Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

After market parts - Melbourne

Old 03-11-2001, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a chap in Melbourne by the name of Jacob Chang who has advised that he can acquire any aftermarket part from Mugen, Spoon etc.

His store is at 472 Heidelberg Road, Fairfield. He can be contacted on 0413 917 960.

Would one of our members in Melbourne be kind enough to follow up and let us know what he can do for our cars?
Old 03-12-2001, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Bernie
There is a chap in Melbourne by the name of Jacob Chang who has advised that he can acquire any aftermarket part from Mugen, Spoon etc.

His store is at 472 Heidelberg Road, Fairfield. He can be contacted on 0413 917 960.

Would one of our members in Melbourne be kind enough to follow up and let us know what he can do for our cars?
That's a big favour to ask Bernie after all those bowling jibes However, when it comes to Queenslanders, I'm prepared to make an exception as I understand they don't always know better . I'll let you know what I discover.
Old 03-12-2001, 02:57 AM

I was pretty proud of that bowling jibe!! I had to think for a while about that

Thanks for that. Never know what goodies you might be able to discover for the rest of us!!
Old 03-13-2001, 11:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]
Old 03-17-2001, 03:16 AM

Thanks for that

It sure sounds technical and I didn't understand a fair bit of that but it does sound impressive!

I don't have much familiarity with a VTEC controller but it sounds interesting. Can this be used to adjust the timing of the VTEC?

This guy's Integra must be something evil!!
Old 03-18-2001, 01:05 AM

No worries Bernie. As far as I am aware, the VTEC controller allows you to alter the revs at which the engine transitions from regular valves to high profile (VTEC) valves. This is critical after engine mods are made as you will usually need to raise or lower the trnasition point. Currently if you look at a dyno chart for the S2k you will see that there is a power and torque drop from about 5700 to 6200 revs. The low speed (non VTEC) cams produce peak power at around 5700 revs but as the VTEC cam is producing less power (than the non-VTEC cams) up to 6200 revs in cannot be actuated until that engine speed.

By modding your engine you may be able to produce more power in VTEC at lower revs (in which case you actuate VTEC earlier) or more peak VTEC power(with a probable reduction in VTEC power at lower revs) in which case you actuate VTEC later. The controller allows you to decide at precisely which revs actuation occurs.
Old 03-27-2001, 03:45 AM

Bernie, DavidM and I caught up with Jacob at Calder on Sunday. He brought out his tricked up 'Teg Type R which was a a very impressive vehicle and I think the fastest Type R on the day.

His Integra included the following that I can recall

Drilled disks
Racing pads
Mugen exhaust
Racing carbon fibre seat
Strut brace (Spoon)
X-brace
Tien suspension
Cold air intake
Air filter without air box
Exhaust heat shield
Programmable Fuel map, VTEC and ECU by hand held remote and connection to laptop computer

... and probably a whole lot more that I missed.

Jacob was quite keen to offer group buys to the various HSCCs if we can get the usual 10 or 20 participants. I'm not sure I would want to invest the sort of money he is talking about for this stuff. As it is mainly Japanese it is already highly priced and hasn't got any cheaper with the recent dollar nose dive.

He is going to try and get photocopies of some of his Japanese brochures to us but it is all in Japanese and he doesn't have spare copies.

I plan to collect info from him and maybe make everyone aware of his business through the Vic HSCC newsletter. His business seems quite reputable but one of his mates was there on Sunday with a modded NSX - this guy was easily the worst, and most dangerous, driver on the track on the day. He was constantly coming into corners too fast and spinning out and didn't endear himself to too many of us.

Personally, although I am a keen track participant. I don't think I could justify the expense of these aftermarket components, however, I am sure there are others who feel quite different. Let me know how you would like to take this further - maybe the next step is for you to approach him directly.