Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

New soft top

Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New soft top

Hey everyone! I just got a new soft top installed 2 days ago and with this weather im dying to put it down.

I have read maybe 1 or 2 threads on the forum that say to wait a week.

Has anyone got a new top on and can tell me if thats accurate? Ive had it out in the sun all day yesterday and so far today.
The following users liked this post:
fredh5062 (06-13-2023)
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

You are ok to put it down, but expect some resistance when attempting to close it again as the material may not be fully stretched.
The following users liked this post:
fredh5062 (06-13-2023)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you recommend the shop that installed your top? If so, can you please share the name and your experience -- Time to schedule/install, OEM/aftermarket top / rubber seal, care/handling of your car, and cost (if you do not mind sharing). I am considering getting a new top but not sure where to start to find a shops that will do good work in Pittsburgh.

Thank you!
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08 AM

I will recommend him depending on the operation of the top after a week, which I imagine will be fine.

So far i can say it took about a week for him to get the top and two days for install. It is a cloth top, however, oem and vinyl were also options.

He is mainly into upholstery work and i have been around alot of cars he has done (both my boss' chevelle and mercury meteour) and they are top notch, perfect.

He works out of his house (one car garage) so car care was no issue. I dropped the car off at his house and picked it up at his house (off rt. 8) seals are perfect, everything glued back where it should be and final cost was $1200 for this specific top installed.

I will upload some photos when im at my computer and also his name and number after i feel completely satisfied with the top.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Name:  IMG_1792.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  219.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1793.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  170.6 KB
Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 AM

That top install looks very clean! Thanks for taking the time to provide an update on the install and to post the pictures.

Just curious on your choice of cloth vs. vinyl / OEM. Is the material more durable for the common wear spots?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Community Organizer

Bump for a great thread. I need to have the top replaced on mine and have debated doing it myself vs having someone else do it. Being over here in the UAE has me considering just paying to have it done.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dooka4u4
That top install looks very clean! Thanks for taking the time to provide an update on the install and to post the pictures.

Just curious on your choice of cloth vs. vinyl / OEM. Is the material more durable for the common wear spots?

My main reason for cloth is that I feel it will hold up better in winter. I daily my S and even though I keep it garaged at night it still sees snow on the roof during the day. As far as the common wear spots, I made sure to have the installer add a bit more protection in these areas using the old tops elastic material.

So far I only have one complaint, I assume when he was drilling out the old rivets one stayed in the rail...when I take turns with the top up you can hear it move from side to side. Not a huge deal (I might even be able to get it out) just a small annoyance.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pghs2kid
Originally Posted by Dooka4u4' timestamp='1465242982' post='23986381

My main reason for cloth is that I feel it will hold up better in winter. I daily my S and even though I keep it garaged at night it still sees snow on the roof during the day. As far as the common wear spots, I made sure to have the installer add a bit more protection in these areas using the old tops elastic material.

So far I only have one complaint, I assume when he was drilling out the old rivets one stayed in the rail...when I take turns with the top up you can hear it move from side to side. Not a huge deal (I might even be able to get it out) just a small annoyance.

Pull the end caps off of the second bow and blow them out. Easy enough to do and often overlooked by installers.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:36 AM
Community Organizer

Great thread and I appreciate the photos. Did you drop the name of the installer yet?

Quick Reply: New soft top