Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Insurance?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance?

It has come to that time of the year were I need to renew my car insurance for the S. I have had 'Just Car' for a year and was a bit worried after reading their policy statement, that they chose the 'most competitive 3 car repairers', in other words the most cheapest job in Melbourne. I normally pay $2500+per annum on car insurance.

What do you guys recommend? For best service, and let you chose your repairer in an unforeseen event.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a claim last year on my Subaru which was insured with Just Cars when some girl (fresh off her P-plates) ran into the back of my stationary car. Just Cars allowed me to gather three quotes from repairers I chose - they picked from those three. Apart from that, it was hassle-free. I thought I'd give them a go, as I've been insured with Shannons for several years. I'm no longer with Just Cars, only because they don't offer a 24x7 hour number and Shannons offered me similar pricing to Just Cars to insure my WRX.

Btw, I can't believe you are paying $2,500 to insure your S2000. How old are you? It costs me less than $2K to insure both cars (full comprehensive), my home and contents, and private health!

See if Shannon's can give you a go. They are historically strict - especially for younger "high risk" folks - but in recent years I understand they are more flexible with who they'll insure.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 AM

Thanks for your reply, from my understanding 'just car' chose 2 repairers and your allowed to put forward one repairer and then they chose, the most competitive. I'm under 25, vechile is register under my name, being male I am considered high risk driver. I paid $2700 last year, which was FULL comp, which is essential. But I have never been in a incident and the car is completely stock. Have you had a good experience with Shannons? I heard you need to be apart of a car club or something to be insured by those guys???
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 AM

I've only ever had to make one significant claim with Shannons, when some low-lives slashed my soft-top. The claim process was hassle-free. The other two claims I've made with Shannons have been to replace my windscreen after tracking and coming back with screen cracks. It's part of the policy, but they didn't even flinch when organising a windscreen replacement for me. Again, the respective claims and operators were very helpful and hassle-free from my experiences.

I think Shannons have a reputation for being a little more risk-averse than other insurers. I'm not part of a car club per se, but I do remember having to justify my "passion" for cars when I first signed up.

Have you tried iSelect or something like that to guide your choice? There are plenty out there - Shannons may not be the best one for you at this time.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by ninelarge
I've only ever had to make one significant claim with Shannons, when some low-lives slashed my soft-top. The claim process was hassle-free. The other two claims I've made with Shannons have been to replace my windscreen after tracking and coming back with screen cracks. It's part of the policy, but they didn't even flinch when organising a windscreen replacement for me. Again, the respective claims and operators were very helpful and hassle-free from my experiences.

I think Shannons have a reputation for being a little more risk-averse than other insurers. I'm not part of a car club per se, but I do remember having to justify my "passion" for cars when I first signed up.

Have you tried iSelect or something like that to guide your choice? There are plenty out there - Shannons may not be the best one for you at this time.
I will give Shannons a go tomorrow, did you chose who repaired/replaced your roof?
iselect results: "Unfortunately we can not match a car insurance policy to meet your needs." hahahaha...
I am picky, just looking for a preferred car insurer.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Im insured with GIO, oddly enough they were the cheapest for me. Before that with Lumley Special Vehicles who were absolutely fantastic sorting out some hail damage which on my request they did by replacing the panels instead of popping the dents out to the tune of over $9k!

Shannons doesnt like convertibles parked in high rise developments. Told me to bugger off in my s2k and then my brother in his porker even though we have fort knox style security in the carpark.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by marco sandi
I will give Shannons a go tomorrow, did you chose who repaired/replaced your roof?
iselect results: "Unfortunately we can not match a car insurance policy to meet your needs." hahahaha...
I am picky, just looking for a preferred car insurer.
Yep, I got to choose my repairer.

When you are under 25, be prepared for insurance companies not wanting to know you.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks ninelarge and panayiotis(still in melbourne?) for your comments. I did call shannon car insurance today, and YES they are insuring me for my s2000. I think they assumed I would not pay the amount then and there. I am paying roughly the same amount anyways. They did ask if I was part of a forum and so forth. I am happy to be insured by them, I did enquire and yes I get to chose my repairer and also I was told that if a windscreen gets damaged they replace it for free (no excess).
I did find that the excess is much lower compared to 'just car'. If anyone wants to share any experiences(good or bad) or other referrals, might come in handy with other members. Please share.

Another question, in an unlikely event who would be the best for fixing s2000 in melbourne?????
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 PM

I'm insured through rhino insurance they are Based in qld. I pay $1100 a year living in Sydney. I'm insured for $28k with all mods covered and my excess is $500. The only catch is I've limited my driving to 8000km a year