Sell it
41.67%
Keep it
58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Never thought I would do this...

Old 05-08-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never thought I would do this...

Yesterday I signed a 6 month lease for an apartment at Towne Oaks South off of Youree Drive. Two Bedroom and One Bath 996 Sq.Ft. Honestly, I'm extremely excited. My move in date is scheduled for June 20th.

One potential problem... My car... Financially its like paying for another apartment. Payments, $425.69, Insurance, $176.00. My fience' does not have a job so its only safe and smart to say all expenses are coming from me until she does find a job. Which pushes me to the decision of possibally parting and selling my car. I'd rather my marriage be successful than ride in style. If I kept my car I foresee not being able to buy appliances, bedroom furniture, groceries, internet, cable etc. Not that all of those are necessities but they will definately make our early marriage more enjoyable. Paying almost as much for a whole other apartment for just a form a transportation is now becoming a reality. I could probably make it work and keep the car. Who knows but I don't want my fience to step into that kind of world. I want to have the best start possible.

I calculated it out with my car included in the mix. Based off my income I would have around an average of $250 extra a month for gas, food, and other expenses. Not including my monthly bonus. I'm not calculating my bonus because thats something that is not guranteed. Which means, it could work with my car in the mix. $250 to me is barely getting by. Leaves not a lot of extra money to furnish, eat out, and enjoy a newly married life. The location of the apartments are walking distance from my work. My fience is planning on working at Willis Knighton Peirremont which is also walking distance. Which is awesome for both of us. We will be saving a lot on gas. She will be starting school next spring to become an RN. I have the capability to enjoy a married life without the car in the mix and I want whats best for me and her.

Most of you know that my fience told me that she doesn't want me to sell it. So this is completely my decision. Even though this is what she has said, I only want whats best for us. I'd rather make a safe decision than gamble. But man! I'm attatched to this car!!!

I know for a fact that I will jump back into an S2000 later on if I decide to let my S go. I absolutely love the car. Its a blast to drive and even if I was a millionaire, the S, would be one of my first vehicle purchases. I would love to keep my S, with the same VIN#, and keep it at one owner because its a trophy/testiment to being successful at a young age. But, I could always have the same reminder in a different S one day. The S2000 in general is a car close to my heart. Sounds strange I'm sure but I've fallen in love with them.

So, most of you have experience life much further than I have. I'd prefer to only have serious answers. What would you do?

My answer... Where my life is headed at this point in time I think it is best to let the S go and jump into something more practical and cheaper. Then later purchase another S and relive my love for the car.

The whole point of us starting off here is to save money and get her through school. Keeping the car is benefitting no one but my pleasure. But with all the sacrifices will it bring pleasure? I don't think so... I mean maybe but I don't think so.

Guys, help me out. Serious answers and I really appreciate your reading through this. And know this. If I were to get a crown victoria police interceptor or a Porsche I would still hang out with you guys. I would still surf the forums and dream of the day of owning a S again one day.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Isn't yours the one in the Harold and Kumar movie, or is that someone else's?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 AM

That breaks my heart to hear Colin! But you are right, there is more happyness in enjoying married life and not having to worry about where the house payment is goin to come from than anyone could find in any car.

Having said that, I hope you can find a way to keep it. I know you love that car and have babied it from day one! But, keeping thing happy and not having to live paycheck to paycheck is going to give you much happier times than having to worry.

Seems like most fights in marriages come from money issues. I know that she is going to want to get adjusted before she gets a job (if she decides to get one) Bethany wanted to wait a month before she started working. By the end of that month though, she was soooo bored at home she said she had to get something to do during the day

I would say if you love the S, but cant afford new car payments, the maybe look for a use S. There is a silverstone with a hardtop for like 16k here. Finanace it and your note will be about 300 or so. Mine for my first S was only $256! I know you love the laguna blue, but this way you could keep in an S, and still afford some other things.

BTW, how much do you owe/looking to get for the car?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JulieU,May 8 2008, 09:35 AM
Isn't yours the one in the Harold and Kumar movie, or is that someone else's?
yeah thats his car
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM

i voted to keep it before i read your post. after reading it i say sell it it sucks to see it go but it would be better to sell it than to keep it
Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM

I would love to get what I owe obviously. I told my fience' today that I was seriously thinking of selling it and she wasn't happy. One thing that me and her really looked forward to was being able to go out with my buddies on cruises, meets, and maybe just me and her cruising. Socially we both really looked forward to having the car stay. If I could slip into a older used S then I would do it. Smaller payments. The way I see it, either way, I'm going to have car payments either way if I were to get another vehicle. Why not have another S2000 and just have cheaper payments.

After I told her that I was seriously going to sell it she is now going to look for jobs full force and start a month after she gets here. I think thats great but it doesn't take away the fact that we are paying $600 a month on just a vehicle. I think I could be happy in another S2000 one day.

I really really hate to let go of this car. Like Mike said, I babied it. Its tough but when I think realistically. Thats money me and her could spend on other things. Mike couldn't have said it better when he said, "there is more happyness in enjoying married life and not having to worry about where the house payment is goin to come from than anyone could find in any car." I want whats best for me and her not for me and my S.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well money can be the devils advocate when it comes to new marriages. do what will make you happy which sound like being with the one you love
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In your shoes I say a more finacially wise thing to do is to sell. As much as you would miss it. In the big picture, having a car payment of <$250 is ideal. You'd be amazed at how fast things add up, and that extra money becomes needed.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Well, I'm going to do it... I would like the car to be parted out by the week ending 24th of this month. Then obviously quickly after find out how I will be selling it. Bobby and Mike have both offered to undress my love. What day on the week ending of the 24th do you guys want to do it?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 PM

=( sad to hear. good luck with everything man!

Quick Reply: Never thought I would do this...