Aus & NZ Off Topic For all non S2000 related topics

[rant]What the hell is with kids these days?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [rant]What the hell is with kids these days?

I don't get kids these days. I'm not talking the older teenage variety either. I'm talking about the younger kids, pre-teen to teen.

They don't seem to have respect for any sort of boundaries or peoples property.

For example, I live in a quiet suburb in a cul-de-sac. The kids that live here these days have decided to take it upon themselves to play in other peoples front yards. "Not so bad", I hear you say, but when they're playing with sticks just metres away from other peoples cars that are parked in their driveways, well within their own property's, it's not a good thing. Neither is the amount of freaking noise they make.

When I was their age my friends and I only dared venture into other peoples front yards if a tennis ball ended up there. Otherwise we'd stick to playing in our own yards, or in the street. If my parents caught me playing in someone elses front yard I would've gotten spanked.

Sure there are no physical boundaries in the front yards in this area (no fences out the front). But as a kid, even I knew that just because there wasn't a fence there didn't mean that I could use that area as I saw fit.

Is it a parenting issue? Seriously, what the hell.

I mean, I'm nice to the little shits. They come up to me whenever they see me and ask about my car...the same questions...over and over. Fair enough, they like it. But how many times can the same question be asked.

I answer them nicely. But sometimes it's just too much. I've cringed on many occasions when arriving home from work because the kids have been there. They follow the freaking car down the driveway. I've even had to ask one of them to get out of the way cause he was so close to the front of the car I would've hit him as I was reversing and turning. (More than once btw)

ARGH!!!

Don't parents teach kids that cars can kill them these days?? Or is everyone too busy being PC and sheltering them??

These kids just don't seem to have any fear in them. Should I instill this fear? Should I go postal on them and instill this fear? Is this the reason why I was put on this Earth, to instill fear in these stupid little children that live in my street?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Banned

how many kids are there? how many different houses are they from? Are they just playing in your yard or do they take over everyone's yard in the street?

You seem like the polite/considerate type of person that has been brought up well by good parents to respect others and their space/property. It depends what kind of tactics you want to use to counteract the issue. Seeing as they are neighbours i wouldnt' recommend yelling or arguing as it will likely cause bad blood on the street which you dont want.

but you cant always blame the parents, but then again it could be the kids fault or parents, or both.

how well do you know the neighbours/ppl on the street? Perhaps if you have a chat with the parents and mention that its ok if they enter your yard to fetch a tennis ball or something, but if they could ask the kids not to play with sticks inches from your car or play in your yard and make noise when your inside and it disturbs you. Depends on the neighbours too, they might take what you've said onboard and do something about it or if they are ignorant they might get pissed off at the fact that you've asked their kids not to play in your yard and think your a jerk.

Try talking to the kids. You could try reverse psychology with them, i.e offer them chocolates etc have a quick chat but then in a nice way ask them if they could keep their playtime out of your yard as you get disturbed and dont want your car to get damaged by accident, and to please watch out when you reverse/ enter your driveway as you have very poor rear view visibility in the s2k and could accidentally run one of them over if they are standing in the blind spot.

I think the method of delivery is important though. You can get across what you have to say in a nice way and hope that the person your speaking to respects the fact that you have taken the time to address them in a polite manner. I'd say speak to the kids first nicely and see how they react. Depends on the kids though and if they are the smart arse type or not. Some kids you yell at them or piss them off and they will start mucking around playing all sorts of pranks like ringing your door bell and running off, playing in your yard on purpose, throwing stones at your car etc
Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 AM

2 main culprits from the same house, and various other children from other houses in the street. They play in everyone's yards.

I've spoken to the kids before and asked them to be careful and they're good about it, seemingly understanding, and they play elsewhere. But the next week they're back. You know how it is, in one ear and out the other.

I know most of the ppl in the street. But I don't know these kids parent's. I've seen the father of the 2 main culprits pull one of his sons right off his bike by the arm and yell at him for not getting off the road as I drove up.

I wasn't exactly being serious about instilling fear in these children. I seriously believe the only way any of them are going to learn is if one of them nearly gets run over and the rest are there to see it.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:22 PM

you own a skyline don't you? I have a blow off valve sitting in the garage that's so loud it has the power to sweep away little children or animals that are standing ont he side of the roads. Seems like I should give it to you.
It used to be a past time hobby of mine to scare animal and children in this manner.

vroooommmmmmm PSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHTTTTT *watches their face as their heart skips a few beats*
Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by robert112,Aug 3 2007, 11:22 AM
you own a skyline don't you? I have a blow off valve sitting in the garage that's so loud it has the power to sweep away little children or animals that are standing ont he side of the roads. Seems like I should give it to you.
It used to be a past time hobby of mine to scare animal and children in this manner.

vroooommmmmmm PSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHTTTTT *watches their face as their heart skips a few beats*
I have something better.

Although, when I get my car back it will be plumbed back.

Can you guess what happens when I hit 17psi?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM

You distort space and time and end up in 1985?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Yep, I go back in time, become distressed and paranoid.

After seeing a clip of Carson Daily on television I realise that everything that's going wrong for me is due to all the bad things I had done in the past. At this point a strange Japanese man by the name of Hiro Nakamura appears out of nowhere and I introduce myself by saying, "Hi, my name is Earl."
Old 08-02-2007, 08:26 PM

17 psi? impressive for an rb25. assuming power fc tune with no internal head work, 250 atw?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Its a way of passing on the responsibility of parenting to others, or at least removing it from their immediate place.

When I was in Palm cove the other weekend there was a little girl maybe about 8y.o that was in the spa area most days and her mum would sit about 15m away and read her book. The little girl would always start yapping to anyone and there was often other kids there with their parents so as soon as she struck up a conversation with someone her mum would come over and say "madi I'm going upstairs come up when I call you" then she'd disappear not to be seen for hours. Then if something were to happen its not her fault its the people around that she's volunteered as her babysitters!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Everytime I search ebay for S2000 this comes up:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2km-SOLAR-POWERED-E...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now I know why.

Quick Reply: [rant]What the hell is with kids these days?