Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Radar/Laser Detector

Old 04-15-2001, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 2kturkey
I hope you are correct on this one Barry. If not, as an ex Immigration officer (25 years back but I still have contacts in there) I can tell you that your visa for Australia will probably set you back about a grand more than you expected to pay . j/k

The reason I want to come to Australia.....is priceless....

But I only want to buy a one way ticket.

Barry...
Old 04-16-2001, 04:33 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
Interesting overview of the review of the V1, I hope that I never get picked up by a radar detector x 2. It sure defeats the purpose of owning a V1 if that happens, while on the other hand, I have till date not ever picked up a laser detection on my V1 unit which is the latest one on the market.
Takashi.. do they primarily use Radar or Laser in Japan? What about speed camera?

--Muz
Old 04-16-2001, 04:35 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
Originally posted by 2kturkey
I hope you are correct on this one Barry. If not, as an ex Immigration officer (25 years back but I still have contacts in there) I can tell you that your visa for Australia will probably set you back about a grand more than you expected to pay . j/k

The reason I want to come to Australia.....is priceless....

But I only want to buy a one way ticket.

Barry...
And since you'd be heading to Australia's prime destination I'd have another owner to shoot the breeze and go driving with
Old 04-16-2001, 07:17 PM

Muz, actually I'm in Sydney for the time being on business contract for 2 years. The usual detects go off on Ka and K bands.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

But then again, if you are gonna speed don't ever slow down when a cop tries to pull you over.
Ahhhh, I'd take this advice with a grain of salt about the size of Uluru.

No offence Takashi, but that is just asking for trouble. A ticket, some demerits, or maybe a short suspension is nothing compared to the consequences of evading a police officer. They catch you, you're in deeper shit. You run into a tree, you might be in a wheelchair.

That has gotta be the dumbest advice I've heard.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:28 AM

Well, you can take it whichever way you like ... I am not forcing you to believe everything you see ultimately. You're right on losing points and having a suspension on your licence. Well, I don't know if you have ever lost your licence. But if you need to be driving around all day long, that is one thing worst than hell factually.

And the laws in relation to radar detectors in NSW? Well, I don't know how much you're aware of this. As a matter of fact, doesn't matter if you have it activated or not, if it is found in your possession inside your motor vehicle. The cops will definitely confiscate it first, then charge you very heavily relevantly. This is documented everywhere on government websites to radar referene websites as well.

Now tell me, do you think that is fair? Well some will argue it is, some will argue it is not. At the end of the day, this is just as bad as trying to evade the cops. So, you either do it or you just don't. Owning a radar detector is one of the most serious traffic violations as much as speeding or evading of cops are concern. Just go figure what is at stake.
Old 04-17-2001, 02:59 PM

Well, I don't know if you have ever lost your licence.
Twice.

And the laws in relation to radar detectors in NSW?
I am aware of this.

At the end of the day, this is just as bad as trying to evade the cops. Just go figure what is at stake.
How many people have you heard of who've lost their life due to losing their license? How many people have you heard of who've lost the use of their legs due to 6 demerit points? How many people have you heard of who've killed an innocent pedestrian due to confiscation of a radar detector.

Not freakin' many!

Now you go figure!

[Edited by AusS2000 on 04-17-2001 at 06:14 PM]
Old 04-17-2001, 05:06 PM

Honestly, I don't really give a damn. This world is never fair, and I don't intend to make it any better myself. Sorry man, I guess I am just too damn selfish to think too much I really have other priorities to worry about
Old 04-17-2001, 05:12 PM

I guess I am just too damn selfish to think too much I really have other priorities to worry about
I got no argument with that.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:29 AM
stk

Radar detector is useless. Don't waste you money on it. I have a Bel detector and it is good in the sense that it can detect both radar and laser signals reliably. One problem though, by the time it detects the signal I am already too close to the source to slow down (for radar signal) or the cop has already got my speed (for laser). The only time I find it useful is when I am driving on country roads. Country cop cars are equipped with older radar unit and the Bel can detect the signal from miles away (at +100km/h you have at least 20 sec warning). However, lately, I notice there are more ground radar units on country roads than cop cars equipped with radar units.