Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

My S2000

Old 09-18-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My S2000

The forum has been a little quiet and OT of late so I'm spearheading a revival of S2K talk and ownership.

Anyway, my car is going on nearly 6 years since picking it up from the dealer and has now racked up over 135,000km. I've kept it stock since new and only added a strut brace but changed to semi-slicks after 6 months before tyre bills started burning a hole in my pocket and I wasn't going to the track any more. For the next 3-4 years it remained stock, bar a change to S0-3s, until I bought an X-brace, changed to RE001 (Adrenalin) tyres and installed a K&N FIPK intake last year to give it a bit of a freshening up. In that time, the only things I needed to replace (other than oil, filters and fluids) were my brake pads. Everything else is still the same as when it rolled off the production line bar my side indicators since they were stolen (twice). Although just recently I noticed my first part failure that needed replacing, my right fog lamp bulb.

During the first 10,000km I could only get around 320km out of a tank, However as time went on I could get nearly 500km and still have 4-5 litres left in the tank. That's a little better than 10L/100km. I do about 30% freeway driving and I rev it whenever the opportunity allows me to. So maintenance and running costs wise I don't know if there's a better car out there for the performance return.

I also feel I've become a better driver in the years I've become accustomed to this car, especially in the last year or so. I no longer force it around corners and now drive it with my fingertips more, feeding it in smoothly. Maybe it's a combination of the X-brace or tyres as well but it feels better than ever.

I do feel the car is a little temperamental though. There are days when it would just be too noisy and the little vibrations and rattles piss me off when I'm in no mood for it. Other days, the cabin would be buttery smooth and velvety with no unwanted noises. On rare ocassions where I have the roof off, the weather is nice and the engine and chassis are singing it doesn't get any better. Sure there are faster cars out there but the gearshift, RWD, drivetrain and engine combination and feel is something you just can't replicate in any car no matter how much money you throw at it.

The paint job has a few small chips here and there but still looking mint after a wash. The roof has had no issues either. The interior is still holding up nicely as well although the carpet and driver's right seat bolster is a little worn but other than that, all is cherry. The next big ticket items I might be looking at replacing in the future would be a new clutch (althought the original is still holding up fine after all these kms) and possibly a new suspension kit once the original one starts giving out.

Recently, I've been experiencing Cayman S lust and the 7 year itch is upon me. I don't know if the higher costs are going to be worth it though. Plus there's also the simple reason I can't afford one. This is the longest I've ever had a car and for the wrong or right reasons, I can't bear the thought of selling it yet. Oh but a white Cayman S is sitting proud and centre at the Porsche dealership on Victoria St and boy is it titillating...
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Henry and I'm addicted to my s2000.
Ever since its release in 99 at around the time of the Honda Gold Coast Indy Carnival and at the tender age of 14 I have always wanted this car. Through my school years it was only a back of the mind thought that I would ever buy this car.
Upon entering the work force at 20, my pay has increased pretty well each year and it got to the point in my life where I had bought investments and worked hard enough to figure that I could and should reward myself with one of my dream cars.
Since my purchase around this time last year, I could not have imagined the joy I would get from driving everywhere. That extra oomf at 6k and the sounds of the choir singing back to me is enough to have me grinning ear to ear no matter what the situation.
The mod bug hasn't bitten me too hard just yet, however I do believe that it is because my income is tied up in other places right now. Tasteful yet aggressive is what I invision... we'll see what happens.
I think Ill sell the car after another year or 2 and get back into investing my money. Retiring (or at least only working for play money) at 35 is a real goal for me.
But for now, I'm going to love every moment I have with my car. The freedom of no roof, the joy of 9k rpm and just the beauty of it is enough for me.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Some photos of mine now...

Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 AM

I purchased my car in March 2006, it had 59,xxx kms at the time and is now sitting on 117,xxx kms...

You can probably tell that I am quite fond of the OEM AP2 look...

Things I have changed include:

- AP2 Front & Rear bars
- AP2 Rear Taillights
- AP2 v2 (06-07) wheels
- removed windshield tape
- Wind blocker (mine didn't have one originally)
- Alpine CD player & MB Quart splits
- Muz Leather center console cover
- Leather-bound OEM shift knob (non-perforated)
- KW V3 coilovers
- Muz spoon-style snorkel
- Robbins glass rear window replacement soft top
- BYS lower seat rail for OEM seats (Drivers side)
- Whiteline X-brace
- Whiteline front sway bar
- Berk Technologies test pipe
- Project Mu HC+ brake pads

I'm really confused about what to do with the car now, it has a fair few KMs on it...although it's still on it's original clutch etc. with no mechanical faults yet! I am thinking about getting maybe a 350z, rx7 spirit R or possibly a GReddy turbo kit for the car...
Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

117 is still low for a well serviced Honda. Car is looking great TAAXED. It looks good with no front lip and that drop.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Where do I start with this car...

Purchased the car back in May of 2005 from a QLD dealer for an average price. The car came with 17" ROH Adrenalins (shudders), Eibach springs, and a K&N FIPK. If the car has other mods, I'm yet to find them. I promised myself, I wouldn't molest the S2000 with modifications. That lasted about 12 months, until I purchased an 05 gear knob since I couldn't stand the AP1 aluminium sweaty gear knob the car came with in summer and sunny QLD months.

Well that was the death of me. One $50 gear knob has turned into a multitude of mod since in the pursuit of ones own perfection and desire. First went the crappy head unit, speakers and stacker, replaced with better quality Alpine products. I then went through the horrible ordeal of purchasing an Invidia V3 exhaust. its been on and off my car, multiple times since. Next up was an Amuse front lip and my favourite lip kit, the GP Sports sides and rear. It took me damn near 3 months to find a way to courier the side skirts into the country, and I owe many thanks to a very patient S2Ki seller from upstate New York. On went an OEM rear wing, AP2 centre console some gold 19's, Toda headers and a set of AP2 tail lights.

For a while I was quite stagnant, and behaving. Then I saw the J's Racing CF rear diffuser and had to have it and i was back in the modding mindframe once again..... I searched everywhere, and everywhere was out of stock and backlogged upto 6 months. I gave up, until I finally decided to try Ivan at Hi-Power Racing here in QLD. He got me one brand new in 6wks. I was stoked. Next came the AP2 headlights, and what a difference they made - so much sharper looking than the AP1s.

This was about the time I broke up with my g/f. Five minutes after finishing work, and getting the text message saying I had a long email waiting for me at home, I knew what it was, and I was quite upset. I finished work, put the roof down, and began to head home. I got 50m up the road, when a Saab 9000C driver was doing 30 in a 50 zone. We turned the corner, and again he was doing 20-30km under the speed limit. This is where I made a life changing decision for the joy of 9K and 2nd gear got the better of me, as I ripped down the inside lane past him in anger and frustration and shut it down 180m further up the road since the traffic was building. There was people running across the road. As I dawdled closer, I became aware it was 2 police officers with radar guns pointing me a side street. I'd been done. 106km/h in a 60 zone for a few split seconds in an upset moment of anger and frustration. $700 fine, 6 months suspension, 8 demerit points and loss of g/f in the space of 5 minutes. This was not a good day.

It hit me, hard. Depression set in, and I had the S2000 sitting down in the garage under wraps. I started it every weekend without fail for 10 or so minutes. 2 months rolled by. It was about this time, I spotted an incomplete Comptech supercharger kit for sale for a bargain price....... yes - I know what your thinking, but I still purchased it . For the next 2 months I managed to find all the parts I required to make a complete kit, minus the after cooler / inter cooler, as well as some extra parts I didn't require, like an AEM 1052U ecu, 750cc injectors among other items. It sat in my shed for a while as I came to find the wonder of Yahoo auctions in Japan.

What a glorious auction site for S2000 parts. It was here i purchased a set of gold 18" BBS RG-R's for my S2K. 3 month wait, and they arrived. Spectacularly beautiful BBS gold finish (when they are clean ) is just beautiful in the QLD sun. During those 3 months I also purchased a JDM AP2 front bumper and lip that was slightly damaged from Yahoo Japan auctions. It recently arrived about 6wks ago, and has since been put on and painted and removed the AP1 / Amuse / Foglights set up I had prior. It looks fantastic.

About 3 months ago, my mate, who had been at me for months to put the supercharger on, I'd finally managed to get my hands on a Comptech Aftercooler kit from the US. One month later, he helped me install the kit one Saturday afternoon, which ended up being very very late Sunday morning with no sleep.. it was on, I now had a boosted S2000, and it felt like it really went.

I went with a local tuner to do the AEM since no ne had ever done one before. I pulled a lousy 245rwhp at 5.6 pound. I was unimpressed with the numbers, but I didn't let it get to me. About 2 months later, I upped the boost to 9psi pulley and belt. As of 3 weekends ago, I now make 305rwhp at 8.6 psi. I'd finally broken the 300rwhp mark. This is where i am currently at.

I'm nearly finished with the car, but satisfaction will never be, as much as I want it to be. i still have AP2 glass window soft top to install in the garage, and I'm in the process of purchasing a Veilside Tonneau Cover and having it painted gloss black. At the moment I'm tossing up between a set of Bilstein PSS9's, KW V3 or Endless's Zeal coilovers. I intend to make this the last of my expensice purchases.

My car now has just on 100K, and going strong. I believe I'm still running an OEM clutch for the sound of clutch buzz is joyous, however I have a very hard clutch to muster every time I drive the car. The car has a few rock chips in it here and there, but its generally in great condition. I wish I could have it resprayed, but I am not wanting to pay the money to do so.

Its been a grand 2.5 years of ownership, and never had a problem with the car, or the service mechanics at my local Honda dealership - Highway Honda at Springwood, who I might add, are a great bunch of guys and have been very very helpful when needed. Much appreciation goes their way.

Apoliges for the lengthy reply. my love of S2000 has gotten me carried away
Old 09-20-2008, 05:07 PM

Some stages of its life as an S2000:

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by s2kadrenalin,Sep 21 2008, 12:07 PM
Some stages of its life as an S2000:
That's a great looking car ECS
Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 PM

I was watching a Black AP one in traffic. Still a great looking car nearly ten years on.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by stevharr,Sep 20 2008, 08:43 PM
That's a great looking car ECS

Quick Reply: My S2000