Ark-La-Tex S2000 Owners Covering Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas

Carbotech Panther Plus pads squealing real bad

Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbotech Panther Plus pads squealing real bad

Well, my pads have started to squeal REALLY bad when braking. So I took the S to a local shop and had them look at them. They said the pads look almost brand new, but that there is some uneven wear and that they think some of the surface rust on the rotors is the culprit. The car brakes fine, it's just loud as hell.

So, my question to you guys (mainly the ones with these pads) is:

A)Is this normal (for these pads in particular)?
B)Will the TDE techs not let me race it because of the squealing?
C)Should I just go ahead and have new pads put on tomorrow?

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm really starting to get stressed about this.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:39 AM

A) I think Keith has these pads, and his are really loud too, just how these brakes work.
B) If A is true, then no problem
C) If A & B are true then no

Hope it works out
Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 PM

You will always get the squeal from most track pads! I don't think you should worry at all. It is just the extra bite they provide.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:51 PM

One more thing did you break them in correctly?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:58 PM

What would the proper break in be?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pads might have squealed a lot when bedding them in during hard braking, but they don't squeak at all during normal city driving. I did use antiseize compound on the backs of the pads and retainer clips at the points indicated in the Helm's manual.

I'd make sure you have the retainer clips installed and that the backs of the pads are lubricated. I doubt rust on a rotor is going to do anything except be swept away the first time you brake. On the other hand my rotors are nearly new and yours could be a bit uneven from years of use.

Having said all that, noisy brakes at TDE is not going to be a problem unless it becomes apparent that there is a safety issue. Many have complained about the noise that track pads make for daily driving.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtSlaughter' date='Mar 28 2007, 04:58 PM
What would the proper break in be?
They should have sent you instructions......but it aint rocket science. You go up to about 60mph and brake moderately hard down to about 30.....do this about 3 times. Then go from about 50-60 down to 0 with mod hard braking about 3 times. Then drive around a bit and let your brakes cool off. Don't put on your parking brake when the brakes are hot or you could warp or crack the rotors.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 PM

I'll try that tomorrow man. As far as the clips and lubrication, I have no idea about that. I had a shop install the pads, seeing as I don't know how to change the pads myself.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Take some advice from someone who works on Honda's. They're probably squeaking because they're non-OEM pads. Honda has some special kind of pads they use and they come coated with some stuff that prevents squealing. I think it's called Molly coat. They'll still work but they'll just make noise.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SgtSlaughter' date='Mar 28 2007, 03:30 PM
I'll try that tomorrow man. As far as the clips and lubrication, I have no idea about that. I had a shop install the pads, seeing as I don't know how to change the pads myself.
Actually very super easy to do especially the front! Next time maybe you can come to another tech day, The trip down here could easily save you up to $200 in labor next time you need to change out your pads. Also a Helms manual might be in order to. The backings to the pad do need to be lubricated but I think mostly to keep the backings from becoming welded to the pad itself during intense braking. I think you'll be fine this time!

Quick Reply: Carbotech Panther Plus pads squealing real bad