Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

my car DRINKS oil. This can't be normal. 00 model.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve695
Yeah, some people just shouldn't own s2000's.

I was doing the same sort of cycle, topping up, driving for 500km's and then having to top up about 3 quarters. It was even worse if I hit VTEC a lot.
Wait wait wait... 3 quarters after 500km?

quarters refers to quarter of a 5l bottle right? I'm just guessing lol. I ain't having to fill THAT much.

Some people shouldn't own a car you mean!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think someone is confusing 'quart' (quarter of a gallon; US measurement of volume close to a litre) with quarter (1/4; fraction of whole). Not sure who though!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes, I just read up on what a quart was hahahaha.

I'm only topping up about 0.5L every 1000 k's, depending on how much I hit VTEC, so it's not as bad as yours was steve

I'm gonna install a catch can hopefully this week, maybe that'll help?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:05 PM

I meant 3 quarters on the dip stick, sorry. I'm not sure what the exactly measurements are.

What I mean is, I would top up so that it would read on the H, go and drive for 500km's and then it would be around a quarter of the way between the L and the H.

I was also blowing smoke in VTEC.

New engine doesn't burn any oil at all or blow any smoke.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM

I meant 3 quarters on the dip stick, sorry. I'm not sure what the exactly measurements are.

What I mean is, I would top up so that it would read on the H, go and drive for 500km's and then it would be around a quarter of the way between the L and the H.

That... is what's happening to me. About the same.

Can I get it tested somehow to confirm? Compression test? I don't know abuot blowing smoke.. haven't noticed anything...

I'll change oil first and see what happens. I have a 120k service coming up in 2.5k.. I'll change it then i suppose.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jowjeh
Originally Posted by steve695' timestamp='1318813534' post='21075391

Can I get it tested somehow to confirm? Compression test? I don't know abuot blowing smoke.. haven't noticed anything...
I didn't notice the blowing smoke until a friend pointed it out to me. I bought the car thinking it was all fine and thought burning oil must be normal for s2000's. After about a month and a half it got to the point where I could hear a bad rattle coming from my engine and had to have it replaced. I got my mechanic to check it out and he discovered that one of the pistons was damaged and the cylinder bore had a nasty scratch in it.

I really hope you don't have the same misfortune. I would get it checked out. Maybe you will have to replace pistons at worst, or it could be something else entirely.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quarter of the way from the top (H) or bottom (L). There's a bit of difference.

Look, the H mark is full, the L mark is 1 litre down (could have sworn I already mentioned that). Every X represents 250mls.

Steve's problem would have been diagnosable by a compression test.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jowjeh' timestamp='1318814370' post='21075419
[quote name='steve695' timestamp='1318813534' post='21075391']

I didn't notice the blowing smoke until a friend pointed it out to me. I bought the car thinking it was all fine and thought burning oil must be normal for s2000's. After about a month and a half it got to the point where I could hear a bad rattle coming from my engine and had to have it replaced. I got my mechanic to check it out and he discovered that one of the pistons was damaged and the cylinder bore had a nasty scratch in it.

I really hope you don't have the same misfortune. I would get it checked out. Maybe you will have to replace pistons at worst, or it could be something else entirely.
[/quote]

I'm going to try a couple of more things before I do a compression test. I need to make sure I'm not just crazy!

Aus, you did mention the 1L between H and L. Got that part after I posted (went back and read). Thanks for that, it will help me confirm exactly how much I'm using. I'm gonna trial it again with this oil till the next service. Then I will try after the service with 10w40 and see if there's a difference.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ might be worth flushing the old oil out while servicing it and start afresh with the thicker oil. I switched brands and didn't flush it, so was still burning oil. Now i am almost up to 5k km, and guesstimate is I haven't top up more than 2l. If it helps, I measure how much oil I top up from my 4l tin so I know how much is being burnt off. I am using 5W40.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by slackzy
^ might be worth flushing the old oil out while servicing it and start afresh with the thicker oil. I switched brands and didn't flush it, so was still burning oil. Now i am almost up to 5k km, and guesstimate is I haven't top up more than 2l. If it helps, I measure how much oil I top up from my 4l tin so I know how much is being burnt off. I am using 5W40.
What do you mean by flushing exactly? I was running Mobile 1 Fully syn 5w40 previously, and i was still consuming heaps of oil.

I changed the oil filter, drained the oil and refilled with the amsoil 10w30. That what you mean? Or an extra step (Sorry, I'm only 21, not a mechanic, I work with computers! I'm just a clown who is trying to take care of his car! I still have heaps to learn)

Quick Reply: my car DRINKS oil. This can't be normal. 00 model.