Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

HONDA WINS Hungary GP!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDA WINS Hungary GP!

I'm so glad I stayed up to watch the race - it was amazing!

For once I was actually hoping M.Schumacher finished on the podium (but behind Button of course), to shave extra points away from Alonso to make the end of the season more interesting.

It was amazing to watch Button finally on the top of the podium, so well deserved (starting from 14th place) and to see his father watch and Anthony Davidson speaking on the commentary box.

Was anyone else waiting/expecting the Honda to crash or break down before the finish line? Such has been the luck of the Honda team.

And on a similar note - I really love the new Honda advertisement about Soichiro Honda that was run during the race. Very fitting considering this win!!

Button and Honda gets my play of the day.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't watch for two reasons. I had Boot Camp in the morning and I am sick of seeing Webber DNF.

Sounds like I missed a good one.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM

It was fantastic!

I too was hoping Schumi finished on the podium. At one stage (if the race had ended then) he would have closed the gap to 3 points!!!!!

But then he stupidly (IMHO) tried to defend an undefensible situation (shot intermediate tyres when everyone else had switched to dry tyres) and broke the steering against another car trying to prevent being overtaken by a car that was 4+ seconds faster per lap. It was only 3 laps from the finish and the next guy behind wasn't that close so I would have let one through and still shave 5 points from Alonso... But then again it wasn't me driving...

The highlights:
- Schumi and Alonso starting way back and geting to 5 & 6 places within the first two laps
- Schumi staying on full wets longer than anyone and getting lapped by Alonso in the middle stint
- Luzi being nice to Raikonnen, pulling to the side and lifting off, only to catch Raikonnen checking the mirrors to see how close De la rosa (who was catching him) was. Kimi slams onto the back of Luzi in spectacular fashion and the SC is called in.
- Schumi unlapping himself during SC and switching to intermediates gets a grove on and starts making up for lost time climbing all the way up to 3rd place.
- Alonso coming in for drys and a wheel shaft breaking during the pit stop... retired from the lead 1/2 lap later.
- Schumi's tyres dying on him 12 laps from the end.. losta about 35 seconds by the time of his retirement 3 laps from the end.
- Kubicza spining like 4 times, breahing the front wing and still finishing 8th!!
- And offcourse Button starting from 14th and driving a cracker of a race to finish 1st. Didn't get hardly any TV coverage though.

Ohh and Webber DNF without technical problems or being involved in an accident... the only kind of retirement he hadn't had so far ;-)
Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 PM

I agree - all those points made the race really exciting to watch!

I really have to hand it to Schumi though, look at the condition of those tyres when he pulled over at the pitts to DNF! He is a true competitive/passionate racer.

I would'nt take anything away from Button's victory despite the fact that so many DNF's allowed him to finish in 1st spot. He was running amongst the fastest lap times even with Kimi and Alonso on the track and was most hard done by with the engine failure penalty. So he got what he thoroughly deserved - the look on Button's eyes when he cheered at the end was priceless!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cashout,Aug 7 2006, 11:01 AM
It was fantastic!
I too was hoping Schumi finished on the podium. At one stage (if the race had ended then) he would have closed the gap to 3 points!!!!!
Must admit, that was the one race of the year that I have bothered to see all the way through....thought Schumacher would pull it off after Alonso went out...most interesting race of the year on arguably the most boring track on the F1 calendar.

Wonder if it was interesting enough for the spectators to keep them out of the portable brothels around the track
F1 red-light district
Old 08-06-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stanley,Aug 7 2006, 04:09 PM
Wonder if it was interesting enough for the spectators to keep them out of the portable brothels around the track
F1 red-light district
i want to comment but i cant

yes , it was a top race , i had my fingers crossed the Honda didnt blow up until the flag !
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 AM

would you believe i am quite possibly the biggest Honda/F1 fan in the world and the one GP i missed(because i was coming back from the snow, and like AusS2000, had bootcamp in the morning) is the first GP Honda has won as a manufacturer in 40 years...what are the odds. damn it.

Funny I met Button last year and I was like "where are the wins?!?!?!" obviously sick of hearing it, he's like, "they'll come, next year". i was a doubter, but surely enough...hahah...

lets hope we see more of it in the future!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1652172
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 AM

Awesome race! I was praying that the car would hold on until the end of the race, anxiety was killing me lol. Anyway great result for Button and for Honda!