Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Speed Camera Research

Old 10-27-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Camera Research

Great article on Drive.com.au
Old 10-27-2003, 06:17 PM
fwc

An interesting article indeed.

I heard another anecdotal report that I have been unable to track down or authenticate that a German expert analysed why the reduced speed limits in Australia didn't seem to be helping. He came to the conclusion that the limits were so low that people became inattentive from the increased duration of journeys plus boredom.

The seems to be a class in the ascendency that live on the public purse (politicians, public servants and publically funded groups) who are dedicated to telling what is and is not good for you, and what you should and should not be doing. Watching the Bulldogs run aruond in jerseys saying Speed Kills is pretty incongruous when you think about it. I guess the wowsers are back.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:19 PM

I find this website very useful
www.radar1.com
it has saved me a lot of $$$$$
Old 10-27-2003, 08:14 PM

From talking to a family friend (who has been a policeman for many years).... any road accident that they can't pinpoint the exact cause, is simply put it down to being a 'speeding related' incident. Little wonder then, that the government finds that 30% of accidents are caused by speeding!!

What are they doing about the other 70% of causes.... hmmm?!

I wish the governments and authorities.... would wake up and smell the sh*t they are shovelling down our throats - knowing that most members of the public, aren't that bloody stupid to know a 'rip off' when they see one!!

I'm happy for cameras to be placed on intersections, where a high number of accidents have been recorded (ie 'black spots').... as that is fair enough in my book. But for cameras to be placed on long/straight sections of open Highways/Freeways (where accidents are non-existant), then that simply points to plain out 'revenue collection'!!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:01 AM
CKY

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aussie_ITR-0239
But for cameras to be placed on long/straight sections of open Highways/Freeways (where accidents are non-existant), then that simply points to plain out 'revenue collection'!!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:37 PM

I didn't say there wasn't any accidents out on country roads (of course there are) - but was merely pointing out, that they are not ALL caused by speeding.... more so drunk driving, fatigue, boredom and city drivers who aren't use to long distance driving!!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:39 PM

That's the other thing that really p*sses me off - all the HUGE amount of $$$ collected from fines etc, does NOT go back into the road/driver system.... merely the 'general' coffers of the government, for them to 'buy' votes in spending $$$ on other areas (eg education & health)!!

Many experts agree that properly funded and run 'advanced driver training'.... would have a far greater impact on reducing the road toll, than simply slugging people from their wallets - it's a proactive approach, rather than a negative one! :dontknow:

I could safely say - there has not been a single time in my 10 years of driving, that I have not broken the law and been above the legal speed limit @ some (ok, many) stages of a drive! If we use the governements rational of "every 5km/h over the speed limit, you double your risk of an accident" and laws of proability, I should have been involved or caused many accidents by now! :shakehea:

However, have I NOT had a single accident or caused any accidents (touch wood).... because I believe with the many driver training courses (defensive, advanced, skin pan, high-perf race) I have attended, that my general alertness/attentiveness on the road is above the 'average joe' driver. Plus I drive to the 'conditions', not the speed limit (eg time of day, wet weather, traffic density).... which the government seems to be making the public become 'speedo watchers' and to think as long as I'm not over the speed limit, I'm do the right thing (regardless of the conditions)!! :shooting:

Given the vast amounts of road networks and distances travelled by Australian road uses each year.... the government should follow the lead of many other Western countires (eg USA, Canada, parts of Europe), by 'increasing' speed limits in certain areas (major highways/freeways) - to both improve driver concentration and reduce fatigue/boredom on long drives!! :thumbsup:
Old 10-28-2003, 05:53 PM
tze

Simple example - on my way back from Sydney (see other thread) - I supposedly got pinged for 18km/h over.

Fair enough, I was "speeding".

However:
- I also stopped 4 times on the way down, and took a nap when I was tired.
- I did not tailgate - and got myself into the overtaking lane at least 30 m before I hit the back of the car in front that I intended to pass.
- when I passed big trucks, I didn't happily creep pass at the speed limit, but passed the rapidly and safely so that I lessened the danger of getting hit by a big ass truck
- I turned on my lights when it got darker.
- I checked all my fluid levels before i left
- I checked all my tire pressures before I left.

Guess what, I passed at least 30 drivers on the way who tailgated, couldnt drive at consistent speeds, cut infront of me, did not switch on their lights, stayed for a good 1+min next to a truck they were trying to pass..

But yet, I got busted for "speeding", on a straight road, with no cars in sight.....
Old 10-29-2003, 12:25 AM

.... a perfect example of a very 'flawed' system!!

Here's a great website - http://www.roadsense.com.au/
Old 10-30-2003, 08:12 PM

Two articles from today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/...7233322213.html

and the car that highlighted the problem:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/...7233322216.html

And considering The Age didn't carry last week's story about a group of police sergeants who collectively critised the Vic govt for revenue raising from speed cameras...

Finally of course aren't speed cameras considered scientific instruments and can't be challenged in Vic courts?

Still chalk one up to Today Tonight, I think...

Quick Reply: Speed Camera Research