Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Buying second hand things from overseas

Old 06-23-2002, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying second hand things from overseas

Have anyone here bought anything (second hand) from overseas. I want to know the steps in payment and shipping and also the risk. I was just looking at the Market section and alot of accessories from the US looks very interesting.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've bought heaps (too much). From head units to air intakes.

Pays to buy from someone that is a trusted member of S2ki and has a bit of past reputation. Pay by credit card (if they accept it) or .

Be aware that one of the major expenses is freight. If it can be sent through the postal service all the better. Cheap and quick. If it's too big it'll have to be couriered and will cost a bit. Also, if it's big, heavy or valuable, customs will won't their slice too. Get the sender to declare it as a '2nd hand gift' on the customs declaration.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:10 PM

Thanx heaps, I guess its all about trust like what you said. Hope I don't do deals with a sly dude Anymore opinion and experiences told will be appreciated!Cheers.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:03 AM

well....dont quote me. but from experience....if post via EMS....99% of the time, it comes in without getting tax.....hehe....donno why. But this is the case....but then if you're buying heavy stuff, EMS can be $$$$.........so sometimes depends on what you buy....I have tried EMS, DHL and normal post(Nippon Express - from the country's local courier compnay)........EMS comes in without having to pay tax.......oh yea, btw, most of my stuff comes in from Japan....sorry havent really trade with US thou.

99% - The 1% was when I forgot to pick it up...and they send it back to the custom and ask me to collect it from there........and in person I went....and was ask to pay tax....
Old 06-24-2002, 12:06 AM

well....dont quote me. but from experience....if post via EMS....99% of the time, it comes in without getting tax.....hehe....donno why. But this is the case....but then if you're buying heavy stuff, EMS can be $$$$.........so sometimes depends on what you buy....I have tried EMS, DHL and normal post(Nippon Express - from the country's local courier compnay)........EMS comes in without having to pay tax.......oh yea, btw, most of my stuff comes in from Japan....sorry havent really trade with US thou.

99% - The 1% was when I forgot to pick it up...and they send it back to the custom and ask me to collect it from there........and in person I went....and was ask to pay tax....