Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

need help with diff problem

Old 07-04-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with diff problem

hi guys, just wanted to get some opinions on what to do in my current situation.

about a month ago i had to get my diff replaced in my 2000 s2k, it was fitted and in perfect working order, recently i took my car in to the same mechanic to get some gearbox bearings replaced as the gearbox was making noises as i was driving, i also detected a new noise about a week before i took the car in to the mechanic it was a loud whining noise on acceleration.

When i took the car in yesterday the mechanic put it up on the hoist, i found diff oil all over the rear underbody of the car, apparently the seal on the axel was cut/not installed correctly, resulting in the diff to be leaking oil. I have been driving around with a leaking diff for approximately 2000kms all this time the mechanic told me the noise was coming from the gearbox bearings, he assures me that the diff will be fine they ordered a new seal for it and it will be ok.

Now when i do get my car back and find out there is something wrong with the diff, the workshop should be held responsible for this? i can imagine that they are already trying to cover their arses and will make up any sort of excuse to avoid liability.

please let me know what your opinions on this matter are, any help would be great.

thanks guys
Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 PM

immediately take it to a different mechanic, and get a written report. then you will have some evidence when you sue them.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ideally you would have the diff inspected by an independent mechanic. You should be looking for play and wear on the crown and pinion. Another sign would be metal in the oil but I expect that has already been flushed.

I expect what will happen is that the mechanics will fix the seal and replace the oil and then your new diff will either be fine or noisy. Make sure you document everything they say and do and that they are aware of your concern. If you have problems it will probably get ugly.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:43 PM

ok thanks for the help guys, i will be getting the car back on saturday, i guess ill have to wait till then to find out if anythign is wrong.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:16 AM

Are you sure that it wasn't a CV boot that was loose and that was all the oil/grese? what color was it?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM

having recently replaced all driveline components for fi .i have all oem diff ,casing,axles and tailshaft. so if ur in a tight position to fix ur problem , let me know. cheers
Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 AM

I get first picks...
Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 AM

ok got the car back, everything seems fine, no funny noises or diff whine..
although it was a very expensive visit to the mechanic, i ended up replacing the whole gearbox as the old one was stuffed.

Found out that the workshop that installed the clutch and repalced the bearings before i bought the car, reinstalled the gearbox incorrectly, (chipped teeth on the gears from using a screw driver to pull them apart) also was missing a few bolts in the box, which resulted in a worn main shaft, worn gearbox housing and metal shards embedded in all the gears.

turbo ap1 ive sent u a pm
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM

okay thats some nasty shit.

although to tell you the truth if its really as bad as it sounds you should definately have felt those 'chipped teeth' especially pressure shifting at high RPM with a nice crunch. If you DIDNT experience this he either a) lied
or b) greatly over-exagerated...

you are the one that can answe this.. was it crunching?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper_R,Jul 11 2006, 11:51 PM
ok got the car back, everything seems fine, no funny noises or diff whine..
although it was a very expensive visit to the mechanic, i ended up replacing the whole gearbox as the old one was stuffed.

Found out that the workshop that installed the clutch and repalced the bearings before i bought the car, reinstalled the gearbox incorrectly, (chipped teeth on the gears from using a screw driver to pull them apart) also was missing a few bolts in the box, which resulted in a worn main shaft, worn gearbox housing and metal shards embedded in all the gears.

turbo ap1 ive sent u a pm
The final price??

Quick Reply: need help with diff problem