Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Potential New Buyer (Australia)

Old 10-03-2002, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New Buyer (Australia)

I currently own a moded 99 WRX and thinking of changing to a S2000. Most people I
Old 10-03-2002, 01:24 AM

you won't miss the power....you may miss the torque.

almost diametrically opposed - turbo low rev torque versus V-tec high rev band.

2000 model may be more likely to give problems as this was the "first batch"
1. gearbox problem is common
2. engine much rarer

got mine in Oct 99, had the gearbox done under warranty and all is well!
Old 10-03-2002, 01:49 AM

Er, he's got almost twice the power at the wheels of a standard WRX. He'll miss the power

subrex I presume you saw my message over at WRX groups? Anyway I used to own both cars at the same time and enjoyed them both. To me the main difference is not really power and performance or even handling but the "atmosphere" of each car. The Honda feels better quality in almost every way, it's just very nicely engineered and put together. I used to wax mine and keep it looking nice but the WRX I don't care. It just looks and feels so much more stylish and the open top obviously gives it a different character. While nobody looks twice at a WRX these days I got admiring glances very frequently in the S2000. If you like that kind of thing you'll like owning an S.

Performance and handling wise an S2000 accelerates better in the top end than a stock WRX but feels a bit slower below about 80km/h. Compared with your car it will feel very slow indeed, and unless you plan on a turbo or supercharger it always will. Handling is obviously in the Honda's favour in standard trim but even my WRX is faster 'round a racetrack and all it has is Whiteline bars and ALK. The S2000 is very responsive in the steering and turns in brilliantly but its ultimate grip is a bit disappointing after the feel of turn in, and it is poor out of slow corners (where the WRX shines). It can also get taily unless your wheel alignment is spot on and while it breaks away smoothly it can snap back and make you feel pretty silly.

Reliability issues are more common than they ought to be but if you get a 2000 model that is not making a rattling noise from the clutch on deceleration, does not use oil and does not crunch 2nd gear on 9000rpm changes then it's probably not going to develop any nastly problems. There are very few differences between year models, mostly detail changes and componentry revisions. The '02 had a facelift of sorts with chrome bits and glass rear window but other than that the only real differences are things like clutch springs and 2nd gear synchros.

Finally if you want to modify the car be prepared to spend a lot more money to see the same benefits you can on a WRX.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:15 AM

Funny thing is, we have always been a Honda family.

2 Civics
2 Accords
1 Integra
1 CRX (which was mine)

And they have always been faultless. The main reason I want to get rid of the WRX is its magnetic attraction to the police and insurance. I'm sick and tired of being followed and asked ridiculas questions, Looked at sideways etc.

Here is a picture of my car if interested
http://members.optushome.com.au/subrex/front.jpg

I have seen some S2k at dealers both white 99's with 29k on the clock @ $53,000 and thought they were a decent price. (Still need to research).

The reason I said a 2000 model was that it came out cheaper in that year 99 = $69,950, 00=$68,450, 01=$75,249, 02=$74,990.

Regarding spending alot of money to make power, I totally understand. I went through this with my CRX.

The only mods (I hope) I wish to do are a full exhaust system. Simple brake upgrades ie: Pads and lines, maybe a replacement ECU and coilovers + sway Bars. I hear induction cannot really be bettered on the 2ks. I will not turbo it as then I might aswell keep the wrx.

I should take one for a drive and maybe that will clear a few things up. Any offers

BTW thanks for the info naishou.

Cheers,
Michael

"Sport Bras Required"
Old 10-03-2002, 03:32 AM

subrex

Check out the 'Any helpful advice' thread posted by Freznal recently in this (Australian) forum.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by subrex

The only mods (I hope) I wish to do are a full exhaust system. Simple brake upgrades ie: Pads and lines, maybe a replacement ECU and coilovers + sway Bars. I hear induction cannot really be bettered on the 2ks. I will not turbo it as then I might aswell keep the wrx.

Intakes get as much as exhaust - which is to say not much at all. I managed to get about 6Kw out of my exhaust, and hoping to get 3kw from the intake when I finally get it.

Fully programmable computers get big gains. About 8kw from fuel ratio tuning and about 12kw from ignition timing. At least that's what we've gotten so far... Still got this silly problem about wasted spark making coils unable to recharge in time in high RPM I'm using a custom computer to do my timing to save money ($1000, instead of $4000 for an off the shelf motec solution)

I've been in a modified WRX, but never driven one. I have to agree that the WRX "feels" a lot faster, (though from racing them, I know that I can usually beat stock ones, though never modified ones) but the Hondas feel so much more refined and pleasant to be in.

The S2000 is surprisingly not a cop magnet, though don't expect too much discount on your insurance. I'm an under 25 male driver with a 40% and I pay $2800.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by subrex
[B]I currently own a moded 99 WRX and thinking of changing to a S2000. Most people I
Old 10-03-2002, 03:19 PM

But did your WRX have 170kW AT THE WHEELS? He's not talking about a stock WRX! (they have about 90kW at the wheels)
Old 10-03-2002, 03:34 PM

Stock wrxes have far more than that. I thought it was 154Kw at the engine for the stock and 206Kw for the STi.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:43 PM

160kW at the flywheel for a stock MY00, which is 90kW at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Here's a picture of one where it's actually making just under 90kW. The STi makes about 125kW on the same dyno.

Quick Reply: Potential New Buyer (Australia)