheel Respray, BMWChop EBay Special Rear Spoiler, Perfect_Bodykits EBay Special Front Corner Spats, EBay Special Bonnet Dampers, some very sexy Spoon Socks, a Spoon T (sorry that should be a Tea Spoon) and ... Oh, of course... the superb Minions!

Please have a clicky on Minvo's OneDrive Picture Gallery (includes FULL HD photos from ALL the meets I have attended)

Mine Is Needing Vtec On :: Minvo's Insane Noisy Vtec Obsession :: Minsy Is Normally Very Observant
www.Minvo.com

#18 User is offline   cat5cable 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 409
  • Joined: 15-December 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suffolk
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:fireblades catermarans

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

well their motorbikes keep getting better so fingers crossed. :thumbup:

ginger

#19 User is offline   Scottland 

  • Group: Guest New
  • Posts: 787
  • Joined: 16-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Wales
  • Country: United Kingdom

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

I think I'd rather have a soft top than a folding tin-top?

#20 User is offline   E4RTH WORM JIM 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 4,798
  • Joined: 20-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Yorkshire
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:Comptech Power

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

 SCZ4, on 11 December 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I like to think I've remained realistic as to the capabilities of the S2000, the great bits and the not so good bits. I think most of the views on PH are a fair reflection. We all know the great bits, engine, looks, gearbox, noise...... But without a doubt the lack of steering feel is definitely the cars biggest disappoinement and really makes for nervous driving at 9/10ths or 10/10ths. Gearing could also be improved, shorter ratios with a tall 6th would be better.

For me, it's hard to be optimistic that a new S2000 will be as good as the original. Every manufacturer, except for Porsche are going the wrong way, getting heavier and turbo engines... Such a shame.


Unfortunately this bloke speaks the truth.

I too find it hard to imagine that Honda are capible of producing anything modern that would match the S2000.

Times are changing, but I really hope I'm wrong!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
My S2000 - [URL=http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/954146-ewjs-ultimate-ultimate-s2000/[/URL] <span style='color:red'><b>F

#21 User is offline   C7 JFW 

  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 2,407
  • Joined: 25-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Essex, UK
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:Tech, Cars, Property & Good Living

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

 E4RTH WORM JIM, on 12 December 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

 SCZ4, on 11 December 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I like to think I've remained realistic as to the capabilities of the S2000, the great bits and the not so good bits. I think most of the views on PH are a fair reflection. We all know the great bits, engine, looks, gearbox, noise...... But without a doubt the lack of steering feel is definitely the cars biggest disappoinement and really makes for nervous driving at 9/10ths or 10/10ths. Gearing could also be improved, shorter ratios with a tall 6th would be better.

For me, it's hard to be optimistic that a new S2000 will be as good as the original. Every manufacturer, except for Porsche are going the wrong way, getting heavier and turbo engines... Such a shame.


Unfortunately this bloke speaks the truth.

I too find it hard to imagine that Honda are capible of producing anything modern that would match the S2000.

Times are changing, but I really hope I'm wrong!


Agreed on both points.
Posted Image
The S2000 with a longer wip than a marriage & the pursuit of the epitome of modifications.
It's pretty easy to ruin a great car. I'm trying to make the ultimate S2000.
http://c7jfw.blogspot.co.uk/

#22 User is offline   s2k4tony 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,592
  • Joined: 22-November 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pieland
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:E90 330d M Sport

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I was saying a while back, that if was returning to a performance car, you cannot ignore the Porsche if you can afford to run one/have a dependable and extremely cheap Indy to look after it.

#23 User is offline   Nick Graves 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 27,840
  • Joined: 12-March 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hertford
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:2.5% APR

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

 C7 JFW, on 12 December 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

 E4RTH WORM JIM, on 12 December 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

 SCZ4, on 11 December 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I like to think I've remained realistic as to the capabilities of the S2000, the great bits and the not so good bits. I think most of the views on PH are a fair reflection. We all know the great bits, engine, looks, gearbox, noise...... But without a doubt the lack of steering feel is definitely the cars biggest disappoinement and really makes for nervous driving at 9/10ths or 10/10ths. Gearing could also be improved, shorter ratios with a tall 6th would be better.

For me, it's hard to be optimistic that a new S2000 will be as good as the original. Every manufacturer, except for Porsche are going the wrong way, getting heavier and turbo engines... Such a shame.


Unfortunately this bloke speaks the truth.

I too find it hard to imagine that Honda are capible of producing anything modern that would match the S2000.

Times are changing, but I really hope I'm wrong!


Agreed on both points.


Me four.

We'll get a better idea from the new Beat and the new NSX, but with Honda/Acura's recent litany of balls-ups and ever-increasing fascist legislation, I think the era for such mental cars is now passed. Or past...

Having said that, I've recently heard that the cancelled S3000 was due to use essentally 6/10 of the big GT's engine. Whether it would have turned out to be (or may yet turn out to be) a sort of wa(ta)nabe SLK, is moot.
2001 S2000

Is it any wonder that the Honda S2000 has been hailed by perceptive drivers as a new paragon of roadworthiness, considering that the distribution of its masses..........L J K Setright

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.......George Bernard Shaw

Ever since September of 2008, we have seen the fruits of the fiat money roots that Mises warned against almost a century ago. But modern free-market economists are as hostile to Mises's theory of the business cycle as they were hostile to Mises's theory of the economic irrationalism of socialism . . . until the Soviet Union fell. Then, they got religion, but they still never mention Mises. It was as if he had never lived....Gary North

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, but give a man a bank and he can rob the world - unattributed.

#24 User is online   CynicG 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 1,671
  • Joined: 18-March 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In a box with Schrodinger's cat
  • Country: United Kingdom
  • Interests:Learning...

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'll bet my S now that if a new 2000 is released, it will be a hybrid. It's inevitable with future develops from Honda. But on a positive note, will make me love mine even more Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"All that is needed for motor-car riding is a hand for steering and a head to restrain one's natural inclination for racing on the public road." Automator Journal, November 1896

S20ODP: Monte Carlo Blue '02 | Bilstein B16 PSS9 | DMS Pro65R Manifold & Decat | HKS GTS7040 Pro Supercharger | Deatschwerks 800cc Injectors & DW200 Fuel Pump | HKS Silent HiPower Dual Exhaust | 17" Enkei PF01 | Federal 595-RSR | Competition Stage 2 Clutch | Ballade TCT | OEM High Spoiler | Powerflex suspension bushes | Hardrace rear control arms | Tarmac front lip | Spoon engine mounts, mirrors, braces, magnetic bolts, Venturi throttle body, Monoblock calipers, head cover & carbon plug cover, oil filler cap, radiator hoses & cap | Mishimoto Radiator & cooling plate | Zunsport front grille set | Ferodo ds2500 pads | HEL braided brake lines | ATE Blue & Motul RBF600 fluid | RobinA3 refurbished steering wheel & gaiter | OEM mats | Kim's high wind deflector | Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB | Hertz ENERGY ESK 130 | Alpine SWE-1200 | Silentcoat Vibrodampening | some engine bay bling...

#25 User is offline   earl's_f20c 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 2,489
  • Joined: 17-February 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicken Town
  • Country: Colombia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

 MB, on 11 December 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

I couldn't even bear to click on the forum comments about this on PH, as it's far too predicatable and full of idiots.

Don't think the S2000 will be back in the next 2-3 years.


Mark, the fun begins with some guy slagging the S2000 gearbox for having 'no feel'! :banghead:

Dear, dear, dear PH, RIP

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users