S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

SOS lightweight directional vane rotors are back!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SOS lightweight directional vane rotors are back!

If the 10th spot is filled, we will keep this open until 2/15 for anyone else to take advantage of the sale. However, after 2/15, the group buy is closed.

When you order a set of rotors from this group deal, you also can take advantage of 5% off of any of these related brake components and accessories found here: http://scienceofspeed.com/products/b...ccessories.asp

Science of Speed is looking to start a group deal on directional vane, slotted, lightweight rotors!
Some advantages of Speed Engineering Directionally Vaned Rotors:

improved cooling efficiency - compared to factory & aftermarket straight vanes, directional vaned rotors improves durability of brake components, suspension & steering joints.
slotted faces allow out gas & sweeping of material from pads.
lighter weight design - front rotor ~1 lb lighter than factory
epoxy coating - coating on non swept areas (hub & vanes) inhibit corrosion to keep rotors looking great.
double disc ground - taper free finish ensures parallel surface and better brake pad - rotor break in.
mill balanced - additional machining operation eliminates rotor vibration.

The Speed Engineering Directional Vented Rotors feature vanes that are directionally oriented for both the left and the right rotor to allow air flow to be pump from the inside out. The center reverse mounted hub of the brake rotor places the ventilation on the wheel side of the rotor for increased air flow. The reverse mount design allows the factory heat shield to be retained in order to protect the suspension and steering joints from heat,

The cooler running rotor will allow more consistent brake performance, increased durability, and a longer use life. In addition to increased durability from the rotor - suspension joints, steering joints, and wheel bearings will benefit from cooler running rotors.

Especially important to Time Trial and other "spec class" S2000s, this rotor is factory sized and not 2 piece, so no additional class points deductions required.

Rear rotors are available in the same factory solid design (non vented with slotted disc faces.

More information can be found here: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc.../brake_rotors/

Group buy is closed, thank you for all your interest and orders!

1. michaelnyden (full set) - PAID
2. c32b (full set) - PAID
3. Giant Robot (full set) - PAID
4. gizzard (full set) - PAID
5. ktaguchi (full set)
6. ScottyS2k (full set) - PAID
7. Grillo (front set)
8. berny2435 (front set)
9. jdm-superbucket (full set)
10. badger_2point0 (full set) - PAID
11. gregory2d (full set)
12. EF'n Chris (front set) - PAID
13. Steve (full set)
14. PrisonerOfDoom (front set) - PAID
15. black_EM1 (rear set)
16. Edbun (full set)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the slots cut deep enough that they also represent the minimum thickness of the rotor?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in. Full set
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by street_ruler
are the slots cut deep enough that they also represent the minimum thickness of the rotor?
I will find out for you today.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Minimum recommended machined thickness is 23mm. The rotors are ~ 25mm thick new and the slots are ~ 1.5mm deep on each side. So, machining down to minimum thickness would still preserve the slots (not sure why you'd want them to be eliminated when machined). By the way, the machining range is very generous. We machined a set of rotors after 17 track days, and only .5mm (24.5mm thick) was required. This is a testament of how rugged these rotors are.

-- Chris
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Chris,

Resent email for a shipping quote to you guys. Do check thankS.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason i ask, is because that can be used as a nice easy, visual gauge as to when they need replacing.

i like these
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Damn I like these to, but a bit more coin then I can justify at the moment since my current slotted are still good. Monitoring the group by though, I might jump in at #10 depending on timing. I plan on tracking more this year so they will come in handy I’m sure.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to upgrade my OEM rotors and pads and someone recommended the StopTech slotted rotors and Project Mu Club Racers. Can someone explain the advantages of the SOS rotors over the StopTech rotors, and vice versa?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM

THE SOS rotors are lighter weight, and extremely durable. That is not to say that the StopTech ones aren't, but the SOS ones have been track-tested over and over to prove their quality and resilience.

I'm assuming the Stoptech ones you are looking at are directionally vented? The SOS ones are (the OEM are not), which essentially means they will run cooler and thus lead to less brake fade under heavy braking, such as at the track--this will in turn lead to longer pad and rotor life as well as better performance.

Of course the full description of what exactly makes these rotors a step above the competition can be seen here: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc.../brake_rotors/

Quick Reply: SOS lightweight directional vane rotors are back!