Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Car Theft - Any stolen S2000s?

Old 10-25-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Theft - Any stolen S2000s?

Now that the S2000 has been on the market for 4 years it would be interesting to know if any have been stolen and if so, how many?

Does anyone here know of any stolen S2000s? Was yours stolen or do you know someone who had theirs stolen?

It would be interesting to hear any real-life examples rather than the dry statistics.

If you know of one being stolen, what were the circumstances surrounding the theft? (EG Where was it parked?) Was it recovered? If so, what condition was it in after recovery?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:31 AM
SZK

My mate's s2k was stolen 2 years ago. after he gave a potential buyer a test drive then the guy stop at his house but as soon as my mate get off the car the theft blast off ..... drive the car away. luckily he got his s2k insured at the end he got more money out of insurance company rather than selling the car privately. it was in sydney by the way.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:12 PM

Ive heard of similar things happening but not with an S2000. Ive test driven private sale cars where the owner threw me the keys and said see you when you get back. Maybe they were hoping Id steal it

Problem is SZK even if you get more as a payout the insurance companies get theirs when they increase your premium due to past claims. Even if you're NCB is protected what happens when you want to shop around for a better price so they have pretty much secured your business until your record clears out in 5 years or so
Old 10-27-2003, 06:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SZK
Old 10-27-2003, 06:55 PM

You'd have to be pretty crazy to be sitting in someone's car that you're about to buy and think....'hey he just got out maybe he doesn't want the car..... yeah Ill just take it'

Be extremely careful when selling your car here's some other tricks that Ive heard of:

Buyer says show me the security setup and learns where the kill switch is then goes back at night.

Buyer says show me the security setup then distracts the owner while his mate cuts the alarm wires.

Hell did you hear what happened out the back of Liverpool the other day with the WRX!? They shot at the guy when he ran after they jacked him.

If SZK's friend tried to stop the theif he could have ended up like the poor kid up in Queensland fightng for his life. Maybe some will think that Im getting carried away but Ive jsut heard too many stories about theives and how crazy people become when they are desperate or threatened.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd let them take it, then call Quiktrak and get them to disable the car remotely.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:52 PM

Hell yeah you'd let them take it! Do they notify the police before they disable it? They should have it set up so they can lock the doors and seat belts then drive the car to the police station home delivery style.

Only problem is Aus that as much as we are constantly developing new security systems to stop theft they are spending all of their time finding new ways to beat it.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:07 AM

Quiktrak won't disable the car unless the police are following it and tell them it's safe to do so. Crappy bloody liability laws. We mustn't hurt the poor defenceless thieves in an accident you know. You have to physically GO TO a police station before they'll do squat. By that time the car could be out of the friggin network range. Still, I have Quiktrak in my car because the annual fee is less than what I save on insurance. I don't know if it's as effective as they actually claim. Certainly my transponder was broken for months and though they must have known (or should have), I only found out when I asked them to do a remote system check. Fat lot of good that would have been if the car was nicked.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:50 PM

They tried to con me into believing that it was worth getting because most stolen cars head straight to the Sydney area and therefore they would enter the network range. When I asked how long they thought it would be before Wollongong was covered they said soon but we're not too sure. I raised the and told them to give me a call when they were onto it.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:19 PM

So, only one report of a theft, and that was by a thief who already had the key.

No reports of any thieves who managed to beat the immobilisor?