Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Insurance - what am I doing wrong?

Old 11-24-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance - what am I doing wrong?

The insurance on my X-Trail is up for renewal, I did not take much notice of the premium last year because it was my first in Australia and the car was a rush purchase so had no time to shop around.

My renewal has come in at $988 (fully comp) - is this reasonable? I thought I had seem some people insuring their S for around that figure. It is a standard 2003 X-Trail and I am 32 with full no claims.

Maybe this is normal but just wanted to check that I was not being ripped off, I know insurance companies try it on sometimes!

I am currently with NRMA and I got an online quote from AAMI for $860, about to try JustCar as I have heard them advertising a lot recently - any other companies I should try?

Thanks!

Adam
Old 11-24-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just pay your premium you whinging pom. Heck, that's about
Old 11-24-2004, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately conversion means nothing to be now Aus, earning these worthless dollar things now you know!!

Good tip about AAMI, that is the most important thing about insurance, how easy they are to deal with should you need to claim. Sometimes it is worth paying a little more for that.

I noticed that JustCar is actually run by AAMI, still going to get a quote though and see although I guess the claim process will be similar.

Strange you mention garage facilities, the online quote systems so far have not even asked, surely there must be a difference between only having on street parking and having a secure lockup??

- Adam (not whinging! )
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bear in mind also that insurance prices anywhere in Sydney are generally higher than elsewhere in the country.

Also check the conditions of the policy, some have a higher excess with lower premiums, others have different requirements you have to meet etc.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:45 PM

BTW NCB = SFA IMO
Old 11-24-2004, 09:03 PM

Try GIO, they're reasonably good. The thing with insuring an X-Trail is that it is probably classed as a 4WD, which brings with it high insurance premiums. Next time you should just buy a bloody commodore.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:24 PM

I suspect that is a fairly good rate for you Frisky.

I'm not sure what it is like for "foreigners" coming here but I do know that in Canada I had all sorts of problems because they wouldn't (initially) accept my Australian no claim history.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:54 PM

Ahh, didn't realise that a 4x4 would attract a higher premium, guess it makes sense if you take it off road.

Thanks for the advice guys, will give GIO a go too.

- Adam
Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 PM

Try these:

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/publish...suring+your+car
http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/insurance/motor.html

Both will give an online quote. The actual insurance company is Vero. I'm happy with their terms, but you should read their PDS which is here:

http://cpdirect.vero.com.au/dira/cpdirect/..._Motor_full.pdf

Lastly, when I was shopping for insurance, I contacted EVERY single insurance company I could find (I was between jobs with lots of free time). I've got all my notes in a spreadsheet. PM me your email address if you'd like the spreadsheet. Of course, your mileage may vary (pun intended): different age, length of time in Oz, suburb, etc.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Frisky,Nov 25 2004, 04:54 PM
Ahh, didn't realise that a 4x4 would attract a higher premium, guess it makes sense if you take it off road.
I think it's more because many people don't. So they are driving a two tonne vehicle with road holding compromised in favour of off-road capability on busy urban and suburban areas as if they were a road car.

Quick Reply: Insurance - what am I doing wrong?