Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

S2000 and Vandalism

Old 05-10-2014, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redLINED_S2K
hey there, i used to think the same before owning a soft top. i've been driving s2k's the last decade as daily drivers. never had any issues, apart from this one time that someone vomitted on my boot lid when it was parked in the cato street car park just off chapel st where the safeway is...lol. I've always parked my cars wherever, in and around night spots, in dim streets, well lit streets. never had any issues to date, but i make a point of never leaving anything on the seats and closing the radio compartment. my car is yellow so it stands out.

if you are going to park outside, the top will get weathered more. i've owned two s2000's now, and by time they both hit around 8 years old the roof's have been worn and in need of replacement with cracks forming in the roof. Just means you might have to replace it every 6 years or something instead. I park mine undercover at work, in the garage at home.

just have comp insurance and you should be fine. i'd be more then happy for someone to come slash my roof up which already has a crack in it, then pay the $500 insurance excess to get a new roof, and if they take my seats, all the better new seats as well. lol.
My car has been egged while parked on the street. But the most annoying one was parking at a very busy area and somebody with poopy underwear threw it on my bonnet. Came out of a movie and... yeh. Used my foot to kick it off lol...

The previous owner of my car had one of the doors kicked in though I heard...

There's always somebody out there to ruin nice things regardless of why.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by aozora
..and somebody with poopy underwear threw it on my bonnet..
Oh god, just thinking of how they arrived at carrying poopy underwear around to throw on nice cars is mind boggling.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM

i had someone put out their cigarette on my soft top. i parked my car right outside my work place at the time and surprised no one had seen as there would have been a lot of people walking in and out.

i was lucky as the soft top wasn't even affected, even the markings ended up washing away.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 PM
1RM

Some people are stupid, someone decided to kick/punch his S2000 mirror when it was parked on the side of the road. No damage to the mirror but the door has a wave in it right under the mirror.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 AM

I've had a bad run with soft tops.
Day after I got my S2000, a friend opened the roof too quickly on a cold day... and the plastic window cracked.
Replaced with a softtop with a glass window.
About 3 months later, I returned to my car, which was parked in a side street in South Yarra and found a big basketball sized dint on the bonnet. Looked like someone had thrown a basketball at it... was furious and had that fixed.
A month before the car's one year anniversary, the roof was slashed right outside a friend's place in Kooyong, a fairly well off suburb in Melbourne.
Replaced the roof again.
More recently, on Halloween last year, roof was slashed in a packed car park in Camberwell. Haven't replaced the roof yet.

I've found it incredibly frustrating, my car is completely stock, no modifications to attract attention at all. It's probably been a bit more irritating as I've paid out of pocket for all repairs due to my insurance excess being fairly high.

So what are the lessons? Just don't be too upset if something happens to it. If my car can be trashed in public on 3 separate occasions in fairly well off suburbs, it could happen to you. Or that there are more douchebag vandals in those suburbs.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ToucanDan
Day after I got my S2000, a friend opened the roof too quickly on a cold day... and the plastic window cracked.
About 3 months later, I returned to my car, which was parked in a side street in South Yarra and found a big basketball sized dint on the bonnet. Looked like someone had thrown a basketball at it... was furious and had that fixed.
A month before the car's one year anniversary, the roof was slashed right outside a friend's place in Kooyong, a fairly well off suburb in Melbourne.
Replaced the roof again.
More recently, on Halloween last year, roof was slashed in a packed car park in Camberwell. Haven't replaced the roof yet.

I've found it incredibly frustrating, my car is completely stock, no modifications to attract attention at all. It's probably been a bit more irritating as I've paid out of pocket for all repairs due to my insurance excess being fairly high.

So what are the lessons? Just don't be too upset if something happens to it. If my car can be trashed in public on 3 separate occasions in fairly well off suburbs, it could happen to you. Or that there are more douchebag vandals in those suburbs.
Maybe its a sign for a hardtop
Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Replaced the roof again.

That really sucks. I wonder if it's a problem that's more common to S's than say, Nissan Z's or newer BMW's (friend of a friend's BMW got keyed quite savagely across 5 panels recently). How long have you owned your S?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never had an issue. Even if you are unlucky enough to get a soft top cut they're not crazy expensive in the scheme of things (~ $500). I'd rather have my roof cut than a key through all the panels.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by JL140
That really sucks. I wonder if it's a problem that's more common to S's than say, Nissan Z's or newer BMW's (friend of a friend's BMW got keyed quite savagely across 5 panels recently). How long have you owned your S?
Since early middle 2010. Just had a bad run.

Originally Posted by clio
I've never had an issue. Even if you are unlucky enough to get a soft top cut they're not crazy expensive in the scheme of things (~ $500). I'd rather have my roof cut than a key through all the panels.
True, the roof itself is not a big cost, I've picked all of mine via eBay / topsonline from the States, but the install is the costly part.
Who wants to give it a shot for a few slabs of beer?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 AM

Since early middle 2010. Just had a bad run.

True, the roof itself is not a big cost, I've picked all of mine via eBay / topsonline from the States, but the install is the costly part.
Who wants to give it a shot for a few slabs of beer?
Pm whokid