Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

BERK HiGH FLOW CAT LEGAL ?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BERK HiGH FLOW CAT LEGAL ?

Hi guys,
im about to purchase a berk HFC for my MY00. Just concerned that it might not be legal in victoria ?

does anyone know ? or has anyone read anything ?

cheers
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 AM

I've had one on for roughly 7 months, I've never been pulled up on it, although I don't climb rev's when I see the boys in blue
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 AM

I should also mention that it has become one of my favorite mods in terms of price
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 AM

i know its a pretty decent mod for the price! i know a TP is heaps cheaper but , dont want the smell or police issues with that!

i already have been pulled up twice by the EPA for noise testing , i have a HKS dual and a K&N FIPK with AUT plate on my car, its not ridiculously loud, i admittedly do give the car a kick in the guts, so they probably spotted me a 9k haha oh well iv learnt!!

have you matched the HFC with an exhaust if so which one ?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM

It's legal man, they only do noise tests. Noise-wise it's not legal i suppose but you just swap it over to pass that.

You won't have any issues. If you wanna play it safer enclose the heat shield on the stock cat onto the berk cat.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jowjeh
It's legal man, they only do noise tests. Noise-wise it's not legal i suppose but you just swap it over to pass that.
Ummm, doesn't that mean it's not legal?

My take is that technically it is not legal but as you still have a cat it's compliant with emissions but dependant on the rest of your exhaust and your behaviour it's not noise compliant. If being harassed by the Po-po and having to submit to noise tests is the way you like to spend your spare time I say go for it.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM

^he was commenting on your driving habits, not the hfc . I say do your part for the environment and go for the HFC [as opposed to the test pipe]
Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MrWolf4
i know its a pretty decent mod for the price! i know a TP is heaps cheaper but , dont want the smell or police issues with that!

i already have been pulled up twice by the EPA for noise testing , i have a HKS dual and a K&N FIPK with AUT plate on my car, its not ridiculously loud, i admittedly do give the car a kick in the guts, so they probably spotted me a 9k haha oh well iv learnt!!

have you matched the HFC with an exhaust if so which one ?
I also have the HKS Hi Power Dual and a K&N FIPK and I absolutely love how the HFC has allowed the tone of the exhaust to hone in and around town. It has made it a little more raspy although at WOT it's all about the K&N and the vtec crossover. I can also vouch that it does allow the car to become a little more responsive, although this is short lived as you get used to it.

Good luck with your decision
Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah noise wise im not too hassled with because, regardless if iv got it on or off i will still get pulled up if i drive like a hoon haha

but the emissions was the big one, i read some where its a $10k fine in AUS if you get caught with a test pipe :|

but i think it should be ok just wanted to double check!

how raspy is raspy? is it a huge difference ? i hope it doesnt totally wreck the tone of the exhaust i love the throatyness of the HKS !
Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In NSW you can take your car to the RTA emissions test dyno and complete the IM240 test for free. THis is a 240 second rolling road test that drives the car on a defined "trip". It only uses around 10hp power and only uses the light load/cruise part throttle driving.

If the car passes the prescribed emissions for your year model of car they give you a test report stamped to say it is valid. This is a good way to prove that your HFC is legal.

You can do a "voluntary test" and there doesn't seem to be any ramifications if your car doesnt pass. Tell them you want to do a voluntary check when you book in. Call the RTA main web site, and follow the prompts to emissions testing.

I've done a few tests on Honda powered Elises as part of their engineering for the engine swap. With the Honda K20A's on factory ECU's the HFC's are borderline, some cars just scrape through, others are just over on the NOx. With a larger convential catalyst they pass easily.

Quick Reply: BERK HiGH FLOW CAT LEGAL ?