Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Oz S2000 track 'hall of fame'

Old 01-29-2004, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandown 1.33.37 - DC2, 540S rubber with Maserati Club on Oct 26, 03
Old 01-31-2004, 02:59 AM

Sandown 1.33.37 - DC2, 540S rubber with Maserati Club on Oct 26, 03

Good stuff ... that is a nice time there. I'll updated the table. Do you know what speed you were reaching there in the ITR?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:25 AM

Hello!

It's been a long time!

A few familiar names still floating around... Naishou! genki desu ka?

I have been living here in Tokyo for the past 10 months but soon to be back home in OZ!

DC2 ITR Phillip Island `02 (PIARC) - 2:03:xx Driver: Me Mods: Stock

DC2 ITR Phillip Island `02 (PIARC) - 1:56-7.xx Driver: Owner of Technik Tuning Mods: Suspension, RE540s, brakes, ECU, Exhaust, Intake.. Car was featured in Motors a few years back tuned by Technik Tuning

DC2 ITR Wakefield park `02 (Open) - 1:11.xx Driver: Me Mods: Roll cage, suspension, RE540s, Pads, Exhaust/Intake, ECU

DC5 ITR Wakefield Park `02 (Open) - 1:14.xx Driver: Me Mods: Springs

Civic Si (`92) Wakefield Park `02 (Open) - 1:16.5x Driver: Me Mods: Suspension, RE540s

Daewoo Lanos Wakefield Park `02 (Mopro) - 1:18-19.xx Driver: Me Mods: MoPro Tuned

I've also been around Winton and Eastern Creek but haven't been timed.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:38 AM

DC2 ITR Wakefield park `02 (Open) - 1:11.xx Driver: Me Mods: Roll cage, suspension, RE540s, Pads, Exhaust/Intake, ECU

Hi Mugen_R, I've already updated you times from the PIARC events, but I got some questions about the 'open' events. To start of, how did you measure the times? Also who did it and it it referencable anywhere?

I'm in particluar intereted in the 1:11 lap time at Wakefield as that is about 2 - 3 secs quicker than anyone else we had around there from here. Rick Bates can barely beat that time in a Lotus Elise 111s (with R-spec tyres).
Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by DavidM

Hi Mugen_R, I've already updated you times from the PIARC events, but I got some questions about the 'open' events. To start of, how did you measure the times? Also who did it and it it referencable anywhere?

I'm in particluar intereted in the 1:11 lap time at Wakefield as that is about 2 - 3 secs quicker than anyone else we had around there from here. Rick Bates can barely beat that time in a Lotus Elise 111s (with R-spec tyres).
Hi DavidM

The PIARC events are all timed. I couldn't get the exact time I did in 02 from the archives on the PIARC web site. Only has 2003 and later. But it was like a 2:03.238?? It was my first time on a track.

The Wakefield Park days were Open track days or either with a private booking day. I can't remember exactly. Though all the times I mentioned above were done on a stopwatch which I know isn't 100% accurate but as you know its pretty close which explains why I put the xx.

I've also been at Wakefield on a timed day with some Canberra car club. I was driving a different DC2 ITR that day which had springs, exhaust and RS Azenis. From memory I did 1:12.1x? A friend was timing me with a stop watch against the laser timing thing they were using. It was pretty close to what the laser was getting me at.

From the Chance of a life time competition I did in 2002 (Last time on the track). I've learnt that there are a lot of tricks to Wakefield Park. It might look like a simple track but there are areas where you could actually cut a lot of time which I've only learnt from the other drivers on the day. I was up against experienced racers and it was really tuff trying to match their times. About a second difference between the guy who won it to me. For those who don't know about this competition, check out there website. They do it once a year!
CLICK HERE

Basically there were 3 classes for the competition. Winner of each class gets a free drive in the series...

A - Konica V8 Series
B - MGF Trophy Kumho Series
C - MoPro Cup (Daewoo)

I entered the MoPro class and because of its success of the competition the previous year, there were quite a few entrants. My class was divided up into 4 groups, a total of about 80 entrants. Each group with about 20 drivers which participates in different days. Elimination process... take the fastest 3 from each group and put them in to a final day shoot out! I was 2nd quickest out of my group and finished 7th out of 12 in the finals which was held in December `02. I've never had any form of motor racing experience and the guys I was up with had some kind of racing background. I regret not doing a few driving school courses before the finals but I've learnt from my mistakes and will come back stronger next time.

Aaron Jones won the free drive in my class but I don't know how he went in the series.

I really want to get in to racing but as you know it's a really expensive sport. Competitions like these are great for people who don't have much money but want to get in to the sport. I hope there will be more competitions like this in the future.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:10 AM

Just a correction...

"- 1:56.80 = Mugen_R, DC2 ITR (with R-spec rubber + comprehensive engine + suspension mods)"

I wasn't the driver. Wish I was though!

Driver was Dean Ong (Owner of Technik Tuning - Melb)

I also found a video of me in a `92 Civic Si going around Wakefield.

Video 8.6MB (avi)
Old 02-13-2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by DavidM
Check the mods though DavidM. Remember my WRX has gone around there in mid 11s with only anti-roll bars and R rubber. I can't see why a DC2 shouldn't match that with its similar power to weight and better suspension balance.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:27 AM

"- 1:56.80 = Mugen_R, DC2 ITR (with R-spec rubber + comprehensive engine + suspension mods)"

np, I've updated that as well. As far as the other cars go, I won't put them into the hall-of-fame as that's (at least for the moment) just for S2000s and IT-Rs. Still, good to have all these times somehwere in this thread.

1:11.xx ... The Wakefield Park days were Open track days or either with a private booking day. I can't remember exactly. Though all the times I mentioned above were done on a stopwatch which I know isn't 100% accurate but as you know its pretty close which explains why I put the xx.

Check the mods though DavidM. Remember my WRX has gone around there in mid 11s with only anti-roll bars and R rubber. I can't see why a DC2 shouldn't match that with its similar power to weight and better suspension balance.

Yep, you're right. It's probably possible with the RE540s (and other mods). Though, I'd really like some kind of verification on that time to put it up there. We've got a fair few people here who go to Wakefield so I'd like to keep the times 'reputable' as much as possible (ie. published at least on the car-club site).
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 AM

Oran Park South (short) Circuit, 55.29, s2000 with Toyo RA-1's, 24th March. Timed by Ian Luff.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:14 AM

Oran Park South (short) Circuit, 55.29, s2000 with Toyo RA-1's, 24th March.

I did not even know that they had a 'short' and 'long' circuit there. Either, way I've updated the HOF .... seems like you're the only one from here going to Oran Park.

Quick Reply: Oz S2000 track 'hall of fame'