Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Glendale PHX guys, need some help....

Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glendale PHX guys, need some help....

Whats up guys. I am picking up an exhaust that I purchased from a member/friend on a forum. The thing is Im in LV and need to drive my car there to get it installed. The only thing, the exhaust needs a Vband flange welded on the DP section. But it needs to be welded with the exhaust partially installed so we can get the angle correct. So I was wondering if any S2ki member out there knows how to weld (does not need to be super pretty,lol). So I would need to pull the current DP back exhaust off then install the new one (with a new Vband flange welded on). Oh crap....I totally forgot to mention this is for a single turbo Supra. So there is a good amount of room to work with. Thanks guys.

Aloha,
Will
Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 PM

I'll help, but maybe not in the way you would like.

Just something to think about.

A local exhaust shop could do this for you. Just cut the flange off the new exhaust then install it at your friends house. Use some elbow power and a hack saw to do this, exhaust tubing is relatively thin and would take about 5 mins of sawing, just draw a circle and cut the flange off.

Yes, then you would have an exhaust leak for a 5 minute drive to an exhaust shop, so what, it's same as open downpipe so drive grandma style (aka slow and easy) to the exhaust shop with a new vband flange (and maybe some of the same diameter pipe) in hand and tell them to connect the 2 pipes.

A specialty shop, may be able to do this for you in an afternoon ($$), but the average guy in their garage will be hard pressed for this type of custom job (unless they have the proper tools, and a lift to make it much easier) not to mention, what are you going to do with your current exhaust on the car when the new one is installed.

I personally have the tools and tig welding experience to do this, but it would be a day's task for the averageJoe. So I suggest the first option and have a local exhaust shop finish the welding, you could have the exhaust on your car in literally 2 hours from the time you pick it up. Less headache, time and money.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the above doesn't work, shoot Brett @ MetalManFab.com an email and see if he can help. He works magic with the torch.

metalmanfab@gmail.com

He is located in the North Phoenix area and has extensive experience with custom work on cars like yours.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 AM

What material is it?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by averageJoe,Oct 7 2010, 10:57 PM

....I personally have the tools and tig welding experience to do this, but it would be a day's task for the averageJoe....
I see what you did there...
Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 PM

averageJoe- Thanks bud for the info and help. I cant see it being that difficult, but Im not expert in this field. The piping is all made already including the downpipe. It just needs a Vband flange welded on the DP section. The turbo side already has a Vband flange. If there is any cutting involved it would be minimal and only to the DP section. What I was thinking would happen is the old set up dp/mp/exhaust comes off, which would be pretty quick since the system is pretty new (lil over 1k miles). Then put the new 5" straight pipe on there, line up the DP and position the Vband flange then tack weld it. Drop it the exhaust and finish the weld on the flange. Then throw that bugger back on the car. Its probably way easier typing it then actually doing it though,lol. Still dont see it being too difficult. A member on a forums was going to charge 75 to weld it, since he is a friend of the guy I bought the exhaust from. So I dont know what you would charge to help out with this if you are even willing to. Thanks again bro for the reply.

Boofster- Thanks for the contact info, much appreciated.

Brian720- It is Alum

iApex- Hahaha. I noticed that too, it was funnny. :-)
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Take it to the guy charging 75 bucks, especially if you are having Al welded, that would be worth it.

as you stated, its easier typed than actually done...
line up the DP and position the Vband flange then tack weld it. Drop it the exhaust and finish the weld on the flange. Then throw that bugger back on the car. Its probably way easier typing it then actually doing it
and this is reason i wont/cant/dont recommend the home mechanic doing this, and that's why i was trying to give you options.

Its not so much the welding, its the crawling under the car for exhaust work. Its fine if you have lots of time, but it takes forever and is a PITA without a lift

I threw my experience in my first post to give it some credibility on how 'difficult' this may actually end up being without a lift.

good luck