Ark-La-Tex S2000 Owners Covering Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas

finally got door speakers again!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally got door speakers again!

so, i've been messing with my amp wiring off and on for about 8 or 10 months trying to figure out why my door speakers didn't work. everything sounded great. my doors had kenwood 6.5's and i've got 2 fosgate 10's in my trunk. every wire in the car was good. all connections were good. sourced every wire's route since it was wired before i got it. finally i narrowed down the problem to the speaker wire or the speaker. i finally took the door panels off, removed the speakers, and hooked them up to my surround sound in my living room. neither speaker made a noise. took them yesterday to audio express in searcy and got confirmation that i melted the voice coils in both of them.

they had one and only one pair of kenwood 6.5" speakers with tweeters on display that i was interested in. i actually asked the guy to pull them off of the wall to test fit the speakers with the honda mounting baffles and they fit PERFECT! i talked him down on the price since they were display, came home, and spent 2 hours putting my car back together.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+-+6-1/...1&skuId=9764357

i paid 60+tax

i'm VERY satisfied too! and i've got enough bass to ring my ears for hours after i get out of the car! one feature that i really admire about a lot of kenwood door speakers is that while they have significantly better overall listening quality than most, they also have tweeters built into the speaker which is quite handy for us 00 and 01 owners!!! WOO HOO!!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 AM

no comments?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i had any money i'd buy some cause the stock speakers are junk.

but sixty bucks is about 8 months supply of ramen..
Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 AM

I've been thinking about taking the sub out of my trunk. I've got some Kicker speakers in the doors, which have good mids and highs, and sounds good with the Kicker sub in the trunk. But if I take the sub out, I won't have lows. How are the lows on those Kenwood's?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 AM

I personally took the route of 'if i never install any subs then i wont know what i am missing'

I have some infinity reference components with the little Alpine power box. Always been a fan of Infinity. I think their highs and mids sound amazing. Bass isnt all that great, but its livable. Also, the speaker fit, I just had to modify the factory speaker basket by drilling some new holes and cutting the back of the basket off. Only thing I am concerned about is that the speakers are attached to the plastic basket (then plastic basket attached to the door), so my concern is that after a couple years the plastic might get a little brittle and the screws might break free or something. Guess we will see, currently they are holding strong and there are no distortions.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by motempo,Feb 2 2011, 04:03 AM
I've been thinking about taking the sub out of my trunk. I've got some Kicker speakers in the doors, which have good mids and highs, and sounds good with the Kicker sub in the trunk. But if I take the sub out, I won't have lows. How are the lows on those Kenwood's?
well with the kenwoods that came in the car, the lows were very distorted and i don't know how the lows would be since i've got only mid and hi-pass frequencies leaving my amp for my doors and low-pass from my other amp to my subs.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my car it came with a sub in the trunk, the very first thing I did was disconnect the sub and then when I got home, took it out. Aren't really my thing, I want to hear my music but no need to shake the entire car to pieces in the process. I ended up installing a little 450watt amp behind the driver seat and getting S-Pods with component speakers so now I can at least hear my music on the highway and now I am pretty content
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 AM

well to each their own. the beauty of my setup is that with most amps, the power gain is adjustable and while most of the time i prefer a little more bass than most, i will turn down the gain so it's not overwhelming. most head units have the option to adjust low, mid, and high frequencies as well.