Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Replacing a soft top in Adelaide (SA)

Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a soft top in Adelaide (SA)

Hey guys ,

Just wondering if any members in SA can help me out here, my soft top is really worn down with a couple holes - which is making my car look pretty yuck I'm thinking of replacing the top (as i have tried to fix the current top but to no avail) now I don't really know where to go buy a soft top, and who to get to replace the soft top for me..

Alternatively there is a whole soft top assembly being sold jap import spares for $498

http://www.japaneseimportspares.com.au/itemdetails/2806

Would it be easier to buy this and to just replace the whole assembly? Which would be easier to do if I was to do it myself, replacing the whole assembly or just buying the roof lining and replacing that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has done this before in SA and is willing to help/do it for me I will pay them for the labor.

Cheers guys
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

that top (in link) looks crappy. for not too much more you can have an EZ On Auto Top brand new soft top with a glass rear window. it has to be installed though, if you're mechanically inclined there are some good diy guides on this site.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM

A robbins or EZ ON top is the best bet.

This thread should give you a complete walk-through of replacing a top yourself.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/448...#entry19184862

MAD828 in Syd can shed some light also.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM

cheers guys, I;m going to buy one from topsonline.

As for installation, well I am quite handy and do things like changing spark plugs etc but this task seems a little daunting, especially because if I make a mistake that will be ~ $500+ wasted

There is a guy in Newton I called today and he said he will do it for ~ 7-800 and he recommended the robbins tops, the only problem is that he has never worked on a s2k before, although he has replaced the rear glass and seems very confident and said it should be straight forward and that itll take him a day to complete (which is ideal for me).

I'll have a think about it, got a couple friends who might be able to help..
Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 PM

yeah bank on around a day for fitment
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM

HI ,try willshire ,south rd. marleston.They do fittings for soft top and believed couple of s2000 being done there.Check with them as you provide the materials and they ,the labour.
cheers tay.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 AM

Thanks buddy, I;ve found a guy who is willing to do it for $400, he has installed many oem soft tops (he works for honda/honda mechanic) and he seems quite confident that he cn do an aftermarket one. So I have decided to go a EZ ON glass soft top
Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by esafaeian
Thanks buddy, I;ve found a guy who is willing to do it for $400, he has installed many oem soft tops (he works for honda/honda mechanic) and he seems quite confident that he cn do an aftermarket one. So I have decided to go a EZ ON glass soft top
Hi,good to know you found someone who has done it before.Be nice to know too.Could you Pm me too as my soft top will sooner kaput.smile.
thanks tay
Old 10-28-2011, 03:20 AM

If you do want to save a buck have a go at it yourself, ive recently done 2 knowing jack s!?t before I started
You have to take a fair bit of the interior out, but its just nuts and bolts and itll give you a chance to learn a little more about the car.
you may want to find yourself a copy of the helms manual for some of the tricker bits, and its good to have anyway.

if I was in Adelaide id come and help you for niks, dont feel like a 400km drive to whyalla do ya?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:15 AM

I had my top with plastic rear window replaced with a light blue Robin's glass top. It's fairly well made.
I just recently removed the whole top and frame to convert the car into a race car. It's two years old and has probably done 5k of travel (or less) since then.

What colour is your car esafaeian?

Quick Reply: Replacing a soft top in Adelaide (SA)