Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Radar/Laser Detector

Old 04-11-2001, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Integra Type R ... Good car all round, however I didn't really liked it much during the time I had it for. Approximately 3 months anyway. The Recaro seats always give me a backache since day one no matter how I adjusted them to suit me. And quite a bit noisy in comparison, but sure lives up to the title of king of FF in Japan.

As for the question you posted, seriously ... I've never had the good fortune to have a chopper flying overhead to arrest me for evading the cops. I have done it more than three times over the past years and it is quite exciting to see how the way they panic. Once there was a serious chase, while the other two just didn't felt game enough for some fun. After all, what can be better than picking on the Highway Patrol boys for some advance driving display on the streets?
Old 04-11-2001, 07:19 PM

Funny you should mention the seats, I have such different opinions, half of my friends love them, the other half hate them. In theory, I should hate them - I am a pretty bulky and wide-shouldered person, BUT I love 'em. They just hug me and keep me in place with no back/neck ache whatsoever. And i've driven fro 3 hours non-stop in it.

I've had it for 2 months now and I love it. Of course I want an S2000 too A good friend of mine has one... and I love going for a cruise!

To be honest, a police chase is like a little fantasy for me, I think it'd be the best adrenaline rush ever!!!

Mind you I don't want to make a habit of it...
Old 04-11-2001, 09:04 PM

Any one interested in buying a V1?

I don't use mine as it's illegal I've been informed. But if any of you others with handbags and such are interested...

Mark
Old 04-11-2001, 09:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mwilgus
[B]Any one interested in buying a V1?

I don't use mine as it's illegal I've been informed.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:10 PM

It's the one without Laser detection... bought about 3 years ago... My personal opinion is a laser detector is virtually worthless. By the time it goes off, you're nailed. But I would say that if I had an older V1 to sell, eh?

Here's something of interest to those with V1's...

http://www.concours.org/se/v1.htm

I figure it's worth $600. And going up, with the Aussie dollar... So get yours now

Mark

ps. I am in NSW... Work in N. Sydney.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few comments from stateside, from an aussie wanabe....

The V1 is only US$400 so I would bet you could buy a used one for AU$700 used. Perhaps ebay. If you buy a used one, be sure it is a recent one since the latest versions seem to have better K and Ka sensitivity than earlier ones.

The V1 is supposed to have the BEST laser detection because it accepts a 40 deg angle of laser view. I really do not know if it translates into fewer laser tickets. The V1 has three laser detecting diodes front and back angled to see a broader range.

One site I like for comparisons is http://www.speedzones.com . They give a great comparison of the Bel980, the Passport 8500 and the V1. Read their Passport review.
Old 04-14-2001, 01:36 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

It seems to me that most cops are smart enough to position themselves where you don't have time to react if your detector does go off. eg; just over the crest of hills etc.

Rarely have I seen a Radar or Laser trap setup at the end of a long straight.

Does the Valentine 1 cloak itself from the Radar detector detectors? I ask because there are big fines for using one here.. somewhere in the vicinity of $1,000 I believe and another 1,000 or so if you refuse to allow the cop to confiscate it when he busts you.
Old 04-14-2001, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Muz
Does the Valentine 1 cloak itself from the Radar detector detectors?
Yes.

Reference:
http://www.speedzones.com/valentine/valentine.html

Barry
Old 04-15-2001, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
Originally posted by Muz
Does the Valentine 1 cloak itself from the Radar detector detectors?
Yes.

Reference:
http://www.speedzones.com/valentine/valentine.html

Barry
I hope you are correct on this one Barry. If not, as an ex Immigration officer (25 years back but I still have contacts in there) I can tell you that your visa for Australia will probably set you back about a grand more than you expected to pay . j/k
Old 04-15-2001, 02:01 AM

Interesting overview of the review of the V1, I hope that I never get picked up by a radar detector x 2. It sure defeats the purpose of owning a V1 if that happens, while on the other hand, I have till date not ever picked up a laser detection on my V1 unit which is the latest one on the market.

Quick Reply: Radar/Laser Detector