S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Everyone with the loose spark plug

Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone with the loose spark plug

After reading every thread about the loose spark plug problem (that was recalled) I think my car is going through the same thing. I know all the symptoms, but what I need is documentation that Honda (dealer, or any other) found the cause of any engine damage to be from a loose spark plug.

Please post or PM me if you have documentation from Honda stating they found the cause of engine damage from a badly torqued spark plug. I have read that many have got engine replacements and the cause was a loose plug. I need written proof now.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 02:31 PM

here ya go

Old 03-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Mar 6 2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks, but I have seen that. I have read threads where people have had engine replacments and the cause was from the spark plug loosening and causing detonation/cylinder scoring (from unburned fuel washing cylinder walls). Does anybody have a repair order for this?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:09 PM

Your car is out of warrenty. Engine replacements vary, case by case. In your case, American Honda would have to consider a "goodwill gesture".
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by kinetica,Mar 6 2006, 12:51 PM
I think my car is going through the same thing.
Is your engine damaged?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 AM

honda usually doesn't put that in writing.... maybe in a voicemail, but not in writing.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:03 AM

A honda dealership changed my plugs in December when they installed my SC. I had started seeing smoke and heard a tapping sound so I checked the oil and plugs, oil was a little low but still on the XXX, but the 4th plug was finger tight and covered in oil. I brought it in the first time and they said the noise might be piston slap and to just monitor the car. I asked for a compression test, for him to pull the plugs and read them or scope the engine, and to adjust my valves, but he said none of that would matter.
The car got worse over the next couple days, so I started reading here and found lots of posts about the loose spark plug and 4th cylinder failure. Then they called honda tech line and they said there has never been a reported case that a loose spark plug caused engine damage. They determined that the SC (stock vortech) damaged the rings, causing the oil burn (without looking in the engine). I showed them the threads on here like this one: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry7144031
I am not certain what the problem is, but neither is the dealer. They gave me their best guess, and the answer that will cover their a$$. They did seem willing to do something if I could find proof that the spark plug caused the damage.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kinetica,Mar 6 2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks, but I have seen that. I have read threads where people have had engine replacments and the cause was from the spark plug loosening and causing detonation/cylinder scoring (from unburned fuel washing cylinder walls). Does anybody have a repair order for this?
What more proof do you need? You have an OFFICIAL TSB from HONDA regarding this issue of the spark plugs loosening. I'm not sure how much more proof you can get.

Then they called honda tech line and they said there has never been a reported case that a loose spark plug caused engine damage.
bullsh*t. there's a TSB stating that a spark plug can loosen. it doens't take a genius to figure out what kind of damage a loose spark plug can cause.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by kinetica,Mar 7 2006, 06:03 AM
Then they called honda tech line and they said there has never been a reported case that a loose spark plug caused engine damage.
x2

Old 03-07-2006, 07:13 AM

A honda dealership changed my plugs in December
the 4th plug was finger tight and covered in oil.
They gave me their best guess

Are you joking?

Quick Reply: Everyone with the loose spark plug