Announcements Official Site Related Announcements and News

User Tagging is Here!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 AM
IB Staff

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Default User Tagging is Here!

Want to alert someone about an active thread, ask their advice on a problem, or loop them in on important information? Now you can right in your post with User Tagging!

User tagging works similar to most major social platforms. Simply type the "@" symbol on desktop or mobile, followed by the first two characters of the person's username. The site will then bring up a drop-down to suggest names as you type:

Once submitted, your tagged user will then receive a Private Message linking them to your post.

You can enable or disable the PM alerts via an option on your User CP's Edit Options page. Just look for the checkbox under the Private Messaging section labeled "Receive a Private Message Notification each time I am tagged."
The following users liked this post:
freq (09-19-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Are PMs really the ideal notification method? I see there's now a tab on the User Profile page for Mentions. I'd suggest that instead of a PM (which are limited) mentions would instead show up as a new line on the Notifications pulldown. Clicking the notification would take the user to their profile page and automatically select the Mentions tab. That's how Mentions are handled on pretty much all popular social media sites.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM
IB Staff

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! Our ultimate goal is indeed to build in a separate notification for tags, but we're using Private Messages as an interim solution until we can properly build out the feature. The final form will likely tie in with the existing Mentions tab as you noted.
The following users liked this post:
DutchyFutch (12-09-2018)