Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

New Soft Top

Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Soft Top

g'day all,

i just want to inform you guys that i have just purchased a new soft top with glass rear window and defroster from the US for my 01 S, and atm, awaiting delivery. I was wondering what measures have you guys taken to prevent the wear and tear/rubbing that usually occurs between the soft top and the frame. I am replacing the roof due to current tears and i am just trying to safeguard this top from replicating the same damage over time.

any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to a cycle shop and got a"lizard skin" they use to protect from the chain. Cut it in half and place around the "elbow" (top back cnrs of) the soft top frame.
Hard Top helps heaps as well...
Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 PM

yeah i'll try that thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you get photos of the retrofitting of the elastics for the new top? I have an OEM 02 top I've been meaning to install for years but not sure on the elastics.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 AM
xoz

there is a DIY search for that somewhere I've seen, but not sure if functionally available since the site upgrading.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 AM
xoz

maybe modifry site for the elastic upgrades...
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 AM

Hey YLD - Did you get a Robbins top?? if so did you get it online?? if so... where the f*** is the online order form?? I've been tried to find it yesterday but no luck.

I think they re-did the web page... or I'm just lost.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by do$tylz_v2
Hey YLD - Did you get a Robbins top?? if so did you get it online?? if so... where the f*** is the online order form?? I've been tried to find it yesterday but no luck.

I think they re-did the web page... or I'm just lost.
lol nah i ended up getting a EZ-On Top from ebay because i've got a mate whos got one on his and i like the quality of his roof and the overall look. i never got to see a robbins in the flesh so i found it hard to invest money into it if i couldnt see it in the flesh
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM

After reading through a lot of ways people have been protecting their tops I went with the gaffer's tape. It is like duct tape but leaves no residue, and comes in a matte black color that matches the soft top material well. What I did was basically feel across all of the frame parts and whenever I felt a sharp pertrusion or burr, I would cover it up with the tape. My top also has a wear spot at the typical spot but hasn't developed into a hole yet, so I taped over that too.

The reason I went with this is because I wasn't interested in anything that would leave a residue on the top or the frame. I also wasn't interested in any sort of thick shim. The great thing about this tape is that if it ever wears its as easy as taking the tape off and putting new ones on. I bought 1 inch diameter tape and that is wide enough. Only downside is that the tape is somewhat of a specialty tape used in photography and staging so depending on your area it could be difficult to find locally and it is also a bit pricey. My roll of tape was somewhere around $20USD.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM

yeah i know gaffer tape quite well, it think i will go down to my local hardware store and see what they offer in the ways of tapes and also might be looking into the leather handle bar grip they use on professional race bicycles.

Quick Reply: New Soft Top