Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

S2000 and Vandalism

Old 05-02-2014, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 and Vandalism

For those that haven't seen me post in the keeping an eye out thread, hello!

I'm in the market for an S2000, but I've had a concern regarding the soft top for a while, particularly it being a target of vandalism. I've heard many horror stories, most of which I've noticed come from the states of people slashing the soft tops to have a go at the seats (which supposedly bolt straight into some other Hondas, and are good for a quick buck) or just because they're sick human beings.

Why this concerns me is although I'm fine with the lack of practicality aspect of owning an S2000 as a daily, due to where I work, I have to park in an unsecured shopping centre parking lot well past the closing time of the shopping centre every second weekend til about 8PM. It's usually deserted, but sometimes you'll see a few people hanging about. I'll also be parking in a large (and crowded) open air car park a few times a week for uni.

I've searched the AU & NZ forum for 'vandalism' and I've only found a few cases of soft top vandalism, with the latest reported being in 2009. Seeing as there are only a fraction of the number of S2000's in the US (66k vs 1.8k sold) here, I'd imagine much of the horror stories are simply due to the fact that there is a lot more of these cars in the US than here.

So my question is, is soft top slashing common at all in AU? Anyone got recent stories of vandalism in general? I'd definitely be going the further mile and investing in a hard top for use until I don't have to park til late at night or until I get a daily beater, but it's going to take some time to arrive.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truth of the matter any car is a target for scumbags, soft top cars for sure more prone, and yes this is why I got into hard tops. Bottom line is if you fear it then you'll probably attract it. My motto is heal the fear.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:40 PM

Anyone with a soft-top is at risk, best advice would be to invest in a hardtop, alarm system (preventative) and just don't leave any belongings in the car

In terms of vandalism I've had my Honda Civic key'd across while parked at UNI, was only 2-3months old 2013 brand new.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by xoz
Truth of the matter any car is a target for scumbags, soft top cars for sure more prone, and yes this is why I got into hard tops. Bottom line is if you fear it then you'll probably attract it. My motto is heal the fear.
Where did you get it and how much did the hard top set you back? I've found the forbidden-usa hard tops have a good reputation and a very good price, but I haven't asked if they shipped to AU.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:19 AM
xoz

Originally Posted by JL140
Originally Posted by xoz' timestamp='1399073642' post='23141788
Where did you get it and how much did the hard top set you back? I've found the forbidden-usa hard tops have a good reputation and a very good price, but I haven't asked if they shipped to AU.
This is FS good price.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/575358...76886942353613
Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 AM

The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
I don't think I'm a member of the group to see it
Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM
xoz

Try this

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...#entry23142665
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 PM

That's a pretty sweet price for a factory OEM hard top.. But car first, then hard top
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 AM

hey there, i used to think the same before owning a soft top. i've been driving s2k's the last decade as daily drivers. never had any issues, apart from this one time that someone vomitted on my boot lid when it was parked in the cato street car park just off chapel st where the safeway is...lol. I've always parked my cars wherever, in and around night spots, in dim streets, well lit streets. never had any issues to date, but i make a point of never leaving anything on the seats and closing the radio compartment. my car is yellow so it stands out.

if you are going to park outside, the top will get weathered more. i've owned two s2000's now, and by time they both hit around 8 years old the roof's have been worn and in need of replacement with cracks forming in the roof. Just means you might have to replace it every 6 years or something instead. I park mine undercover at work, in the garage at home.

just have comp insurance and you should be fine. i'd be more then happy for someone to come slash my roof up which already has a crack in it, then pay the $500 insurance excess to get a new roof, and if they take my seats, all the better new seats as well. lol.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM

The vomit must've been terrible to clean up, although that does give me some peace of mind as to being able to park it until the hard top arrives. Comprehensive is expensive but not having it is definitely not an option for a car like this.

Quick Reply: S2000 and Vandalism