Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

New Soft Top

Old 07-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tassill
Question, I put an EZ on roof on my car about 6 months ago and overall it went well.

However just behind the back side of the door (where the b pillar would be) there is this little tab (on either side) that did not seem to have anywhere to live. Any way it just kind of sticks out a bit now, np with waterproofing etc and it looks ok but when the roof is down they "fold back". Ill take a photo of it, maybe someone will know what I was supposed to do with them, how they are supposed to look and can help me out.
Did u install urself?
Hhrmm perhaps a dark tape and stick it at the back?

Might look a bit dodge but you could pull it off
Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Yeah did the install myself, but they dont talk about these tabs in any of the DIY's here or in the instalation manual. I will email EZ-On and get some advise before I do anything too drastic.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine looks to be "tucked" in or at least I can't see it.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by NA1NSXR
After reading through a lot of ways people have been protecting their tops I went with the gaffer's tape. It is like duct tape but leaves no residue, and comes in a matte black color that matches the soft top material well. What I did was basically feel across all of the frame parts and whenever I felt a sharp pertrusion or burr, I would cover it up with the tape. My top also has a wear spot at the typical spot but hasn't developed into a hole yet, so I taped over that too.

The reason I went with this is because I wasn't interested in anything that would leave a residue on the top or the frame. I also wasn't interested in any sort of thick shim. The great thing about this tape is that if it ever wears its as easy as taking the tape off and putting new ones on. I bought 1 inch diameter tape and that is wide enough. Only downside is that the tape is somewhat of a specialty tape used in photography and staging so depending on your area it could be difficult to find locally and it is also a bit pricey. My roll of tape was somewhere around $20USD.

HI, so far, i have found out dick smith do carry waterproof gaffer tape black 48width X40mm for $9.90.Will pop round to have a look.Just to double check with you if the tape is actually tape around the frames that caused the protrudment.Right? so far,has the gaffer tape help to stop the markings? I have few areas of the canvas with protruding marks and slight worn stretch marks.Hopefully ,this gaffer tape will help .Thanks tay
Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by YLDS2K
I ended up getting the stayfast cloth with the rear defroster because I wanted it to look OEM as possible. I have a mate who has it without the defroster and it just looks like something is missing. I am extremely happy with the roof and its fitment but I must say, I guess it comes down to where you get it done. I took mine to Gary Blackmans in Richmond just off Swan st, and I must say, from the friendly service to the overall job, I am very pleased. Gary is such a gentlemen and I felt really looked after from the moment go. He has a guy by the name of Steve who is equally as nice because when I dropped off the car on Tuesday morning, he ran me through exactly what would take place and I stated that my car had just had a fresh paint and they did they're absolute best to not mark the car whatsoever.

I took photos on my iPhone the day before it went in just after a wash, so I will post these photos in the coming days and I was able to go back during my day on Monday with my car stripped and also took some photos. I noticed that everything was done very neatly and professionally which made me put a lot more trust within they're hands because anyone who knows me personally, knows best that I am very fussy with my car, where I park it, how I wash it etc. I am extremely paranoid about leaving the car at shops but this thought did not even strike me when I dropped off my car. I noticed that surrounding my car was a Rolls Royce a Porsche 911 and boxter and a few other classics bring restored. The only issue we came across was the actual defroster itself. Gary rang me telling me that when I received my roof, I didn’t receive a switch and for the auto elec to supply a Genuine switch would cost %100 + the wiring itself which he quoted me $220. I am going to source an OEM switch myself and return the car in the coming weeks to complete the job. Total installation to date cost me %770 inc GST.

I am sorry if this really starts to sound like a free promotion to him, but I am the type of person who gives credit when credit is due. I can honestly say it has been an absolute pleasure to deal with them and highly recommend him to others who might be looking at doing this upgrade.

Stay posted for the photos which I should have done by Friday.

http://img5.imageshack.us/slideshow/...=img0737lh.jpg
Hey Dude! further from the convo we had. My car has been keyed all over and roof has been slashed. Last weekend on a saturday i called nearly Auto Timmer i could find on Saturday, they all either didn't want to look at an S2000 or didn't have the time but i wanted to stop an leaks of water in this wet weather until i got the new top. I tried Gaffer Tape and Duct Tape and nothing stuck to the material of the Soft Top. i got a Call back after a few mins from one of the guys who didn't answer his mob. His name was Garry. at first he said he couldn't do it today as his shop was closed. i told him my situation and he said come past my shop. It was Gary Blackmans in Richmond. Same guy you went to. i went there, he stitched it up and stuck a patch over the area and only wanted 30 bucks. i gave him 50 for helping me out soo much. I will definately be taking my soft top to him for installation when i get the one i want, and he said he'll charge 600 to install it. He is a very kind fella, clean hearted. and yes he has an Awsome SHOP!!! soo classic. can tell his been in the business for years. i would recommend anyone to go to him! i'm just like YLDS2K. very picky with my car.

So are you happy with the Top you've got on there? would you have changed to something else if you could? i need to know what Top to buy. the rear window looks soo small!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Mate that is absolutely shattering that your car got key'd to mine had the left passenger door key'd aswell and im thinking there are some aerious geleous pricks because to be honest I know of 2 other S's that have been vandalized in the past 2 months including mine.

I am happy with the top and love the new look it has given me, I keep hearing that a Robbins top are a little better quality as opposed to a EzOn top but I haven't seen one in the flesh. Gary is an absolute legend and I'm glad he looked after you. If you don't mind me asking, where was your car parked when this happened?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hands down Robbins top is much better than the Ez On top.

Robbins tops have gotten better and better in the last 5 years since I have been installing them, they are better than OEM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM

Well there u go, straight from the mouth of someone who installs them