Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Brake Pads for street use

Old 09-14-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads for street use

I need to replace the rear brake pads on the S, and have a couple of questions for the experts:

1) Since is just for street, and the previous pads lasted about 70K, should I just go for the Honda OEMs, or are is there a cheaper option that would be as good?

2) Is there any problem in getting my local mechanic to do the work? He hasn't worked on an S before so I just want to check there are no 'gotchas' he needs to look out for if he does do it?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:06 PM

The Honda OEM pads are very good already. They emit little to no brake dust and stand up well to a few hot laps around the track. You could go for some higher spec road/race pads like Hawk or EBC but they give off a little dust. For street use, the OEM pads are more than able to handle the job.

As far as I know, there are no idiosyncracies with the S2000's brakes and caliper construction that a competent mechanic couldn't handle. Many owners have changed the pads themselves. I assume the fronts have already been changed as the rear pads tend to last longer.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:16 PM

Thanks Blackie.

Strangely enough I don't think the Front pads have been changed. I bought the car second hand but it only had 10K on it then, and unless I've forgotten getting the fronts changed at a service then they haven't been done yet. I thought it was weird to have the rears go first, but I'll double check how much is left on the fronts at the same time.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:18 PM

Billpo, I've tried a few different brake pads (mainly competition) and IMHO the Honda standard pads are really good. I doubt that you would find anything better on the market.

As to cost, I wouldn't compromise on brakes. Installing them is no drama, as far as I know, there are no hidden traps. Any competent person can do it.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say for your needs the Honda pads would be fine. You might have a look at Bendix Ultimates but only from a price point of view.

Swapping pads on the rear of the S is a doddle. Any mechanic or half competent garage monkey (ie. me) can do it.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:18 PM

They emit little to no brake dust and stand up well to a few hot laps around the track.

re the track-use - I 'killed' (ie. melted) 2 sets of OME pads on at the track. IMHO, they cannot withstand any track use if you drive/brake hard. I know that some people mamanged to be fine with them on the track, but for me that was not the case. For me the 1st OME set was stuffed after 2 sessions, while the 2nd OME set was stuffed on my first warm-up lap.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:52 PM

David, I read about your misfortunes with the OEM brake pads a while ago I remember. However I think it's an anomaly in your case. Either there was something wrong with the caliper/rotor on your car or you simply brake a hell of lot harder than others, as I haven't heard of anyone experiencing the same extreme problems you had. They do heat up after several laps and lose a little feel but nothing major in my experience. Anyway, for Billpo, his/her intended usage for the OEM pads should be fine.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:01 PM

I also think DavidM's experience was an anomaly. I went to two track days on standard pads and while they were easy to fade (afer as little as one flat out lap), they recovered very well and did not damage my rotors. Rising pedal effort and reduced retardation and signs of pad overheating. Heed the warning and you should be fine.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:10 PM

Racebrakes do have a street compound that is much cheaper than OE.

Their comp stuff does throw off a lot of dust.

I wore out a set of std pads in 5 x 3 laps at Calder, but no fade. So driving style affects pad life (surprise, surprise). Go figure.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Sep 15 2004, 12:29 PM
I'd say for your needs the Honda pads would be fine. You might have a look at Bendix Ultimates but only from a price point of view.

Swapping pads on the rear of the S is a doddle. Any mechanic or half competent garage monkey (ie. me) can do it.
Bendix Ultimates are a great pad - I use them for road and track.

BUT the brake dust is extreme !!!

The latest OEM pads have been uprated - so stick with them.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for street use