Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Exploratory drive around Mount Cheaha

Old 07-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Exploratory drive around Mount Cheaha

Anyone interested in a group drive up in that area?

I've heard there is some good driving up that way, so I've got my eye on several roads to try. One being the road that goes along the ridge. I'm thinking we can meet up at Unique Bar-B-Que in Goodwater for an early lunch around 11:30 and ride out from there. That looks like about the mid-point between Montgomery, Birmingham, and here. I'm working on plotting a route in Google maps that I can share. I wouldn't be against any car (or bike) enthusiast joining up, but it would be great to have a pack of S2000's in the front.

If you're interested, let me know if Aug 12, 13, 19, or 20 would be best for you. That should give it time to get a little less hot, a little less rainy, and us a bit of time to plan. Plus, those are the only weekends before Labor Day that I can.

I'll be coming from Auburn, so anyone remotely nearby that wants to, we can meet up and hit some twistys on the way to Goodwater.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

If you would like to meet in Tallassee, Al and cruise up 229 to Goodwater I'm in. Weekend doesn't matter but coming up from Mobile I will need some time to get there. Weekends are almost always free. You pick the date sir.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

It's a 2.5 hour drive from Huntsville, but I am Birmingham pretty often. If the timing works out I would love to go!
Old 07-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Community Organizer

Well John maybe you can get Glenn to join the drive. I'll bring the Yellow Car for this one. We will be matching then. LOL
Old 07-21-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Well John maybe you can get Glenn to join the drive. I'll bring the Yellow Car for this one. We will be matching then. LOL
that'd work for me!
Old 07-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Sweet, should be a good drive! Either weekend is fine for me. Was just gonna shoot for the one that lets the most people come. A couple of people in the intro thread talked about wanting to do it but they haven't replied here yet. If the weather is good the first weekend we can go then in case it sucks the next, or if it sucks the first weekend, then we can try again the next.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Community Organizer

So please set a date and time to get the balls rolling on this. Always up for a drive with s2000 community.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM

Ok, let's plan to eat lunch at Unique Bar-B-Que (64 Ashland St., Goodwater AL) at noon on Saturday Aug 12. Folks coming from other directions can meet us there before we hit the main event. Dave, you and I and whoever else can meet up at CVS (10 Gilmer Ave., Tallassee AL) at 10:45 am and roll out at 11. Google maps says it takes 55 minutes to get from Tallassee to Goodwater. Realistically, we should get there about 11:50 if traffic doesn't slow us much. There was construction at the lake a couple weeks ago that will slow us down some if it's still there.

I'll have a specific route posted up asap or Wednesday night at the latest. I have been working late a lot lately and have not been able to yet.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:48 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by vortamock
Ok, let's plan to eat lunch at Unique Bar-B-Que (64 Ashland St., Goodwater AL) at noon on Saturday Aug 12. Folks coming from other directions can meet us there before we hit the main event. Dave, you and I and whoever else can meet up at CVS (10 Gilmer Ave., Tallassee AL) at 10:45 am and roll out at 11. Google maps says it takes 55 minutes to get from Tallassee to Goodwater. Realistically, we should get there about 11:50 if traffic doesn't slow us much. There was construction at the lake a couple weeks ago that will slow us down some if it's still there.

I'll have a specific route posted up asap or Wednesday night at the latest. I have been working late a lot lately and have not been able to yet.
Sounds like plan thanks. Thx BD
Old 07-24-2017, 03:52 PM

I've planned a route for us to go explore what looks like might be good driving. I'm not familiar with the area, so if we hit a dirt road we can just turn around. I tried to avoid them, but there's one that I can't tell for sure one way or the other.

The other thing is getting the route from my work laptop to my phone. The URL pulls it up but I don't know how to get the exact route into the app. It just remembers the destinations and goes for the quickest route. I just added a bunch of destinations to get it to take the roads I want to drive. Unfortunately, it only let's you pick 10 destinations, so it's not quite complete in the app. Anyway, here it is:

https://goo.gl/maps/LbnEp4nxD7r

The scenic lookout, winery (could take it or leave it), and Mapco (gas, debrief) were legitimate destinations. Alternatively, there is a distillery right by the winery that we could check out. They make moonshine.

Quick Reply: Exploratory drive around Mount Cheaha