Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Survey re Custom Built Single Outlet Exhaust System

Old 09-25-2003, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the touge run with the amuse S2000 today (posted in the talk forum) which has the R1000 titanium single outlet
Shame that it is so expensive it really is a nice aggressive option.

Are zorsts able to be imitated with similar results without the $$$$ that come along with the brand name? Titanium just sounds so expensive doesn't it!

With regards to changing the headers and such as Aus mentioned, Ive read a couple of posts regarding the toda headers and the stage II cams and it sounds like there are some really good gains to be had in this area with regards to hp through the mid range. Ive gotta say its a nice change from the usual story of weight loss + poor sound + 0 to -ve hp gains.

Another thing that I noticed in the touge flick was the weight saving by going with the single outlet ti. 44lbs That really is an incredible amount accounting for approximately 30% of their overall weight loss from memory. Other items were the usual including changing the seats, tools, spare carpet cf hood and cf trunk.

I was surprised though at the amount of weight that they saved with the trunk and hood being very similar amounts considering that most have shown that there is very little advantage to be found in the cf hoods due to our already light Al.

Also whilst I know that the tools and spare are an easy and popular target I didnt realise that if you include the carpet there is about as much to be gained in weight savings as the ~$4000AU R1000 ti zorst.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Our hood is pretty light as it's thin aluminium on a steel frame. Most of the cheap CF hoods are CF on a fibreglass frame and as they aren't particularly well made there is a lot of resin in them. Most are a similar weight to stock. If you buy the Amuse you'll get a high quality low weight hood but boy will you pay for it.

OTOH, the boot is conventional steel construction so there is some weight to be saved there.

Now that I'm FI a freer flowing exhaust should actually net some gains for me. And the best way to do that is with a simpler bigger pipe. 3" diameter, no forks or sharp bends and only a single non-restrictive muffler should do the trick. And if I can keep the weight down too I'm laughing. Yes, it'll be loud, but I'll only use it on the track (and to and from).
Old 09-25-2003, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
i'll be interested in this as well slick
Ti 3 inch, full system sounds good
I like one with power gain and no resonance

Please let me know what you can come up with slick
Old 09-25-2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Austblue
Are zorsts able to be imitated with similar results without the $$$$ that come along with the brand name? Titanium just sounds so expensive doesn't it!
That is one of the aims of this exercise - to be able to produce good quality stuff locally. We also want to make it flexible so people can get what suits them individually.

Ti does sound expensive - I am going to see Mark C today to get some costings, so we will see.

Cheers,

slick
Old 09-25-2003, 02:33 PM

The only problem with me at this stage with exhuast is like
waving a flag saying to the cops come and defect my supercharger. Until I get my engineering certificate I will only be doing my research and saving up $$$$. I will be keen to find out what is available slick.

The legal limit for exhaust noise emission is at 4000 rpm. Most of the exhaust for the S2k will pass this without much problem. The SC makes the stock exhaust a little bit louder than before. However at 9krpm, and the SC I think I will be waving a BIG flag.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:16 PM

The exhaust I'm talking about I would not recommend for road use.

I'll put it on before a track day and use a silencer to and from the event.

I'm even concerned about noise levels at the track as they do have restrictions.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:22 PM

Just to correct what I said earlier here is the list of the diet the Amuse S underwent (all weights are in pounds):

Total weight loss - 226.4

Ti zorst - 45.1
CF hood - 11.5
CF trunk lid - 11.9
Seat - 37.7
Wheels and tyres - 39.3
Steering - 1.0
Piping deletion - 10
Passenger SRS - 7.8
Pomech Battery - 9.2
Spare tyre and mats - 44.8
Others - 8.1

This brings the exhaust to 19% of the overall weight loss.

The difference in weight loss between the hood and the trunk lid is only .4lbs or 0.18grams which seemed very low to me as I said. Like you pointed out Aus the trunk

"is conventional steel construction so there is some weight to be saved there"

but they are only saving the same amount as they do by replacing the Al hood???????

Pipe deletion...... does this refer to removing the cat?

Sorry if Im steering this OT Slick Ill drop it now just wanted to make the point a little more accurate
Old 09-25-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Austblue
The difference in weight loss between the hood and the trunk lid is only .4lbs or
Yes, but the hood is a huge area compared to the trunk. And that is one hellishly expensive hood!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:06 PM

That's what I thought that it must have been. Im yet to see their HT I hear thats another first born modification
Old 09-27-2003, 08:10 PM

About a year and a half ago i went down the path of a single custom exhaust.

I had the stock exhaust cut off at the back of the resonator.
I had a 5zigen miracle fireball muffler with custom stainless stell piping attached on to the back of the resonator. The new piping and the piping coming from the back of the resonator had flanges welded on so I can interchange exhausts by simply unbolting them and switching over.

Piping diammeter is 2.5inches. The 5zigen miracle fireball has beautiful welds and weighs hardly anything (probably around 2 kg).

There probably is not much point replacing the stock resonator as it is not restrictive and replacing it results in an exhaust note with lots of crackling and popping sounds.

My set up was not too loud. Atidle and regular driving it iss only a bit louder than stock. At high RPM's it howls like a biatch!

All up it cost in the high $400's to setup.

PS I'm getting rid of my car ASAP so both my exhaust and Mugen extractors are going on the market.
If anyone is interested PM me.

Quick Reply: Survey re Custom Built Single Outlet Exhaust System