Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Favourite Roads/ Great Drives

Old 10-16-2003, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MattG
Hi all,

I'd thought I'd start a thread about your favourite places to drive, favourite destinations, etc.

Note that this does not have to be about roads you can race around etc.

For example a lot of import owners like driving along the old pacific highway (NSW).

Lets get a list of great drives happening.
The Old Pacific Highway is great but would be better if it wasnt patrolled so well by the boys in blue. I was booked on it just south of Gosford after the last S2KI drive.

Another short drive, closer to home is the road from Terrey Hills to Bayview. There is one particularly good set of twisties, only about 2km long - but you can do them over and over again if you are in the mood

Another is the road from Hornsby to Galston, although it is often too busy and you catch up to the car in front too easily.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AUS 2000 - yeah I have to get used to driving it first!

I have probably only driven a manual about a handful of times in 9 or so years of driving, before I bought my s2000.

In the 4 or so days I've had it (only picked it up last weekend) I've been taking it for a few drives around my local area getting used to everything. Since its really only been about been about 4-6 hours of driving total, I think I've done pretty well so far. Things are slowly becoming second nature.

I'm out west - Parramatta sort of area, but I think my car is begging me to take it for a drive up to my sisters house at Kurrajong on the weekend. Hopefully the weather will turn out fine.

So how old are you guys anyway...I'm guessing there aren't too many teenagers on here (but you never know). I'm 26.

M@
Old 10-16-2003, 10:59 PM

I
Old 10-16-2003, 11:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 35 going on 15.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:01 AM

Hi MattG. Welcome and great choice of car! Most guys here are of a higher vintage than you, although as AusS2000 said, most are going on 15. I'm 25 going on 26, so you and I would be 'older' than 90% of the guys here.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 52 and there are a few of us oldies around - like Stanley and Col.

By the way, I'm in the US this week, near Boston. Haven't seen an S2000 here yet but I have seen a few Z4s. Glad we have such a relatively rare car.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:33 PM

My favourite has been partially diminished due to the closure of Lawrence Hargrave drive but here it goes......

Start out at Loftus (sutherland) and travel through the Royal National park down to stanwell tops. (*from here there is an original route 1 and the revised route 2 to go around the closed section*)

Route 1* take a left just after bald hill and you're on the scenic coast road(Lawrence Hargrave drive) which takes you all the way to the bottom of Bulli Pass. From here it is civilised for about 20mins while you pass through wollongong and take the freeway down to the Albion park roundabout.

Route 2* Go straight and head along a straight boring road which brings you to the top of bulli pass then head down Mt ousley and continue to the Albion park roundabout.

*Take a right here and then right at the first set of lights and this takes you to the bottom of macquarie pass which is great with no traffic but :thumbdown: if you get caught behind a van At

At the top you should stop and get yourself some lunch at the famous Robertson pie shop. Then you have a choice of where you wish to head to next, but Ill tell you the way that I know and leave the other options to someone else.

Across the road and back a little there is a road that heads down to Jamberoo. Take that and it will give you a downhill run through the rainforest (I forget the name) and some great curves bringing you out in Jamberoo and then some country roads eventually bringing you out at Kiama.

From here you have a few options depending on your time and how much you enjoyed the run you just had.

1. If you're out of time jump on the freeway and head back up to sydney.

2. Jump on the freeway and head up Mt ousley and take the exit that you came out on on the way down(Stanwell park) and this will take you back up to Bald hill and you can go back through the RNP coming out at Loftus or waterfall if you take the earlier exit.

3. If you preferred the Mac pass leg of the trip and dont have too much time then head back up there and then make your way home from the freeway etc at Albion park roundabout.

4. Reverse the run and head back up to robertson, down mac pass up the freeway and then (as above) take the exit that you came out on on the way down(Stanwell park) and this will take you back up to Bald hill and you can go back through the RNP coming out at Loftus or waterfall if you take the earlier exit.

5. Head back up to Robertson then head home along the other route (bowral I think?) that someone else can fill in.

My first s2ki driveday was along this run before they closed the coast road and with the exception of the windiness on the stops it was a comfortable, incident free drive with only a few minor problems with leaving people behind. Ill post the map when Im at work or you can do a search and find our old thread which has it in there.

As you can see in my profile Im from Wollongong so Im smack bang in the middle of all this but unfortunately I dont get enough spare time to take advantage of this Its a sad story I know.

Where abouts are you located Matt?

Strangely enough I just noticed that out of the owners I think I have the youngest Kidneys here at 22! How old are you qk2000 and 0028?
Old 10-18-2003, 07:52 PM

Aussie_ITR, if you liked the Oxley Highway you should also try the Gwydir Highway from Glen Innes to Grafton and the Waterfall way from Armidale to Coffs Harbour. They
Old 10-19-2003, 02:27 AM

hmmm, austblue, i think i could be beating u... just...
im 21...
any1 younger than that?.. please dont tell me im the youngest!!

and yeah, the drive from loftus to the gong is awesome-you can go at a sane spped and stilll have a lot of fun....
Old 10-19-2003, 02:04 PM

I know I should be ashamed of myself RR but I haven't had a chance to explore around there. I know that it has some great mountain runs though just not too sure the best route.

Wow Mike well done! Were you the one from castle hill that was asking me about insurance a while back?

Quick Reply: Favourite Roads/ Great Drives