Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Prepreg dry cf oem roof

Old 11-18-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The underside is raw carbon fiber Xoz. There are aluminium inserts inside the cf tabs at 4 corners for the hinges and latches attachment.
This guy doesn't advertise and works on goodwill. He is not too busy now with all of the changes in V8 cars of the future so grab him when you can guys.
I should not have told you that because I need some more work done on my carbon r32 gtr too but.... there you go... a little plug for our small community.

He is an ex Ferrari composite fabricator when he lived in Italy. He loves to talk so if you only have 5 mins don't call him lol....be prepare for a lengthy conversation ^__^
Old 11-18-2013, 07:20 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honda9krpm
Thanks guys.
Robin, can I pick your brain when I try to install the roof next year please?
For sure mate, off top of my head have posted below how you'd go about it.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 PM

Had a chat with Carlo today, really nice guy. Basically reiterated what has been said by H9k, is happy to make more tops for us. Will be really busy when the V8 season finishes up until March or so. So either buy now or be prepared to wait until at least then.

-Robin when you mean it will need the oem part around the window (door/side window?), do you mean the part which the seals 'clip/attach' to? If so where would you purchase that. Is it a standard honda line you can just order?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 AM
xoz

OEM parts for the hard top I would source from USA someone like Hardtopguy or CFL Honda. May not be cheap but would probably be cheaper than HA. Link to parts list but price is not included for everything that would be needed.

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/prod...productid=1091

In the pic I posted above, for the windows you would need 1) the OEM black side trim 2) the window seal & 3) the hood lining trim, that clips to the HT edge, the hood lining can be left off.
If going with full OEM the rear HT spikes and front HT latches also OEM rear catches that bolt into the rear. (I have a bnib set for sale btw) defroster wires would be deleted as the rear lexan window won't accommodate this.
Can also go aftermarket race/street setup that is inferior IMO but cheaper.

Rear window seal can probably be set up with the auto window installer as they'd be glueing in the window. Strips of paint on the Lexan will tidy up the look as well, as you'd see through the lexan and view the uncovered interior that is OEM covered with trim. ( as in pics below)

pics:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...hardwares-kit/

Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2013, 01:22 AM
xoz

This is a USA OEM style, you can see that the rear window has been painted around the 4 sides, and the broad black line of the window has been painted in as well. This is where the OEM trim was moulded into the finish, this would have been a much easier way, in hindsight it makes the sealing and trim of the window much easier and cheaper..
You can see where the door line meets the hardtop it's not flush just like in a Mugen HT

Forebidden USA are also manufacturing a really nice rear spikes and rear catches copy.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 AM
xoz

Originally Posted by honda9krpm
The underside is raw carbon fiber Xoz. There are aluminium inserts inside the cf tabs at 4 corners for the hinges and latches attachment.
FYI these will need to be drilled and tapped thread in order to bolt up the front and rear latches. Does this show indents where the drilling will occur? Otherwise measurements will need to be calculated with everything to be bolted.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by xoz
This is a USA OEM style, you can see that the rear window has been painted around the 4 sides, and the broad black line of the window has been painted in as well. This is where the OEM trim was moulded into the finish, this would have been a much easier way, in hindsight it makes the sealing and trim of the window much easier and cheaper..
You can see where the door line meets the hardtop it's not flush just like in a Mugen HT

Forebidden USA are also manufacturing a really nice rear spikes and rear catches copy.
That rear looks easier to fit but I wonder if they have any fitment/leak issue.

I was concerned regarding leaks, poor fitment etc which the mugen replica roof had at the time when I did this, so I told the fabricator to mould it exact and true to the oem hardtop. The rear oem piece under the window involves a lot of work to match. It's quite intricate with a lot of undulations. I believe this is to give it strength. The downside is cost more to fit but hopefully should have good seal.

Carlo would be much happier to fabricate a flat piece.... btw I don't think this is not an option since it will need a new mould to be made for that section.

Xoz my roof has holes predrilled and taped by Carlo. I will fit this into a race car with roll cages so not too concerned regarding this.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:47 PM
xoz

^ tbh your rear section, Forbidden USA and OEM are spot on same. One could also install rear glass OEM window and defroster. I wouldn't change a thing. It would also not be impossible to fit all OEM interior trim, depends upon use race / weight vs street poser. Sourcing the OEM side window trim and rubbers won't be that hard I'd think.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:19 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Curious to see more photos of the finished product. I had no idea anyone made a full on dry carbon OEM hardtop. Any chance another one could be made? I am in the U.S. so it would be a matter of just getting the shell itself and sourcing all of the other components here.

Let me know!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 AM

I think he is making another one for my friend. It will be too large for freight.
He will only make the carbon part. The rest you will have to organise because he is very busy with v8 racing cf fab and repair.

Mine is still at his workshop because I've been busy building the r32 gtr

Quick Reply: Prepreg dry cf oem roof