Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Clutch Question

Old 04-21-2004, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Question

Hey guys, I just purchased the new clutch friction disk but was told that when replacing a new clutch it is recommended to replace the pressure plate and some spring tensioner-not quite shore about this one. Well I was thinking due to my car having the buzzing maybe it is best to upgrade to a after market heavy duty pressure plate. Would this fit the oem friction plate? What is a good price and where can I get one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 03:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Certainly if your clutch is dead you should replace the friction plate, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I'm not sure if this is because if one is stuffed the others must be pretty close (in the case of the pressure plate I expect so) or just because doing a clutch on a car like this is such a big job that it pays to put it together again with all new parts (that is the case with the throw out bearing).

If it's real bad you may also want the flywheel machined. Check for bad discolouration on the surface.

If I were you I'd have Race Brakes recondition my existing clutch. But otherwise you can look at the something like the ACT pressure plate (at least one of the 'Stages' uses stock friction disk). Or look at Honda9krpm/Fireballs clutch they have had made in SA.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:19 AM

Thanks Aus. But can you still use the existing Pressure plate but get new bearings? Just a question because I can't see why you can't use the existing Pressure Plate. Does ACT Pressuer Plate comes with the bearings? Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 04:13 AM

You can keep the existing pressure plate if you like but its just convenient to change them all at once to save on labour down the track.

I didnt bother doing mine when I had the clutch out for the tsb because I didn't want to update the OEM and they wouldn't let me use an aftermarket with their warranty fix from memory.

If you do a search in the aus forum under race brakes and clutches you should find some good info on that.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:19 AM

Aus I thought that I remembered some advice against machining from a while back so I did a quick search and......

From this thread......

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...lywheel+machine

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GEARHEAD
Reducing the weight of the stock flywheel can be very dangerous.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:35 AM

Machining for finish and machining for weight loss are too entirely different things.

If your flywheel has been overheated some parts of the surface will have hardened. The other areas will wear quicker and you get an uneven finish (this is the same as what we call 'warped rotors'. They're not really warped at all).

You machine the face of the flywheel and take off only a fraction of a mm of material to get a fresh even finish ready to mate with the new friction disk. The mass of material removed is inconsequential.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the tip Trent. Aus where I can get ACT Pressure plate from?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:11 AM

ttm, the real question is what do you want your clutch to do?

There are many ways to modify and upgrade clutch. At the end of the day it depends on what you want to do and how much damage your bank account can take. If you want to stay stock there is nothing wrong with reusing the oem pp as long as you get it reconditioned.

You should replace all replacible parts. It's cheaper to buy them from xtreme clutch.

BTW How much is the ACT pp and what kind of pressure does it exert?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by tothemaxx
Thanks for the tip Trent. Aus where I can get ACT Pressure plate from?
Either ACT in the US or ask them if they have a local distributor.

http://www.advancedclutch.com/ProductCart/...9&idproduct=541
Old 04-21-2004, 02:08 PM

Basically I want something drivable like the stock but with a bit more bite. I don't race the car...its everyday car so it has to be streetable. Thats why I thought with teh upgraded pp plate that would make it grab better. How much would the xtreme pp that fits the oem friction plate be Honda9krpm?

Quick Reply: Clutch Question