Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Honda Australia Vs Dealerships

Old 10-21-2003, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^^
Like I said somewhere else before, it's not about the money...it's how Honda manager treat me every time I have a problem. The fact that there is a TSB in US and European countries and we get BS when we mention TSB p*ss me off Honda Australia so much. Hey all Honda managers go through the same BS school.

No more honda for me guys
I was so happy when my warranty ran out
IF things break down it will be aftermarket parts from now!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:10 PM

I am in the process of a warranty claim, I am trying to get my clutch replaced due to the vibration on deceleration. Honda Australia have come back and said they will cover parts, but I will have to fork out $450 for labour.

My car is 3 1/2 yrs old, i just recently purchased it privately, and has 40,000km on it.

I have spoken to Honda Australia, and got into a semi argument with a rep at Head Office, Kylie. I argued that the fact that there was a TSB out and that they had upgraded the clutch disc indicated that Honda admitted that there was a problem with the old disc. She argued that firstly this was from American Honda, I argued well Honda's are all made in Japan, she argued that this was not the case, I said well i'm sure the parts are all japanese made, and the parts ar identical.

She went onto argue that by paying for my labour would prove a disadvantage to those who have purchased extended warranty. i thought this was quite a flawed argument. But couldnt think of a good way to fight my case.

In any case, I continued to argue that the fact they have said they will cover the cost of the part, should mean they should do the same with the labour, and that this problem most likely existed prior to the 3 yr warranty lapsing, however the previous owner didnt identify it. I also argued that the service history is strong.

I also have up my sleeve, why wasnt this picked up in a service?
I am currently awaiting a call from a more senior person at Honda.

My dealership Larke Hoskins, basically told me I was better off hassling Honda Australia than them...I may get them to push them if I am unsuccessful on my own.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All Honda S2000's are made in the same factory in Japan. That said, just because the US market sees a sound from the gearbox/clutch as a problem doesn't mean it's recognised here.

So, your car is out of warranty, the problem isn't life threatening and there is not Aus recall on the issue. I'd say getting a new clutch is pretty good!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:10 AM

Get them to agree that if the problem with the clutch is the springs only then they will pay for it since it is a manufacturers fault. If they still refuse then I guess its a matter of how much your time and stress is worth in arguing as opposed to paying the labour and forgetting about the problem.

Personally I was unhappy with their condescending approach regarding what I knew was fact, it was bordering on an insulting lack of intelligence and blatant errors in their reasoning.

You need to ask them to explain to you why your clutch is making the noise and establish that it is in fact the springs that are causing the problem and that this has nothing to do with the age of the clutch etc.

Make certain that you get in writing the amount of hours labour that is necessary to complete the job and the rate that they will be charging you. There is a standard fixed labour time for replacing the clutch so dont let them tell you that they wont know until they finish. Also make sure that they at least only charge you cost not retail.

Good luck and remember that your time and efforts could be better spent for the amount of money that is being argued over.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:11 PM

Well it certainly seems as though everyone gets dealt with in an inconsistent manner.... depending upon where they are, who they speak to, what problem they have and how they approach the dealer/HA?!

In my various run-ins with dealers and warranty claims during my ~137K.... I've had NO problems with getting co-operation and issues rectified!

Examples being -

1. PAINT MISMATCH: I discovered (many months after buying the car, around middle 2000) that the paint on the drivers side door, was slightly mismatched from the rest of the car. I pointed this out to 'Rolfe Honda' in Canberra (not I bought the car from 'Robert Lane Honda', Melbourne).... they agreed, did NOT doubt or accuse me of having an accident, had a HA rep come out to evaluate it and then I had it fixed (ie whole right side sprayed) at the paint shop of my choosing!!

2. CLUTCH: On the way up to the 'Honda Indy 300' in Oct 2001.... my clutch died (couldn't get 3rd or 4th gear), while driving a section of the 'Old Pacific Hwy' (with a few other HSCC-NSW members) and I limped my way back to 'Hornsby Honda'. I explained what had happened to the dealer, their head mechanic drove the car, they hoisted it up, removed the clutch for inspection, stated that my clutch was well worn (expected for 87K, but not abused), called HA in Melbourne and got approval to have the clutch replaced - NO charge under my extended warranty!! I left the car with them for 4 days, while I took a hire car up to the Gold Coast (paid for by my RACV 'Total Care' coverage) and upon my return on the Monday arvo, I drove away with a brand new clutch setup and more importantly, my wallet intact!!

3. 3rd GEAR SYNCHRO: Not long after having had my clutch replaced, 3rd gear started to 'grind' and I again took the car to 'Rolfe Honda' and explained that it was NOT doing this before I had the clutch replaced. They didn't try to wriggle out of it (cause they hadn't done the clutch work) and simply got authorisation for the 3rd gear synchro to be replaced - no questions asked and they knew I had tracked my car on several occasions!! In fact they picked up on a problem, that when the clutch was replaced - the 'pin' that slides back and forth (while depressing the clutch pedal), was not cleaned/greased properly.... I assume they probably claimed some of the costs, with 'Hornsby Honda'?!

Other than the above items - that's been the extent of my run-ins with dealers.... apart from routine servicing every 10K, which at some stages was every 2 months for me!!

Good luck everyone.... and don't take NO for an answer!!

-Mark-
Melbourne