Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Dennis's charger update! 303 HP @ the wheels

Old 09-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dennis's charger update! 303 HP @ the wheels

Well today was dyno day for our 2 AP2's.....i went 1st to the new tune of 217 Hp and 152 Tq. peak with the A/f ratio 13.5 to 1 all the way to 8600 rpm....interesting the AP2 does peak at 8200 and falls off after that without any boost....with all my dyno time and mods so far the only power gains i have really made for the F22 motor are in the bottom and midrange.....i am now up 32 HP and 28 ft.lbs at 6000 rpm compared to stock.....big difference there but not much on top....so its now time for Dennis's 1st pull....we get the car on the dyno and then realize the belt needs tightened and i also have to install the dyno O2 sensor in the header......so i am laying under the car on the dyno trying to get access to the charger tensioner bolt with dennis using a 2ft pry bar on top pushing the tensioner as we both waste stropes's dyno time ......we finally get the belt tight and i get the O2 in the header....and we start the 1st pull.....i am nervously watching the A/F ratio on the computer as the pull goes underway.....it starts way rich around 12.0 to 1 before VTEC....then jumps up to 13.5 when VTEC kicks in makeing me even more nervous.....now thank god it starts going rich again back down into the high 12's to 1.....just when it started to creap back to 13.0 to 1 we were going to shut the pull down but the fuel cut did instead at 8200.....so i am thinking....OK....that must of been a full pull then.....so the dyno spits out 298 HP.....wow....that was the most quiet 300 HP pull i have ever heard thanks to Dennis's stock exhaust .....so we repeat the run again and this time is even better at 303 HP.....with TQ @ 193 .....big relief.....day went great with no problems....Big thanks to Dennis for picking up my dyno bill and dinner.....thanks again.....so now i finally get to feel the power on the street....wow!!....from 6k up to redline it feels like a SUPER VTEC!!!....lot of fun....big progressive pull to redline..i can't wait til my install now....we compared dyno sheets afterward and suprisingly with my VTEC lowered and mods i am actually 5 hp and 5 ft.lbs ahead of the charger up to 6000 rpm......then when the VTEC kicks the charger pumps out 50 hp gain in only 200 rpm and then continues to grow to redline up 83 hp and 41 ft.lbs.@ 8200 over my pull and a little over 90 HP more than a dead stock AP2.....i am just hopeing Dennis's stock clutch will hold for now....i have a bad feeling it won't ....my verdict about about the Comptech charger w/stock pully and aftercooler....is amazingly streetable yet a blast to drive and still very quiet with just a bit of charger wine(kind of cool sound)......very impressive unit all in all...and would recommend to others for any use...see everyone next SAT. the 9th....LATER, BILL
Old 09-04-2006, 06:17 AM

Sorry guys...I'm having "scanner" problems. As soon as I get it fixed, I'll post my my dyno sheet.

As Bill already mentioned, this kit is very streetable. It feels like "stock" while under 5K. After that, Boost kicks in at VTEC and the motor just screams all the way to redline. I am surprised how quiet the kit is. Other then a little supercharger whistle...my car is a real sleeper (Which I like). There is nothing on my car marking it as being "blown".

The other day, a "ricer guy" in an older Civic Si with a huge "coffee can" muffler blew past me. I thought about letting him go...but decided to see if I could catch him. I downshifted to 5th and caught up quickly. By the time I shifted into 6th, the poor little Civic had no chance. He pulled up to me at the next light and asked what "cold air intake" I was running. I told him a big shiny one! I'm not sure he knew what I referring to...but he gave me a thumbs up...

Another thing I like about the charger is that it makes the front end feel more "planted". I didn't think it would be possible, but the extra weight up front really helps the car "track" better. I'm not sure how it will do on an autcross track...but I really like the feel on the street.

My only complaint is that as good as the S2k's brakes are...they are no match for the extra power of the charger. I really need to upgrade to beefier pads.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:45 AM

Wow, nice numbers!!! Hows the charger with the gears? Do you feel that you are hitting redline too fast now? Like you're not giving the charger time to do its work? Thats the best way I can describe it. I was a little worried about that. Did you guys get that cel sorted out that came on after the dyno pull?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM

ya Aldo that was what i noticed when i 1st drove with the charger on.....i hit the rev. limiter 2 times in the test run....it revs very fast now.....and just as it winds up bam....the rev limiter kicks....need more RPM!!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:08 PM

Wow, nice numbers!!! Hows the charger with the gears? Do you feel that you are hitting redline too fast now? Like you're not giving the charger time to do its work? Thats the best way I can describe it. I was a little worried about that.
It's really hard to describe...the gears help pull you into Vtec much quicker than stock. After 6K...you better hang on...the car pulls like crazy to redline and you have to shift quickly to maintain speed. I think my next mod will be to lower my Vtec engagement. That should really help!

Did you guys get that cel sorted out that came on after the dyno pull?
The check engine light actually came on when we were pulling out of Stopes. Since the O2 sensor was pulled from the header while it was on the dyno, the car threw a CEL after Bill put the sensor back in. Once I noticed it, we drove to his house and disconnected the battery and reconnected the O2 sensor. I've been driving the car everyday since and am happy to report no CEL.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:59 AM

Great #'s!! Just think you still have more hidden hp in there with added
bolt-on's!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 AM

Here's the dyno sheet...