Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Renting an S2000 in OZ

Old 04-14-2001, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually saw a couple more today in Sydney. Not as many as MX5s and Boxsters, but better than before.

The diving was a mixed bag. We went for a week to the Coral Sea and were thoroughly battered in high winds and seas. I suppose I'm more of a fresh water sailor than a salty dog !!
Old 04-14-2001, 07:18 AM

I'm surptised too that you did not see more S2000s, Boxsters or MX5 here. Each time I go out (and I don't mean to work) I see up to 5 S2000s in one day .... I see at least that many Boxsters if not more. And MX5s, I'd say I'
d see at least 15 - 20 of them in the same day.

Also, even when I'm just commuting to work, I see one (not always the same one) S2000 every few days. Where did you 'hang out' when you were in Melbourne? If by any chance you spent the day in Sth. Yarra (Chapel St. and Toorak Rd) then that's where all the 'good' cars converge ... you're bound to see at least a few Ferraris there, a lot of 911s and there's no shortage of Boxtsers, Z3s, SLKs, TTs, S2000s or MX5.

Though, odd thing is that I was in San Diego for about 2 weeks (and LA a for a few days) about one month ago. I only saw one single S2000 ... and that was on a freeway to LA (it was going the other way) ... I actually though that I'd leave the States without spotting a single S2000. If there's more of them then I guess I did not know where to look (though I did see a few Ferraries, Diablo, a fair few 911s, a lot of Boxtsers and Z3s and insane amount of Corvettes and Mustangs).
Old 04-14-2001, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by DavidM
Where did you 'hang out' when you were in Melbourne? If by any chance you spent the day in Sth. Yarra (Chapel St. and Toorak Rd) then that's where all the 'good' cars converge ... you're bound to see at least a few Ferraris there, a lot of 911s and there's no shortage of Boxtsers, Z3s, SLKs, TTs, S2000s or MX5.

I did see heaps of MX5s...

I was in Melbourne just for 1 day to meet a long time friend that I hadn't seen for ages. We had a couple of drinks at a very cool and curious cafe: tables were set amongst an array of Lotus Elise, Esprit, 340R and Porsche 911s for sale. Nice place.

Even at the current xchange rate, they were expensive by European standards...
Old 04-15-2001, 12:43 AM

Sounds like you went to Duttons in Chapel St Richmond. They're a fairly eccentric (and wealthy) bunch in there. They also sponsor the Grand Prix rally - nice cars but not cheap - they mainly tend to sell to trendies who buy for looks not performance. The # of low mileage second hand 911s in there always amazes me - it seems like the majority of owners must only drive them up and down the strip on Saturday night before they get bored after 6 months and go out and buy a different one.
Old 04-15-2001, 02:33 AM

I don' think that this was Dutton's. From the description of the cars, it sounds like the the new Lotus dalership that has a showroom/restaurant in Fitzroy St. I can't remember their name ... it's something Italian ... they only opened about a year ogo or so. Cool place and very nice place to have a coffee and check out the machinery :-) They had a Moronello 550 there last time I was there. Anyway, Fitzroy Steet is definatelly a good place to check out Melbourne's finer automobiles so looks like Luis's friend took him to the right place :-)

Also Luis, damn right about the prices of cars here - it's a robery ... buying a sportcar is almost the same deal here as buying a house ... the government whacks some insane amount of taxes on cars that they concider 'prestigious' (it's all got to do with price). And that is after they take up to 50% of your paypacket :-(
Old 04-15-2001, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by DavidM
I don' think that this was Dutton's. From the description of the cars, it sounds like the the new Lotus dalership that has a showroom/restaurant in Fitzroy St. I can't remember their name ... it's something Italian ... they only opened about a year ogo or so. Cool place and very nice place to have a coffee and check out the machinery :-) They had a Moronello 550 there last time I was there. Anyway, Fitzroy Steet is definatelly a good place to check out Melbourne's finer automobiles so looks like Luis's friend took him to the right place :-)

Also Luis, damn right about the prices of cars here - it's a robery ... buying a sportcar is almost the same deal here as buying a house ... the government whacks some insane amount of taxes on cars that they concider 'prestigious' (it's all got to do with price). And that is after they take up to 50% of your paypacket :-(
Yeah, it could have been Cavalli's (sp?) David. If you have the opp. though, do check out Duttons, it's pretty W&W.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:59 AM

It was Cavalli (sp?). Nice spot.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:04 AM

Yeah, I know Dutton's ... I go there often (sometimes after hours) as I know James Dutton (the son), he always drives some cool car or has one 'borrowed'. He also goes into Targa Tasmania and Dutton Rally often so he's good for soem info :-)

Though, the prices at Dutton's are insane - for the money that they ask for 2nd cars, you can aften get a new one cheaper.

Cavalli's - that's the name of the join :-)