Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Need new brakes next service

Old 08-07-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new brakes next service

Ok guys, I just got the car back from the service today.

The only hiccup is it needs new brakes come my next service in 5,000ks time @ 70,000ks.

Since I intend to do some "all-for-show" cross drilled & / or slotted rotors, I figure I may as well do them when I get the brakes done at the same time instead of at a later date.

The next service I figure won't be for another.... 2-3 months.

I figure why stick with the OEM pads when I can use this oppertunity to upgrade to a bigger set of pads that fill the wheel arches better.

So, I'm seeking advice.... what aftermarket S2000 brakes do you recommend, that will stop the same, if not better than the OEM pads, but will look better than the OEM pads etc.

I don't have the kind of budget for a set of imported Spoon calipers pads and rotors like what was in the For Sale section for $2200 a few months ago.

Cheers for the future help.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bigger pads require bigger calipers. Full stop.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 AM

hmmm. ...

intresting Dilema ECS .

if its all for show , just paint your calipers ( been a really popular thing around here lately ) i painted mine red and got some mugen badges from ebayand put them on , and they now look hectik !!! but my massive chrome rims cover it up so you cant really see hahahahahaa

As for changing pads , if your considering track work then go aftermarket , but for the money , i dont think you can go pass the OEM pad's more then sufficient for daily use

But you got the bug to spend money on your car i know
Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Compare the OEM price with the Bendix. Might save few bucks.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:26 AM

I should have got the Brembo GT kit that was off ebay US the other week. Went in for about $700AUS + post. Was pads, calipers etc. All it needed was a set of new rotors as the Brembo kit requires different rotor thicknesses etc.

Oh well, no point dwelling on the past.

I just want something a bit more showy tham OEM. For the point of tracking it, Its a daily driver, and I'll only attend the track maybe twice a year sort of thing, so theres no requirement for full hardcore track day equipment.

EDIT: And yes, the spending bug has kicked in... $1K this week gone in just nowhere lol.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 AM

When you say bigger brakes, I assume you mean bigger calipers, pads and rotors? Your post is a bit confusing when you mix up the terms of pads, brakes, calipers, etc. But as you said, getting a whole upgrade like that can cost mucha $$$ and the S2000 doesn't really need bigger brakes unless iyou're at the track a lot or you have a blower. So if you mean by bigger brake pads as in "better" brake pads, there are a dime a dozen out there. Bendix, EBC, Hawk, etc. These high-performance pads will resist fade a lot better but tend to give out a varying levels of dust and noise (more than the OEM pads in just about all cases), and a compromise for daily use.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:11 AM

Sorry when I said brakes, I just meant the whole lot, as in calipers, pads & rotors in general. My bad.

Since the OEM pads have to be replaced, I figure I may as well get new pads, and a nice new better looking set of calipers [ie, a name brand] also while I'm at it. And since thats getting done, I may as well get a new set of shiney / showey rotors while I'm at it.

For the intention of going to the track, its pointless for me to get track focused gear, as my S is a daily driver, and it will only ever see a track probably twice each year.

I had a quote onteh ADR or DBA ( I Forget) rotors a while ago from my local Autobahn. Quote came in at like $1500 for front and rears. And that was during the ADR specials week :|

hmmmmm....
Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 AM

I agree with everyone else with regards to the original equipment brake pads - for street work they are the best I've used and the least dusty.

For the discs you could upgrade to DBA drilled and slotted quite reasonably. I got my DBA 4000 series slotted rotors for about $250 each (I think). I'm sure you can get thet slotted AND drilled rotors for the S2K which are higher on pose value but are more likely to crack with track use.

Speak to Howard at Race Brakes in North Melbourne.

I'm also running Race Brakes comp 3 pads on the rear and Endless EuroX on the front. The endless pads are adequate for street use but better for the track, however, are much more dusty. The braided lines are for security.

-Ro
Old 08-08-2006, 03:05 AM

ok, i think what u are really after is a big brake kit (BBK). but this requires major bank. for example, a friend got an endless kit for his gtr, with HUGE rotors, 360mm at least, 8 pot fronts with 4 pot rears, and it was about $9k all up.

honestly, when i hear people saying they want it for 1 or 2 track days, it often ends up being 1 or 2 track days ever, let alone a year. are u willing to fork out a few thousand for maybe 2 track days?

also, the oem pads are more than adequate for daily use, aftermarket pads are often dusty and noisier, they are also harsher on the rotors.

i think u need to seriously consider ur options here. the dba rotors are a good alternative, but u wont get larger. ull get the holes and slots tho, but not bigger diameter as u might need a new bracket for ur calipers
Old 08-08-2006, 03:12 AM

$9K, yikes.... Think I can safely say that one has been crossed off the list.

honestly, when i hear people saying they want it for 1 or 2 track days, it often ends up being 1 or 2 track days ever, let alone a year. are u willing to fork out a few thousand for maybe 2 track days?
I meant its unlikely I'll require anything excessive such as track focused items like for example, a BBK etc. I just thought I might of been able to "jazz it up" with a little bit of aftermarket colour parts that perform better etc.

Looks like I'll go with the DBA's, and painted OEM calipers & OEM pads.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll be sure to keep this thread in mind in a few months time. Just wanted to get my thoughts on paper / screen, whilst it was still fresh in my mind.

EDIT 2hrs later: Trav, or egSi / undergroundimports.com.au @ OzHonda Traders can do the DBA rotors for $480 a pair if anyone is interested :

Quick Reply: Need new brakes next service