It’s Time to “Wake the Dragon” Again!
Spring has nearly sprung and it’s time again for the S2KI community to awaken the dragon from his long winter sleep with the fourth annual “Wake the Dragon” run. For those of you not familiar with this particular stretch of US highway #129, here’s a bit of info:
The Dragon is an 11 mile section of highway that runs from the border of Tennessee into North Carolina. It features 318 curves in just 11 miles and is considered one of the most (if not THE most) challenging bits of roadway in the United States.
The event is a chance for S2000 owners from all over the east and beyond to get together, have some fun, and tackle this incredible stretch of highway. The event will be held April 21st, 22nd and 23rd, 2006 (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) at Fontana Dam NC. The basic itinerary is as follows:
- April 21st – Sign-in and Welcoming Reception – cash bar available from 7pm-9pm. This is when you’ll pick up your event packet, etc. Dinner will be on your own and local restaurants will be in excess of 30+ minutes away. The restaurant inside Fontana Village offers dinner. Robbinsville, NC and Alcoa, TN are your best choices for dinner.
- April 22nd – The actual day of the event. A complete itinerary for the day’s events will be included with your event packet (you’ll pick this up on Friday during the sign-in portion of the event). On this day, we will enjoy great driving as a large group and later by smaller groups. We’ll enjoy the Dragon and other area roadways, including the Cherohala Skyway and visiting Fontana Dam.
- April 23rd – The day of goodbyes! We begin to leave from another gathering and driving event. Folks will be washing their S2000’s and others will be making plans to run the Dragon just “one-more-time.” This is a great time to relax and spend some time with other drivers and enthusiasts before heading home.
The headquarters hotel will be the Fontana Village located in Fontana Dam, NC. 100 rooms have been reserved for this event at a discounted rates.
Registered guests of the event will receive the following:
- Event T-Shirt with Event logo
- Event Lanyard with name tag
- Event magnet (memorabilia piece) for your S2000
- Event Registration Packet, includes maps, itinerary
- Dinner on Saturday, April 22nd (Fontana Village)
The past three events have been huge successes, and number four is expected to be the best yet! Come on out and join your fellow S2000 owners for a great weekend.