Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Prepreg dry cf oem roof

Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepreg dry cf oem roof

I had the street s2000 roof moulded a long while back and the cf roof is just finished

I'm trying to find out the weight of the other roofs but can't find the raw weight.
It's a 5 layers cf and quite strong. A four layers should be around 4kg. Is this light?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From memory the genuine mugen FRP top is 4.9kg and with the OEM mounts is 15.6kg.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:04 AM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Fireball was telling me about this, are you going to manufacture more.?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 AM

I've been waiting to see this since De told me you got the mold made!

Is awesome, will have to get look in person soon
Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 PM

I can get some more made but there is a long story behind this. The mould for the eom roof costed me $2000 a few years ago. The process scratched the oem roof and I had to repainted it. The roof and car belonged to a mate back then which I recently purchased. The manufacturing place then got quite busy with V8 supercar stuff until now His main income is from the V8 stuffs and small projects like this is not the priority.

I think he is not too busy before next year to make some more but the exact cost is unknown.

I will bring one of my S2k over to test fit next week. If it fits well then I will pay for the initial quoted cost but the fabricator was whinging last time I was there about it....so I think you guys will have to pay a bit more for the roof itself but I think you are still ahead of me since I have to outlay the mould.

Overall the cost for the mould and roof is more than what I could purchase from the US and is less than the Amuse dry cf roof. This is because I have to put a large layout for the mould + repaint but at least I can control the fitment and don't have to worry about freight damage.

If there is enough interest I can let him know. Hypothetically, how much do you want to pay for the roof? The quality is up there with F1 carbon and it will be 4-4.5kg. The roof is stronger than the oem aluminium with the 5 layers of cf.

If you do go ahead, I probably like to get around $150 for use of the mould to recuperate my initial cost for this. I prefer that you deal directly with the fabricator as I won't have time to be the middle man with this. Perhaps someone can organise a GB with him.

jbu88 hopefully I will have it at home or on the car to show you next time you are in Adelaide
Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by honda9krpm
I can get some more made but there is a long story behind this. The mould for the eom roof costed me $2000 a few years ago. The process scratched the oem roof and I had to repainted it. The roof and car belonged to a mate back then which I recently purchased. The manufacturing place then got quite busy with V8 supercar stuff until now His main income is from the V8 stuffs and small projects like this is not the priority.

I think he is not too busy before next year to make some more but the exact cost is unknown.

I will bring one of my S2k over to test fit next week. If it fits well then I will pay for the initial quoted cost but the fabricator was whinging last time I was there about it....so I think you guys will have to pay a bit more for the roof itself but I think you are still ahead of me since I have to outlay the mould.

Overall the cost for the mould and roof is more than what I could purchase from the US and is less than the Amuse dry cf roof. This is because I have to put a large layout for the mould + repaint but at least I can control the fitment and don't have to worry about freight damage.

If there is enough interest I can let him know. Hypothetically, how much do you want to pay for the roof? The quality is up there with F1 carbon and it will be 4-4.5kg. The roof is stronger than the oem aluminium with the 5 layers of cf.

If you do go ahead, I probably like to get around $150 for use of the mould to recuperate my initial cost for this. I prefer that you deal directly with the fabricator as I won't have time to be the middle man with this. Perhaps someone can organise a GB with him.

jbu88 hopefully I will have it at home or on the car to show you next time you are in Adelaide
Hey 9krpm, out of curiosity what CF is being used in the layers?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 AM

Keen pending on cost. It'd be great to keep it below 1.5G (~RSG price) given we'd need to source mounting kits externally.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 AM

Definitely interested pending cost. I'd be stunned if its anywhere near $1500. Are you going to source a perspex window from one of the replica manufacturers in the US or get one made?

The RSG top is listed $2400 for single sided and $2800 for double sided CF, which includes window and hardware, but you also have to factor in freight and import duties to the cost. Also they say their tops are DRY-VAC, is that the same as dry CF or a fancy name to make us think it is dry CF? I don't see the weight of their tops listed anywhere.

For comparison the amuse dry carbon hardtop is listed as $8700 USD at GTMotoring and +$2200 for window and hardware. So you're probably not looking at much change from $15,000 if you imported it!! It does however only weigh 4.1kg with glass window which is crazy light.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 AM

I don't think it will be any where around $1500. That price is for fiberglass. This is prepreg full dry carbon. I don't know what matrial is used exactly and doubt that the fabricator will tell me but it's the material used in V8 super car. The roof is also a lot more work to make than say a bonnet or boot. I reckon the ball park figure will be around double that...but then again it's not my call. I am sure it's supply and demand that dictate the cost.

Dry-vac sound like vacuum infusion technique, where the resin is suck through the material. The stuffs that my dry carbon r32 is made of jbu88. It's best for bumper and panels part since it's easier to repair There are pro and cons for both. Some argue prepreg allow better control of the resin (and weight) and is much stronger. There is some vacuum with prepreg but it's not to suck the resin through.

I have 2x acrilic rear windscreens made last time I took the oem glass out for the mould. I can lend the plastic place one of mine if anyone want to order the screen from them. I doubt that the Amuse is 4.1kg with factory glass jbu88. The factory glass is quite heavy and a 1-2kg roof is impossible. It's probably a misquote/translation.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 AM

Lets hope the fitment will be good.

Quick Reply: Prepreg dry cf oem roof