Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Secondary bonnet-strap requirements?

Old 11-01-2004, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary bonnet-strap requirements?

I know that someone mentioned a while ago that CAMS have changed their position on secondary-bonnet-strap requirements. It was something along the lines that that CAMS no longer deems them necessary on road-cars build post 1970 (or something like that). Anyway, I was looking through the CAMS site to see if I can find any reference to to the secondary-bonnet-strap rule, and the closet I found was this (which has it as a requirement):

http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=...rted&ObjectID=6

So, does anyone know anymore about this? If so, has anyone been ablo to find the change to this rule/requirement on their website?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:25 PM

David, get yourself a copy of the 2004 CAMS Manual Of Motor Sport - this is "the law" as opposed to a web site - YOU can talk with CAMS about updating their web site - anyway, page 6-6 under Schedule B, Item 1 (half way down the left column, with highlighting to show something has changed, though you will need a prev edition for comapriason (I've only got the 2002 for reference) it clearly states
"be fitted with at least two independent fastening system, of adequate strength and limited extensibilty, which simulltaneously hold the bonnets or panels closed.
[COLOR=orange]In other than races, registered[COLOR=gray] production cars manufactured after 1 January 1973, and other cars as explicitly approved by [COLOR=orange]CAMS may [COLOR=gray] utilise the original, unmodified manufacturer's [COLOR=orange] components for securing [COLOR=gray]the bonnet, without the use of a secondary restraint mechanism"

And as I think I pointed out in the prev post (no, I can't get SEARCH to find it either) IF there is a requirement for a secondary restraint in the supp regs, then you must still have one. It is also likely that even if not in the supp regs, then given the amount of publicity this hasn't had, that some scrutineers may not be aware of the change, and you'd need to show them the manual (did someone say ram it down their throat?)
Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 PM

Thanks Billyblue ... that's exactly what I was looking for. Shame CAMS does not keep this on-line for easy reference.