Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

DIY Roll Bar Speaker Bracket Install

Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Roll Bar Speaker Bracket Install

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor S2Ki.com take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following.

You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hi to all Honda owners and especially those with S2K's. I just want to make a quick statement to say that this is my first DIY and modification to my01' S and i would like to think that this information can be used as a guideline only for those of you who are thinking of playing around with in-car stereo systems. If you find this information helpfull and informative, please give your thoughts.

Moving on.

I was shopping around ebay one night and came across some custom made speaker brackets that a guy actually makes up that are designed to fit within the roll bar of the S2000, and after a bit of thought and decision making, i decided to turn my standard 2 speaker system into a custom 4 speaker system. The reason for doing this is because i felt the OEM speaker and headunit combination is pathetic and i think it is one of the first real modifications that owners should perform for its lack of performance and level of distortion, especially if travelling on a highway with the top down.

The main concern for when i install stereo's in my cars is that i want it to look OEM as possible and that it is not physically visible to outsiders so that it does not attract potental thieves to break in. I purchased the speaker brackets for roughly around the $110 mark which came with the main bracket that the speaker drills into which i will show in photos later, and a custom piece wrapped in black leather to match the texture on the roll bar.

The Equipment that i decided to buy and install into the car are as follows:

1. Pioneer MVH-8250 BT
2. Stinger PAC-SWI PS (Suited for Honda s2000 steering wheel controls)
3. JL Audio C5 6.5 Inch component speakers (Front)
4. JL Audio C2 6 Inch 2 way Coax Speakers (Rear)
5. Coustic 4 Channel Amplifier
6. Kicker 2 Chan Wiring Kit (4 Guage)
7. Roll Bar Speaker Brackets
8. 6.5 Inch Speakers Spacers for front doors

BEFORE ANY WORK IS CARRIED OUT, MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE CONDUCTING ANY ELECTRICAL WORK ON ANY CAR.

I am not going to go into detail on how to install the headunit/amplifier/speakers and wiring as if you dont have any idea how to do this, then seek professional help.

Removing the seats gives better access to run wiring within the centre console to the boot where the amp is mounted.

Run neccessary wiring from amplifier to speakers (front and rear and have them crimped with positive and negative connections so you always a good connection.

Now, once all wiring is in place and ready to attach the speaker brackets, lets move on to the actual install of the brackets.

Start your install by matching up the rear black plates to the back of your rolls bars. Each plate is marked "D" for driver and "P" for passenger. If your vehicle has the steering wheel on the right hand side, just reverse the rear plates and they will match up. Once you know which side goes where, take the front plate and position it up against the other side of the roll bar.

If you are using a seperate tweeter, you MUST mount and pre-wire it before you do this.Having a second pair of hands, helps out a bunch although it can be done alone. Once you see how the line up is, use the long black or white cable tie's (supplied) and pass it through the top rings of the rear plate and then through the top front plate holes, bring the ends together and adjust about half way. Do the same with the lower holes following the same procedure and keep adjusting the 3 cable tie's until the front and rear covers are snug and line up the way you want them to look. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN, just snug. After that is done, mount your speaker in the larger hole and drop the speaker wires threw the bottom of the plate, wire them up and test for sound.

Once the testing is done a decision needs to be made whether you want to show the speaker or have the material supplied to cover the entire speaker for a OEM look. I didnt do this and attached the speaker cover that came with my after market speakers. A little warning about doing this is that, if you are tallish (im 6 foot) and you need to have the seat pushed back, then i would suggest you do not attach the aftermarket grill and have the material cover the speaker as the grill might touch the seat and will need you to bring the seat forward a notch to avoid rubbing, depending on how slim the aftermarket grills are.

Next, take the black speaker material and center it on the speaker. I used a plastic credit card or a plastic kitchen utensil and force the material to go behind the bracket. Take your time going around the bracket, moving slowly and if needed prying the bracket away to slide the material under it. As you work your way around the bracket, the material will slide into place and make for a flush look. The white ring around the front plate will keep the material in place and help prevent any squeaking noise. The plate will flex somewhat when you adjust the cable tie's, just dont go overboard with a lot of force. The speaker material can be cleaned with a damp cloth or a lint brush to keep it clean from dust and particals.

After everything is in place, turn on your stereo and enjoy your 4 speaker stereo system, please note, i have no connection with the person who makes these and do not make any such profit from you guys buying these brackets. He is a really nice guy to deal with off ebay and his name is Scott Sheldrake and was a pleasure to deal with. His ebay name is mysticthunderegg and his

speaker brackets can be located on the below link

For those who have S2's in melbourne and are interested in how these sound and look before making the purchase, i am happy to meet up with people providing you guys dont live on the other side of the world to me and does not take me an hour to travel. I am from the western suburbs (Taylors Lakes)

Thanks again guys for viewing my first DIY and if you feel i missed anything, please pm me and let me know and also if you feel this is a good DIY or if i missed anything.

Brackets on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000...sQ5fAccessories

http://img841.imageshack.us/slideshow/webp...d=img0127oz.jpg
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Nice pics. yeah, ive got the same speaker brackets on mine as well, but IMO, ive seen some nicer looking brackets than these ones. But they are great for those who aren't prepared to screw/drill the car and simply use zip ties!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Should have let us know. We would have told you about the Modifry DCI.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM

Do you have any pics of the Pioneer installed? I was actually going to get that unit, but when I saw it in JB HiFi I didn't think it would fit so bought an Alpine instead.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=joefish1298,Sep 16 2010, 10:34 PM] Do you have any pics of the Pioneer installed?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Sep 16 2010, 08:24 PM
Should have let us know. We would have told you about the Modifry DCI.
Have u got a link where I can see how they look?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't actually see it. It's just a shrinkwrapped circuit board with wires.

http://www.modifry.com/products/dci/index.htm

Ahh, I got ya. The DCI is instead of the PAC SWI-X.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:03 AM

is it compatible with the modifry? i wouldnt mind upgrading my pioneer HU to a screen
Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 AM
NGR

Originally Posted by ncmx5,Sep 18 2010, 08:03 PM
is it compatible with the modifry? i wouldnt mind upgrading my pioneer HU to a screen
If you're in Melbourne.. I had a JVC deck fitted by these guys a few years ago with the factory audio controls fuctional.

http://www.nolimitelectronics.com.au/
Old 09-18-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by YLDS2K,Sep 17 2010, 05:12 PM
i dont have any pics on the computer but i can take some for you, i recommend it highly especially for the quality of the bluetooth system which works really well with the iPhone. I am able to have the top down and i dont need to shout to speak 2 anyone. I am also told that there is no feedback with sound going back into the mic which some headunits suffer from and also echoing
I would like to see pics when you have a free moment.

Quick Reply: DIY Roll Bar Speaker Bracket Install