Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

HSCC members?

Old 03-14-2001, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DavidM
I just gotta get around to filling in the joining form ... I'll do it soon. Though, I don't really want to go track racing 'till I wear out my tyres (or come close to it). I took new tyres to the track once and killed the sidewalls and took of good 25% of their life in one day. What I do is keep the 'old' tyres and put them on the car for track days ... I will have less grip but I have a lot more fun as I don't care about sliding the car and wearing out the tyres. I think Winton sounds good for my 1st track event :-)

It's just amazing how fast the tyres go when you take them to the track.
David, I have found that Calder isn't too bad on the tyres - it's a pretty straight track compared with Winton or the Island. If you want to come out to watch on the 25th you will get to meet the other members and be able to talk stooks - it'll cost you $15 for lunch.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:57 PM

I actually had the little beasty out at sandown a few weeks back. It actually helped the tyres along by scrubbing some of the softer crap off. They help up well. Brakes were getting a little bit soft after 5/6 hard laps.

Out of interest the car was lapping a fraction quicker then the stock wrx's on the day. most impressed.

have never driven a topless car on a circuit before, interesting experience to say the least.

I will come out to calder. had it in my head the winton was sooner then december.

cheers
mike.
Old 03-14-2001, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by brock
I will come out to calder. had it in my head the winton was sooner then december.

cheers
mike.
Mike I am sending you an email. If coming along to Calder you will need to become an HSCC member and pay for the day before hand. Look forward to seeing you there.
Old 03-14-2001, 11:32 PM

Hi Brock, Sandown is exaclty where I killed my original tyres on my MR2 ... took the MR2 there after owning it for about 4 weeks and the tyres looked very 2nd hand when I was finished.

btw, What lap times were you doing at Sandown .... I'd expect the S2000 to blitz the WRX by good 2 - 3 secs there. Though, it comes down to how hard you're pushing and how hard is the WRX guy pushing. From what I read so far, S2000 laps good 2 - 3 secs quicker than WRX when driven by the same driver. 200SX laps at rougly the same speed as the WRX (must organize my meet with my WRX friend soon).

Hey 2kturkey, coming for a look at Calder on the 25th sounds like a good idea - will have to see as it's my g'friend's b'day on the 27th ... must see whether she wants me that weekend or the one after. Let you know during the week.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:48 PM

David - You are exactly right. So many variables will dictate the tyre conditions post an event. On mine I think I was running 40/38 psi cold. They hung on quite well, and dont looked chewed at all.

It was the first time I had taken her onto the track, thus wouldnt suggest it was 10/10ths driving effort. That said I do competitively race club cars and consider myself a decent steerer or sorts.

With the roof down on the day the best hand held times were high 1.34's. Quickest stock rex on the day was doing similar. Bulk were in the 1.35 area. would have liked to have tried with the roof up in hindsight - but boy was it fun. Coming onto the main straight with the bum hanging out ))) Try that with AWD. Not fast, but fun.

Main problem with the stook was the lack of grunt out of the corners. The rex's would pull car lengths on me post turn. Stooks shining light was definitley in the braking/balance of the car. It was just so flat through the turns. Remarkable for a stock vehicle.

Think you will find the case will be the same with Calder. The stook will shine on somewhere like the island. All about sustained speed and balance.

Ps - If you are keen to have a run with the rex club, I am still a committee member and should be able to help.

2Kturkey - Already paid the membership dues. dont plan on competiting at this stage. More a look see visit. Calder isnt much fun at all, two drag races with a corner at each end

Is there a HSCC club championship for the track?

cheers
mike.
Old 03-15-2001, 06:02 PM

Good to see both you guys are coming - bit disappointed you're not competing though - don't want to get spanked eh!

Brock, I agree Calder is not the most exciting track on the face of the planet but we are using the proper circuit not the speed bowl. It can still be a challenge hustling through the esses and working on your exit from the corner entering the straight to get max speed down the street.

With regard to tyre pressures I have found 39 all round works pretty well - significantly less drifting than at lower pressures.
Old 03-15-2001, 08:46 PM

Alright, Alright! I give in to peer group pressure.

I have just sent Bill an email to check on spots left

mike.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brock
[B]Alright, Alright! I give in to peer group pressure.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:35 PM

Hi Brock, What gear were you in coming out of corners? WRX needs to spin reasonably high to be on power ... and even when it is it has good 20kW less than the S2000. Though, Sandown will suit WRX nicely. I 1:35 time for the S2000 sounds like it can be fairly improved on here. I was doing 1:37s with my MR2 (and that's when I just got it and hance did not know it). We had a Celica GT4 ('92 model) there and that had same kind of straighline speed as me in the MR2, but the guy managed to do 1:35s. I'm confident that I could have got close to it in the MR2 if I still had it now. I'd expect good 34s out of a WRX and 32 - 33's from the S2000. btw, I'd pressume that on the straight you'd be flying past the WRXs as by the time WRX reaches 130km/h, the S2000 does 140km/h. Though, I have not managed to test this myself so how did it go for you? Also, try running 'even' tyre pressure for the front and back. I was running 38/36 psi(front/back) until recently and grew discontent with the handling of the car (the back did not have enough corner grip and steped out way too easily). Now I'm running 35psi all the way around and it feels like a different car - the car is so neutral and now on the limit gets very mild underteer. I have to try hard to get the back out now while it was all over the place before.

2kturkey, I'm sure if I raced at Sandown, I'd bet my 'newbie' but kicked by some of you S2000 ol'timers. I'm still an S2000 'newbie' who does not know the S2000 that well. Though, I'd love to be taken for a few laps by some of the 'hotshoes'. btw, Do I need to pay up the mebmbership before I roll up to Sandown?
Old 03-15-2001, 11:29 PM

David, the March 25th day is at Calder NOT Sandown. The club does not want to hold events at Sandown as the track is considered to have inadequate run off areas in event of driver error. Last year at Calder we had one guy who threw his Stook into the wall (just before the back straight) and ended up with $25k damage).

I am sure you will do very well against other drivers - there is a braod range of skills but most of the drivers are older than you and will likely be more cautious. This is not a racing event - it is a track day with cars let out at 15 sec intervals and no official racing. There will be instructors available and yes you can go out with other drivers.

With regard to turning up on the day, yes, you should pay your membership first and you will receive your cap and badges at the same time. Look forward to seeing you there!

Quick Reply: HSCC members?