Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

EFR 9174 + QSV build thread

Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I figured I'd give a smattering of updates on what's going on with the car for those who are interested;

- Removed PCV and vented it to atmosphere, no more popped out dipstick and seems to pull better throughout the RPM range
- 4th gear pooped. Was doing a pull in 3rd and then shifted to 4th, applied throttle, was rebuilding boost and then no more 4th gear. Good thing I have a spare. Might consider going to a Quaife, G-Force or 4l80e
- Removed the QSV to test, here's what I found, spool was mostly unaffected but fuel did have to be added everywhere. I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference on ti-al turbine wheels. Will have to go to a dyno to check power levels currently. I'm guessing based on the PSI and added fuel I'd be at around 720-730 in 4th gear and above.
- Went up to 30psi, pulls pretty good
- Swapped to 3.63 gears, have much more usable gear and my acceleration rate (as seen by the datalog) is significantly quicker to reach a given speed due to the reduction of shifting. Traction control doesn't pull timing as much anymore, so that's good. Raised boost target in 2nd through 4th gear.
- Installed Hasport 88a differential mounts, feels wonderful going into gear now
- Melted all manner of pushlock fittings to the gate, built AN lines, no more melty badness.
- Thinking of doing some crazy shit. Ordered a GT35 sized billet vband merge collector and a GT45.
- Dropping off the spare block I have to get sleeved in a week or so when my guy gets back.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome build. Thanks for updating and sharing.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 PM

Thanks! Here's some more updates;

- Swapped in the spare AP2 tranny I had. Turns out that 2nd gear wasn't great and blew up on me on the 2nd low boost pull I did

- I think I'm going to combine my two busted AP2 trannies into one working tranny so I can get some experience working on transmissions

- Moving the Ap1 tranny from my wrecked blue car into the silver one here so I can drive this car around again.

- Looking into the quaife 69g and the gforce gf5r transmissions as options to handle this. I've thought long and hard about a T56/v160, but for all of the cost of the adapters clutch stuff, cost to build the transmission to handle repeated high rpm high power shifts, I think it'd be best to skip all of this and just go straight to a quaife and gforce. I'm leaning more towards the g-force because it's a simpler transmission, very mechanical and easily serviceable, but the quaife is very nice. Pricewise, the gforce is cheaper. I kinda want the quaife for the possibility of running paddle shifters.

- The Precision sounds much nicer, but I had to redo my drain completely. I had to weld in a -10 AN bung above the drain plug because the turbo would smoke when the drain went into the pan's drain.

- The precision still smokes when you two step, because of the oil pressure on the s2000. I might end up having to add another restrictor on top of the restrictor that's already on there.

- More specifics on sound, great turbine noise and the compressor sounds more high pitched. Completely subjective but the turbo sounds more turboey. Not like the GTX lineup which is really quiet and the EFR which had no turbine noise.

- The turbosmart bov with this turbo has zero surge or flutter. With the EFR recirc gate you can hear it stutter a bit at high boost between shifts because it's not big enough for that much charge air relief

- My Fuellab 21204 failed and had to be replaced. Put in another 21204 because I had it. Might consider going with a weldon going forward with dual hydramats. I don't think I can flow enough fuel through one mat because it is indeed restrictive.

EFR 9174 + QSV build thread-a1mkke4.png
Here's the very first pull in 3rd gear on the new turbo with boost control/feedback disabled with no changes to the map whatsoever. I noted that it got leaner in the 4000rpm band and it's inconclusive if it's richer (flowing worse) at the low RPMs because of when I started the pull (100% throttle was at 3570rpm vs 3173 when I first started tipping in)

It hit 10psi @ 4800rpm without boost control which is almost exactly what the EFR did.

Subjectively, it feels the same as the EFR here in terms of threshold and responsiveness. Time will tell if its true at higher boost levels.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:50 PM

So your not running a efr setup anymore?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Nope, EFR is off the car.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:01 AM

Sorry what I meant to say was efr internal wastegate setup.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:02 AM

Did you just modify your kit or go with a new one? Loved your efr setup. Wish I could have gone that route.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:38 AM

I literally just dropped the turbo right in place of the EFR and looped my water lines. Was pretty straightforward.

The EFR is for sale now.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Better turbo.sound ..and basicaly same performance as the efr? What precission is it?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by stena
Better turbo.sound ..and basicaly same performance as the efr? What precission is it?
I wouldn't classify it as the same in terms of performance (meaning hp/torque) but in terms of spool/transient it feels pretty similar. I'm going to post side by side datalogs of a 2-3-4 hit when I can to show the difference.

It's a 6870 Gen 2.

Quick Reply: EFR 9174 + QSV build thread