Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

[SEQ] April 2014 cruise?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [SEQ] April 2014 cruise?

Several months have passed since we last got together in SE Qld. I know a few that are keen to go once again, so I'm seeking an expression of interest. The planned destination is Springbrook in the Gold Coast hinterland, it will be a straightforward route. The dates on offer are:

Sat or Sun 12-13th April (mid school holidays, before Easter)
Sat or Sun 26-27th April (post school holidays, after Easter, ANZAC day long weekend)

If you're interested, please post, indicating preferred dates from above (or any of these that you cannot make). If there's suitable interest, I'll post further details.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 AM

We're well and truly due for one! The weekend before easter is my vote.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:49 AM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before Easter for me as well, but can only do Sunday.
Yeharrrrrr !!! Let's roll.....
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM

I can attend any day, although probs 12th or 13th suit best
Old 03-17-2014, 04:55 AM

Hey Mate, great plan...sorry can only do Sat or Sun 26-27th April, family up prior!
Cheers, Jas
Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 PM

12th and 13th I'll be busy and hung over.
26/27 for me.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 AM
xoz

Bump I can do either weekends, can go with the majority.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:54 AM

Looks like we've got barely enough interest. Final call for EOI, looks like the latter date is the likely winner, on account of a few no shows for the former date and no strong objections to the latter date. I'll post cruise details late this week (all going well).
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 AM

Cruise details:

When: Sunday 27th April 2014
Where: Springbrook, Gold Coast Hinterland

Meeting point 1: McDonalds, Milton Rd, Milton, Brisbane
7:30am for 7:45am departure

Meeting point 2: Hungry Jacks, Highfield Dr, Mudgeeraba, Gold Coast
8:45am for 9am departure

Stopping at: Best Of All Lookout (that is it’s name)
Finishing at: Scuttlebutt Cafe, 2319 Springbrook Rd, Springbrook

Hi everybody, above are the essential details for the next SEQ cruise. We’re bound for the serene surrounds of Springbrook, home to a national park in the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area. The road up there is just as good, but the early bird gets the worm – leave it too late in the morning, and you will curse the slow traffic. Unfortunately some cyclists enjoy the route too, so you’ll need to be wary, but they are the lesser of the two evils. Hence, please note the early start for the Brisbane folk. Sorry if you don’t like early starts, but I hate sitting behind slow traffic on great road <grunt>.

The route is easy to remember: we’ll first meet at our regular haunt, McDonalds (next to BP) @ Milton, just up the road from XXXX brewery. Grab a coffee or quick bite if you must, then we’ll be on our way. If you’re running late, head straight for the second meeting point down at Hungry Jacks @ Mudgeeraba, we will not be waiting. HJ’s is next to the Shell neighbouring the Pacific Highway southbound – in fact the Mudgeeraba off ramp will lead you straight into it. Again, grab a coffee or quick bite if you must, or indeed some premium for the S.

Departing HJ’s, we’ll cross the Pacific Motorway (via the nearby overpass), turn left, follow the road to the end, turn right, head straight through a roundabout, then it’s an uninterrupted (but by no means straight) run to Springbrook. When we get up there (and come into a built-up area), we’ll turn right into Lyre-Bird Ridge Rd – it’s not too hard to find because there’s few side streets, but it is on a left hand sweeper.

On Lyre-Bird Ridge Rd, everybody needs to cruise slowly, because there is wildlife as the signs suggest – I saw a few wallabies roadside during reccy. It’s a lovely little road (but skinny with blind crests), you will want to drop the roof if you didn’t already back at HJ’s. If you feel the need to hammer the throttle, stay on Springbrook Rd, continue to Repeater Station Rd and proceed up there where we’ll meet up behind you. At the end of Repeater Station Rd is the Best Of All Lookout – follow the sign to the bottom carpark for a photo opp, fingers crossed we’ll have it to ourselves.

The Best Of All Lookout is only a few hundred metres away on a sealed path – it’s right on the state border, and well worth the walk, so take your camera! The view is of northern NSW, including Byron Bay. I can’t believe I’m complimenting NSW… Once we’re done at the lookout, we’ll wander back to the main road, turn back towards Mudgeeraba, and nearby we’ll find Scuttlebutt Cafe. Lunch menu starts at 11am. Once we know numbers, I’ll call them and see if they’ll start lunch early for us, but realistically, we won’t get there much before 11am I don’t expect.

After lunch, those that want to browse the area have some great spots to choose from if nature is your thing – I suggest that you search the internet prior, and pack some suitable walking gear. If you’re instead one to seek the comfort of your internet-enabled device, you might be horrified to find yourself out of range. On the return to Brisbane, remember the fixed #$*&^ speed cameras on the Pacific Highway / M1 @ Smith St & the Logan Motorway.

If you’ve got a portable UHF radio (walkie-talkie), pack it in case we want to communicate along the way (although realistically I have trouble hearing mine with the wind whistling by). Lastly, the temperature is cooler up at Springbrook, so bring an extra layer of clothing.

Strays (non S2000’s) are welcome, but the usual policy applies: no riff-raff, stick to the back of the line, and stay out of group photos. If I haven’t managed to dissuade you, please sign-up below (and indicate any extras). I can’t think of anything else for now, so if I’ve missed something, sorry, post it up.

Paul.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 AM
xoz

Well done Paul! 100% attendance to this one!

Quick Reply: [SEQ] April 2014 cruise?