Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Getting a lil jealous of the s15s.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a lil jealous of the s15s.

So out of no where on the way to work today I'm sitting in traffic and think... shit. I think I'm getting bored of my car =(

It's only been a bit over a year that I've had the car too.

i have been thinking about selling it and buying an s15.

Here's some of the reasons why I like the s2000 and why I don't like it.

Like:
* Personally I think it's the hottest car to ever exit.
*. it's size. the fact that it's a 2 seater
*. convertible
*. handling
*. 9krpm engine note
*. it's rarity on the roads (This point only holds true when I first bought the car. now every guy earning 50k can afford one.)
* reliability
Dislike:
*Gearbox. It's notchy and hard to use for day to day driving. it is noted as one of the best gearbox's ever made but I have found it very hard to shift 1st to 2nd consistantly without grinding. All modesty aside, I shift very fast, I've taken a stock s2000 to WSID and ran a high 13 with it. I admit this is an error on my behalf, my inability to drive the car. but at the end of the day its something i personally dislike. I prefer the box's on evo's/s15s/wrxs. I find them easier to drive.
*Road noise. This is because its a convertible sports car and I understand this but it's just getting on my nervs. I fully understand this is not a fault of the car but I personally am finding it to become irritating.
*Lack of power. I would turbo this car but from experience, turboing cars taht are not coming out of factory with snails attached to them leads to a lot of time off the road.
*lack of aftermarket support in contrast to nissan/mitsubishi/subaru in terms of pricing. nissans are like cheap toys that you can break and fix for a few bucks. Break a honda diff/engine and you will find yoruself selling your ass on oxford street to pay for the repairs. After all. this is a 75k+ car we're takling about.
*skill required to drive. I appreciate a "drivers" car but someone with little as skill as me does will probably never be able to reach the limits of the car without my skill running out first. This can be frustrating when chasing lap times and your mate with an evo/wrx is pushing out 90% of the cars potential with half the skill

Okay... I think i've said all the main ones.
now...
s15s.
What I like
*5 grand and you've got yourself a safe 250 at the wheels.
*another 5 grand and you have yourself a track weapon.
You just can't do that with a honda! 10k will get you turbo n that's all!
*the g-forces you feel from the massive torque available.
*massive aftermarket support
*overall best bang for your buck car. I personally think so, I'm sure many disagree.
What I Dislike
*Every sick mate has one and drives them up n down george st on chromeis making sick flutter noises
*Not as reliable as your trusty Honda
*defect gallore
*Interior isn't as nice as the s2000.

alright now listen guys all these points are my only my PERSONAL opinions and I realise a lot of them are probably wrong so tell me what your thoughts are.

thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 PM

i went through this phase last yr....

s15 is a nice car and everytime i see a nicely done up s15 drive past i still luster for one. Its a very fun car to drive!!

The only reason why i wouldnt buy an s15 is the stereotype of being a p plater hoon.

but the s2000 is slowly becoming that with p platers buying them up and smashing them.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM

^^^ I agree, I hate the s15's reputation and I cringe to see the s2000's getting banged up by p platers.

To add to this, the 1year+ is the longest I've ever owned a car. go the s2k!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 PM

S15s are great cars. No shame in wanting one. They are easy to provoke the tail out and have a bit of fun at low speeds especially if you stick with the OEM wheel and tyres sizes, which are undersized stock in my opinion. The turbo rush is also addictive and easier to drive as a daily driver. My only dislike is the driving position and that my head is less than an inch from the roof.

Funny you mention the gearbox being a minus for the S2000. Honestly I have yet to drive another car that beats it. It's just about perfect in my opinion, and even better in the 99-01 models. The 02 models onwards feel slightly "softer" and less mechanical. Try replacing the gearbox fluid with Redline (some guys swear by this) for a smoother shift.

As for not being an easy car to mod, well you knew that from the start and one of the reasons why I like the car in that Honda has gone to incredible lengths to max out the engine's potential, while retaining near bulletproof reliability and longevity I might add. Ferrari engineers tune their engines to deliver great efficiency too but I heard their engines need a complete rebuild every 20,000km. There was a dyno of a 100,000 mile F20C recently on the boards and it had hardly lost a skip in power compared to when new. That's engineering.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert, I will help you out, how about I take your slow, noisy, bad handling, knackered gearbox POS S2000 off your hands for $15k?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blackie,Jul 26 2007, 03:01 PM
Funny you mention the gearbox being a minus for the S2000. Honestly I have yet to drive another car that beats it. It's just about perfect in my opinion, and even better in the 99-01 models. The 02 models onwards feel slightly "softer" and less mechanical. Try replacing the gearbox fluid with Redline (some guys swear by this) for a smoother shift.
with DSG / Semi -automatic / paddle shift etc being the new fad amongst car makers , gear boxes like the S2000's in time will become a true classic .
Rated by many motoring journo's as one of the best in the world . However the Jazz's 5 speed is in the top 10

Frisky Posted on Jul 26 2007, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE]Robert, I will help you out, how about I take your slow, noisy, bad handling, knackered gearbox POS S2000 off your hands for $15k?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vuey,Jul 26 2007, 03:31 PM
NFR too .... just your colour !
SHHHH! He might think I would be willing to pay a little more for it!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:06 PM

lol... o yea? well, only girls drive jazz's!

hahaha
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

the only thing that turns me off buying a turbo car is the defects and EPA's that you cop from the bolt on goodies that you inevitably end up putting on to make the car go faster.

s15 is good ride though. reliable, cheap stock parts, servicing, performance parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, boost up potential good.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

in regards to bulletproof reliability of the s2k.....i disagree.

a stock s15, skyline, supra etc - you can pound the living hell out of the engine day and night and as long as you service it at required intervals and replace oil every 5,000 km's it will last forever. Gearboxes are tough too; you can near double the output at the rear wheels, add heavy duty clutches, drop the clutch every hands turn and the gearbox will still last a long time. You hear of guys popping engines but this is only after constant high boost and a crappy state of tune.

Whereas the s2000. I'll admit i've belted mine around and so far i've blown an engine at 60,000 kms which luckily honda replaced, done a gearbox bearing requiring a rebuild, several other parts and general wear and tear on the car. No sooner than the engine is fixed and running fine, 10,000 km down the track its making some sort of new noise, or diff is ruined or some sort of other crap like cv joints etc. I've always serviced at honda as per the service manual and never spared a cent when it came to maintaining the car.

Majority of engine failures are on 100% stock cars with under 100,000 km's on the clock. I find i'm driving around hammering the s2000 and its a lot of fun to drive but in the back of my mind its a constant 'jeez what's going to go wrong next'. I've heard of several instances where after 150,000 km's the gearbox is knackered. I'm not too sure how many km's the engine is good for in an s2k - anyone got info on this?

Quick Reply: Getting a lil jealous of the s15s.