Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Dc5 Brembo on s2k

Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're going to track these brakes? are you a P plater by any chance whokid?

I'm not an engineer or anyone with any sort of in depth automotive knowledge, but i would of thought that brembo would have put in a lot of R&D into their design and they have been made with the thickness of the metal being what it was for a reason - to maintain integrity and strength. Its probably illegal to modify brake parts like this because they would no longer be roadworthy/ compliant with ADR's etc. If your brakes fail and heaven forbid, you have an accident and your insurance company checks the brakes afterwards (which you can bet they will), they will see that your brakes were modified.

Perhaps email brembo and ask them about your brake caliper modification and see what they say, who knows, they might decide to make all their calipers 7.5 mm thinner from now lol

Originally Posted by whokid
haha, will try this on track one day, gob bless me!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 PM

Needs to be a 300mm rotor.

I've looked at all Honda Rotors with nothing that matches up.

I'll be doing this setup this year and come back with my results on what rotor is used ATM most likely going to be a custom top hat to meet all requirements.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 PM

here is an article regarding brake modifications (http://www.hoppers.com.au/articles/G...ied%20Cars.pdf)

Calipers
As a principle it is not acceptable to weaken a caliper by grinding or machining any
structure such as the cast cradle or the body. These parts have been designed by the
OEM/Brake Company to transmit the designed loads including fatigue lives and once this
is changed the durability of the calipers may be compromised. A slight clean up of
casting flashes may be ok but wholesale machining such as taking several millimeters off
cradle webs is not a good thing. The plugging of cradle holes and re-drilling new holes
half into the plugs is also to be avoided as the plugs do not replace the strength that was
removed.
Here in Australia our modified cars require Engineers Inspections, and being
conservative souls they look very hard at where the substituted brakes have come from.
If your choice of caliper is off an ADR Approved car of comparable weight your
Engineer will most likely be happy.
If it’s an aftermarket type that has never been installed on a production car he has nothing
to compare to, and might not approve.
Calipers that do not have dust boots are debatable and the ADR pressure requirement for
3000 PSI test pressure is unlikely to be met on some lightweight alloy aftermarket items.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think 'gob' is a certified engineer. Maybe have some one experienced look at it.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redLINED_S2K
you're going to track these brakes? are you a P plater by any chance whokid?

I'm not an engineer or anyone with any sort of in depth automotive knowledge, but i would of thought that brembo would have put in a lot of R&D into their design and they have been made with the thickness of the metal being what it was for a reason - to maintain integrity and strength. Its probably illegal to modify brake parts like this because they would no longer be roadworthy/ compliant with ADR's etc. If your brakes fail and heaven forbid, you have an accident and your insurance company checks the brakes afterwards (which you can bet they will), they will see that your brakes were modified.

Perhaps email brembo and ask them about your brake caliper modification and see what they say, who knows, they might decide to make all their calipers 7.5 mm thinner from now lol

Originally Posted by whokid' timestamp='1388470334' post='22943863
Ive done the shaving of the brackets and auto-x'd the car. Ran this set up for a year and the current owner hasn't had any issues either.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3043712

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2761755

Option #2:

Make an aluminum bracket

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2776474
Old 01-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000
The question on everyones lips is, is this safe?

I'd love to hear some informed opinions on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4
Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Umm, I don't want to know that badly!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM

i got a basement we can use......
Old 01-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

There's no way in hell I'd run that.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 PM

I can understand if u just wanted the Brembo looks with this set up. But if u wer planning to track why not invest on a proper brake set up?

Quick Reply: Dc5 Brembo on s2k