Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Has anoyone got any suggestions for a tow car (longish)?

Old 10-13-2003, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anoyone got any suggestions for a tow car (longish)?

Next year I will hopefully get my track only car finished (early Datsun 240Z with a mild Ford Windsor V8 in it). This is something that I've wanted to get done for a long time. All of my previous cars that I've driven in sprints have had to do double duty as my 9-5 Mon-Fri cars. This means that the've had to remain civilised enough for daily driving and I've always had to be a bit cautious about thrashing them on a track unless I want to catch the bus to work on Monday. As well as getting the "race" car finished I will also be shifting in to a place with enough storage for a road car, the "race" car and a trailer. I love my Integra but it is never going to be able to tow 1300kg+ (guesstimate of car and trailer) so I've got to start thinking about a tow car.

What I want is something that is reliable, comfortable, doen't chew through gas and doesn't cost a lot. It will also be my daily driver so I don
Old 10-14-2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by tafka TMB
Datsun 240Z with a mild Ford Windsor V8
Wow, this should be fun.....have you finish it yet? how does it goes?
Old 10-14-2003, 12:35 AM

For similar money to the Lexus you could get a VTII/VX SS or Calais with the GenIII V8 - either wouldn't be a bad every day car and should do the job when it comes to towing.

Not sure how you feel about 4WDs, but you could also go the Patrol/Discovery/Pajero route. The turbo diesels should be fuel efficient if that's a priority!
Old 10-14-2003, 01:53 AM

If it's for towing the more torque the better I say. Turbo diesel usually have lots of torque.
Beefy v8's will handle this sort of thing easily.

However you may find some cheap ute or something as they are designed for carrying heavy loads and will have gearing designed for that. I guess it doesn't have to be a big beefy engine if it has the right gearing for the job.

You could always go for a cruise around Pittwater or somewhere and see what people use to tow their boats?

How about a flatbed truck instead?

I just sold my FTO for this s2000 (just got it last weekend).

M@
Old 10-14-2003, 03:04 AM

Flatbed truck is good for taking the racecar around but no so good as a daily driver.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:43 AM

Tafka, for $25-$30K you could get a recent model Subaru Outback with the six cylinder engine. This would handle the towing OK and be an excellent daily driver.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tafka,

1300kg plus the trailer is getting into heavy payload territory. I would suggest a 4wd, preferrably turbo diesel.

I tow my clubman behind a large sedan/wagon ( SAAB Aero estate). The trailer/car is only 720kg so you dont really notice it. Your race car/trailer will be heading up to double that and will really run the risk of the tail shaking the dog. You need something with some weight. The SAAB makes a really good tow car for my clubman. It has 1.4bar ( 21lb ) boost as standard as has 370nm torque at 1900rpm. The traction control gets a workout in the rain. My first preference would have been the Subaru liberty turbo ( GTB). Unfortunately it has only just been released in Australia as was unavailable a few years ago when I replaced my last car.

Good luck with the race car.

Speedracer.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:20 AM

I wouldn't get the Lexus because of potential service and repair costs. No matter how well kept a car of that age with so many miles logged up is going to need attention. If you're factoring this in it might be a nice solution though. Check the manufacturers towing limit. Some cars are surprisingly low if they're not built with towing in mind. Chassis can bend especially under brakes and parts like driveshafts take a pounding. Since the Lexus has IRS there'll probably be CV joints in the driveshafts and these are a weak point compared with a live axled old Falcodore or whatever.

I've actually been through this same thought process because I have a Formula Ford that used to have a very heavy trailer. There aren't many options if you want a nice daily driver too. My setup now weighs less (about 700kg car and trailer) so I can tow it with my WRX. Before I got the lightweight trailer though it weighed around as much as yours. I nearly bought a VSII Commodore wagon. Couldn't go through with it. The quality just depressed me and I could see an unpleasant owning experience coming on. I then considered a Toyota Vienta or Mitsubishi Magna, both of which will tow the load you mention despite being FWD (it's borderline though). You just have to make sure your towball download is not too extreme. Dual axle trailers are usually OK in this respect. I met someone who tows an MGB using a Peugeot 406 (1.9L four, FWD) so you'd be surprised what's possible. For taking a race car to the track, you shouldn't underestimate how useful extra load space is for your tools and other rubbish. A wagon is pretty handy if you can live with it. A ute would be even better but not much of a daily driver. RedRover's suggestion of the Outback H6 would be great but the engine is a little lacking in low down torque. The turbo four might be better. AWD has to be an advantage though especially in the wet taking off uphill from traffic lights In the end most people with this dilemma end up getting big four wheel drives. It's depressing as a daily drive, but they are tough as nails and you won't break them by towing.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM

Tafka, if you're only going to the track once a month the daily driving considerations far outweigh the towing considerations.

The Subaru outback may be low on torque compared to a big V8 or a Turbo-something but I'm sure it's quite adequate for the job. The 4WD makes it better than a 2WD with a V8. A Liberty Turbo would also be ideal if you can find one in that price range.

Remember that on your towing trip to the track you're going to be driving slowly, carefully, sensibly etc - not attempting any speed records.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:21 PM

Quick Reply: Has anoyone got any suggestions for a tow car (longish)?